Thread: Durning Road fire engine crash

Default Durning Road fire engine crash

Does anyone know anything or remember anything about a crash between a fire engine from Durning Road and a bus at the junction of Durning, Wavertree and Tunnel Roads on either 1st October 1972 or 2nd October 1972. The reason I'd like to know is that I was born on the 1st in Oxford Street and my dad was the driver of the aforementioned fire engine and ended up fairly seriously injured. My dad told me once that the story appeared in the Echo (would I be able to contact them to confirm this?) I would be really grateful if anyone had any info on this

If it appeared in the Echo Chris, the records office have them on microfisch.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Wow now there is a blast from the past, I was ten years of age and was a witness to a crash between a bus and a fire engine near the Liver buildings as far as I recall the bus hit the fire engine which had gone through a red light turning right, the front of the bus was squashed up and I recon the driver died but as a child I was not told either way. The fire engine overturned, I think onto the drivers side and skidded on its side for about 100 ft give or take a foot or two. I had to give a statement to the police at the scene and also to a fire officer who turned up who just happened to be my uncle.

The funny thing is I was in Liverpool last night for the first time in 5 yrs to take my wife and daughter to the Echo arena to watch the Backstreet Boys and as I drove past the spot where it happened I pointed it out to them and told them the story then today I log on to here for the first time in months and read your post..................how wierd is that?