Thread: Park for 08?

Lightbulb Park for 08?

I don't know about anyone else but I would love to see a new city centre park created for CoC year. As much as all the development is good, there is less and less open space.
    I would like to see the council clear a large piece of land somewhere in the city centre and create a brand new open space, managed by the council with some sort of central feature to commemorate 08.
    We desperately need new open spaces in the city centre and it's something I feel very strongly about. I know we have the new chavasse park but this is privately managed and will be full of shoppers.
    Whilst on the subject of parks, I would also like to see everton park refurbished. This could be a great park and has some of the best views of the city centre

Last edited by AK1; 04-08-2008 at 05:45 PM.

I love the Parks there.. It was loverly to sit at Chavesse Park and listen to the concerts during August Festivals.. Has Sefton Parks conservation project (relocating birds etc. to Calderstone) finish yet?

I definitely agree here.. All cities need some green tranquility for lunch times and just anytimes to enjoy a relax... Any projects coming up there AK1?

Blog Entries

South Liverpool is blessed with many parks and other green areas. They've created what must be the best playground for kids (location) at Otterspool.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by naked lilac View Post
    I love the Parks there.. It was loverly to sit at Chavesse Park and listen to the concerts during August Festivals.. Has Sefton Parks conservation project (relocating birds etc. to Calderstone) finish yet?

I definitely agree here.. All cities need some green tranquility for lunch times and just anytimes to enjoy a relax... Any projects coming up there AK1?
    Not that I know of. I am going to write to the council regarding everton park and to the culture company regarding a park for 08.
    I will get back to you when I hear something.

Ta.. AK1... at least you get out there and try and make things happen for the best of your community.. I applaud you mate... Will be watching for updates..

Smile

I have had a response from the council regarding Everton park. They have informed me that there are plans in place for the refurbishment of the park to coincide with 'Project Jennifer'. The plans include:

- New housing around periphery of the park
    - New cycling routes across park and improved transport links
    - General improvements to the park
    - Creation of artwork/visitor attraction on Everton Brow
    - A current assesment of how the park contributes to the wider aspects of health and economic regeneration.

All sounds very promising! I'm still waiting for a response regarding a new park for 08. Will keep you informed.

AK1 at least all your efforts help in showing the authorities.. Community cares... May I please ask , what is Jennifers project?

Quote Originally Posted by naked lilac View Post
    AK1 at least all your efforts help in showing the authorities.. Community cares... May I please ask , what is Jennifers project?
    Project Jennifer is a massive regeneration project in the Great Homer street area of Everton. It is currently in the consultation stage but has overwhealming support from locals and the council.
    It involves creating new housing, a new supermarket, new market, health centre, school, library, environmental and security improvements and a community centre.
    All this will be in the most deprived area of Liverpool, vastly improving the life of locals. It actually covers an area nearly three times the size of Liverpool One.

More info here: http://www.liverpool.gov.uk/Business...ifer/index.asp

AK1...tarra...Sounds very promising for all concerned..

There is a north, south divide, as regarding the parks in Liverpool. Newsham, Stanley and Walton Hall park are in total neglect. Any comments on this?

Regards Samp (Senior Surfer)

Quote Originally Posted by Samp View Post
    There is a north, south divide, as regarding the parks in Liverpool. Newsham, Stanley and Walton Hall park are in total neglect. Any comments on this?

Regards Samp (Senior Surfer)
    Definately. The parks in the north of the city are always left to deteriorate.

Newsham park is the nearest park to the city centre (15 minuets by bus, five by car) as a Victorian park it should be in its prime.Nature is the only parkkeeper at the moment.

Samp

Lightbulb

Stanley park is currently being restored and there is a plan in place for the refurbishment of newsham. Walton park has had alot of money spent on it over the past few years but this has been mainly on new access gates and the sports centre. Some money has been spent on installing the new exercise equiptment, similair to the ones in otterspool.
    I do think the council need to spend more money on environmental improvements though such as new trees, restoration of the lake and better maintenance etc.

I get your drift Samp but I suspect Princes Park is probably nearer the city centre than Newsham?

I know it's strictly Sefton but there are some parks in Bootle and Crosby too.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.