Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Time Team Special: The Lost Dock Of Liverpool

They could have just pulled away including a shot of the full hall though - or an ariel view panning over it briefly. I know the subject was not about the hall - but seeing that it was mentioned they could have showed a full shot even very briefly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    They could have just pulled away including a shot of the full hall though - or an ariel view panning over it briefly. I know the subject was not about the hall - but seeing that it was mentioned they could have showed a full shot even very briefly.
    Exactly. The points I mentioned could have been in the narrative. Just a few words that puts the building into perspective.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Blog Entries

We finally get some interesting coverage of Liverpool yet the main thrust of this thread is identifying negativity?
    I was fascinated, and wanted more. Yes, I'd have loved coverage of St George's Hall as well but I'm satisfied with what they got into the 60 minutes.

I thought it was brilliant. Not much new to us learned locals but a great advertisement of the city. You probably can't mention the docks without mentioning slavery but yes a pity about the Nelson statue being confused with it, Franny Carlyle would have put them right and a pity the minton floor of the Georges Hall wasn't captured - even a still from a book would have done - it looked like an advert for a laminate flooring company

Overall, fantastic views and the close ups of Nova Scotia were great.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

PhilipG

I enjoyed it and agree it was a good advert for the city, but I was expecting more computer graphics, and was disappointed with what few we had.
    There is a great painting of Mann Island which could have been used.

I taped it, and edited the adverts out as I was watching it.
    There were loads, which means it was highly rated by the advertisers.

I'm lucky. the adverts are removed before i get it.
    I thought it was quite well done and had a lot of info in the short time.
    Pity they showed that statue giving the impression it was slaves chained up. Someone needs to tell them what it really is.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

"Canning Place is the most historic square in Liverpool, less because of the great name it bears than for the mingled memories ever stirred by mention of the time-honoured term "The Old Dock".
    Where the tides of traffic now roll to and fro in Canning Place, once, stealing under its bridges, came down a little stream through the rushes to meet the waters of the old Pool. Here in time was founded the first dock, the dock which gave the town the fame of possessing the largest enclosed water area in the world. Many a noble enterprise has since been inaugurated along the river front; today a chain of splendid docks link Liverpool from south to north, but, while Liverpool lives, regret will live for the blunder which, in filling up the Old Dock, destroyed Liverpool's first historic shelter for ships."
    Michael O'Mahony: Liverpool Ways and Byways 1930.

Well, the programme certainly was a spectacular PR triumph for 'brave new Liverpool' and, as such, can only be applauded after the years of negative press we've had to put up with. Ought to have the tourists flocking in to see the real thing.

I loved most of it. It was particularly thrilling to see the stones of the Old Dock seeing the light of day once more. Also the fascinating sight of the old river wall and the Nova Scotia dwellings. Also to learn that some, at least, of the Old Dock will be available to view in the new visitor's centre. I nontheless consider that this could have been a golden opportunity to open the whole thing up as a splendid water feature in the midst of the new development. The form of the Old Dock seems to have been perfectly preserved in the street plan when Steers House was sitting on top of it. Or have I missed something?

What else is to be preserved? Grosvenor has a pretty poor reputation here in Chester for historic preservation, having cheerfully trashed the largest and most complete Roman bath house/gymnasium complex- ""with walls up to two hundred feet long, standing to twelve feet in height"- ever found in Britain when they erected their ghastly shopping precinct.

Some gripes...

Their reference to the 'Liver Pool'. I know this was, arguably, where the city's name came from, but all historical references I have ever seen call it merely to 'The Pool".

As ably pointed out in previous posts, the use of the Exchange Flags statue to portray an African in chains- as opposed to the Frenchman or Spaniard he doubtlessly was- was just lazy when much more accurate material was easily available.

Am I alone in thinking that the enormous effort and expense evidently put into that model of the Pool and Old Dock with its silly little toy boats was somewhat pointless and something of a waste of time? Its eventual findings were that a) the Pool had silted by the start of the 18th century- there wasn't much water in it at low tide and there as a bit more at high, and b) the dock was designed so that ships could float level with the quayside. Wow. Surely a simple computer graphic could have done the job better and freed up more time for looking at the real thing?

I would imagine that very much more material was shot- the crew visited the sites several times over a couple of months- but was ruthlessly edited out to make a neat hour long programme. This seems a pity, with so much history and archaeology to cover, a real 'Time Team Special' should have been at least twice as long, or perhaps split into two episodes.
    Last edited by knowhowe; 04-22-2008 at 07:33 PM.
    Chester: a Virtual Stroll Around the Walls-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info

The Liverpool Gallery-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/gallery/liverpool.html

The Chester Shop
    http://www.thechestershop.com

Chester & Liverpool Guided Walks
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/guidedwalks.html

PhilipG

It didn't make it clear where the Old Dock exactly was (apart from showing a 16th century map, and didn't mention what happened to the site of the dock after it was filled in.
    Yes, Steers Hours, etc., was built on the site in the 1960s, but there was no mention of the huge Custom House built on the site in the 1840s, which had extensive cellars, seen very clearly on post WW2 photos.
    Nor did it mention how much of the original dock walls had been removed for those cellars of the Custom House.

The foundations of the Customs House clearly showing form of the Old Dock, early 1950s

Canning Place, early 1960s

Steers House on site of Old Dock, June 2004

Chester: a Virtual Stroll Around the Walls-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info

The Liverpool Gallery-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/gallery/liverpool.html

The Chester Shop
    http://www.thechestershop.com

Chester & Liverpool Guided Walks
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/guidedwalks.html

Nice pics Steve. You haven't got one of the Dolphin pub that was in the Steers House complex have you, I worked in Foster House next door to it for a short while.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

I can't remember did they show any of the Herdman paintings of the Old Dock. He did quite a few as I recall. They are well reproduced in Kay Parrots book on Herdman.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    "the city was not constrained by its past",
    We are locked in the now; between the condemning past and the unknowable future
    Last edited by petromax; 04-22-2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: 'expletive' incorrectly deleted

Quote Originally Posted by petromax View Post
    We are locked in the now; between the ****ing past and the unknowable future
    This looks very odd - I meant to say Dam-ing past
    Last edited by petromax; 04-22-2008 at 04:46 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by knowhowe View Post

The foundations of the Customs House clearly showing form of the Old Dock, early 1950s

Great, clear picture. Where did you get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    The city was not built mainly on slavery and it was wrong to have emphasised that. Liverpool dominated the slave trade but it wasn't key to the city. Slavery was a small part of the overall trade.

They even mentioned one merchant who dabbled in slaves, yet was instrumental in all aspects of the sugar trade as the main business.
    And who grew the sugar?

Slavery involves much more than just the physical trade in slaves.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast