Thread: "Morning In The Streets"

Default "Morning In The Streets"

Having tried for years to find a copy of this film of Liverpool and the Northwest made in 1958, I discovered it today on the following link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/conte..._feature.shtml

The documentary, made by the BBC, was shot in Liverpool, Salford and Stockport and catches those areas in the years immediately before the slum clearance and rebuilding of the 1960s. Anyone able to put a name to the Liverpool locations?

birdseye. Just seen it,yes we realy did live like that,not a lot but happy most of the time.thanks for the link.edwardo

Blog Entries

The teacher blowing the whistle is Mr Cogley, my old headmaster at St Malachy's school in Robertson St, Liverpool 8. He died in 1967. A great man.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Blog Entries

The boys walking across the waste ground are walking across Beaufort St, Liverpool 8. The backs of the house are in New Henderson St. The houses in Beaufort St had been demolished a few years before. We would all play on the waste land until the headmaster blew the whistle to get us into the school. I was born in the basement of one of the demolished houses.

The school is in Robertson St. Robertson St is shown in pan shot. The newish flats seen behind the school are in Upper Mann St. I went to that school in 1959 a year after the film was made. Our teacher was Peter Moloney.

I saw around this time, a football game on that open land between the local lads and the Coolie crew of a ship berthed at Brunswick Dock. The cobbled street was still there, littered with glass fragments, with dirt were the houses were as the film shows. The Coolies played in their bare feet. There must have been a 1000 people around the watching the football game cheering our boys on.

The main sport of the school was boxing, not football. The first sport I ever played with a referee and correct kit was a boxing match at the age of 7 in the basement of the school. The school had no heating system.

Thanks for making me cry.
    Last edited by Waterways; 04-16-2008 at 11:57 PM.

how it once was?

Some of the accents seemed more Rochdale than Liverpool. "Neither use nor ornament" and the way they said door - "dow er"

Interesting to watch whoever they were.

I think some of the accents belong to people from the other places filmed - the lamp posts are also a different pattern to the ones we had here -but even some of the Liverpool voices have a strange tone to them that you don't hear now. My wife, who came from Great Homer St thinks the pub having it's windows washed was near it's junction with Taylor St. The kids 'dipping' to choose football sides really took me back.

I remember watching this film in the early 60s on tv. The lady telling the tale of the vet with his modern hygienic principles really stuck in my mind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GingerTheCat View Post
    Some of the accents seemed more Rochdale than Liverpool. "Neither use nor ornament" and the way they said door - "dow er"

Interesting to watch whoever they were.
    It wasn't all filmed in Liverpool.

My mother said "dow er" not door. She left Liverpool about twice in her life. That was the Lancashire influence on the accent. Some older people said that in those days.
    Last edited by Waterways; 04-16-2008 at 11:55 PM.

how it once was?

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    It wasn't all filmed in Liverpool.

My mother said "dow er" not door. She left Liverpool about twice in her life. That was the Lancashire influence on the accent. Some older people said that in those days.
    my nan used to say it. (.. and she had never left Anfield - let alone Liverpool)

I know someone now who says it - and they are only in thier 50's, so I think some of the pronunciations have carried on even to present day.