Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Pictorial Record of Every Street in Liverpool

Default A Pictorial Record of Every Street in Liverpool

The aim of this website is to record in photographs every street, road, drive etc (you get the idea!) in Liverpool.

It was first suggested by Tony Siebenthaler, but it was Pat Neil from The Friends of Liverpool Monuments Civic Society who informed me of it. The only way to embark on this project is with your help by sending me your Liverpool Street photos. Every image will be credited with your name. All I ask is that the photograph you submit is taken by you.

A good idea is to keep and retain a hi-res copy before sending me your low-res shot, as it may be requested for use by a publisher. When you send me your photo, please include the name and location i.e. "London Road, Liverpool 3" or by naming your image (.jpgs only please) "L3londonroad". I'll keep the image size to a max of 800 pixels in height and 600 pixels in width.

Well, thats it! Look forward to receiving your photos! Please email them to admin@liverpoolstreets.co.uk

Cheers, Dave Wood
    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

I think this is a great idea to get every single street recorded. Despite the city engineers department records from way back and a one man brave attempt by Harry Ainscough in the late 60s and early 70s, I don't believe this has ever been undertaken before.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Every street ! ? that would mean hundreds ! Quite a task.

I could take a few on my travels - not sure if the pictures would be up to scratch tho' .. and I imagine it would be time consuming uploading them to a host for resizing and then to send.

I'll have a look and see what I've got.

ps,

there are a few streets knocking around on this site.

Gnomie

When you say Liverpool, How far do you mean? Huyton/Prescot are they included? great idea this. do you have any areas covered or know of areas with no interest so far? maybe people could say where they can do, then others could do different locations.

Parts of Old Swan and Huyton are good for me
    good luck

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Every street ! ? that would mean hundreds ! Quite a task.

I could take a few on my travels - not sure if the pictures would be up to scratch tho' .. and I imagine it would be time consuming uploading them to a host for resizing and then to send.

I'll have a look and see what I've got.

ps,

there are a few streets knocking around on this site.
    I have seen some of your past pictures, LL, and they are good. So I don't think you'll have any problem quality-wise.
    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    When you say Liverpool, How far do you mean? Huyton/Prescot are they included? great idea this. do you have any areas covered or know of areas with no interest so far? maybe people could say where they can do, then others could do different locations.

Parts of Old Swan and Huyton are good for me
    good luck
    I can't really answer whether Huyton and Prescot are to be included, but I would imagine that they should be part of this great task.
    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

PhilipG

To get a decent record of the average street would take at least 4 photos.
    Both sides from both ends.

On a flickr site somebody was asking for somebody to take photos of some Liverpool streets for him.
    I offered, and he sent back a list and asked could I take both sides (presumably from both ends), then stand in the middle and take overall views.
    (While standing on my head and whistling? I was tempted to ask).

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    To get a decent record of the average street would take at least 4 photos.
    Both sides from both ends.

On a flickr site somebody was asking for somebody to take photos of some Liverpool streets for him.
    I offered, and he sent back a list and asked could I take both sides (presumably from both ends), then stand in the middle and take overall views.
    (While standing on my head and whistling? I was tempted to ask).
    ! you make me chuckle I get a vision of you standing on your head Philip !

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

This is a very difficult task indeed!

I've been working towards getting every street in Wallasey photographed (which is going alright atm) but it can be troublesome. The way I have attacked some streets is just by taking images of them from the bottom of the street. Some roads do have more than one...it all depends on the geography of the area. It's amazing how many are cul-de-sacs!

It is a good idea to get a team of you together; I have found that a task like this is rather time consuming...and I am doing something in a place that could fit twice over inside Liverpool probably!
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

Good luck with this project, but I prefer to do every street as a solo effort. The first place I noticed an attempt to record all streets, was Wigan a couple of years ago.
    http://www.wiganworld.co.uk/streets/index.php

I had a look around this morning when walking the dog. Photographing streets is not as easy as it sounds .. some are in two sections, some are curved. The other difficulty is actually taking a photo without looking suspicious !! There were too many people about where I was and every street I looked at there were workmen, window cleaners, phone engineers, Also, a lot of streets are clogged up with cars which spoils the view. I ended up not taking any pics !

I will take a few sneaky pics when possible. it will take time.

ADW, I will send you a few I already have on file.

AD, I've sent a few e-mails with attachments. Can you let me know if they are ok.

come on everyone get cracking !

Over a dozen already submitted by me.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

I had a look around this morning when walking the dog. Photographing streets is not as easy as it sounds .. some are in two sections, some are curved. The other difficulty is actually taking a photo without looking suspicious !! There were too many people about where I was and every street I looked at there were workmen, window cleaners, phone engineers, Also, a lot of streets are clogged up with cars which spoils the view. I ended up not taking any pics !

LL, I am not running the website just passing on the information. They will no doubt to put up on the website when the webmaster has the time.

Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Don't I know about it all too well!!!!

I had a brainwave...the best way to do this is to get a team of photograpers together and then allocate areas for them to photograph. This makes that task of actually collating images less daunting.

What are peoples view on that???
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast