Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Irish Pride

Gnomie

Default My Irish Pride

Great Hunger Memorial Liverpool

My Irish Pride

I have placed this here to remember our Irish ancestors, and their contribution to this city. It is here only to respect them, and the heritage we have in this city, not to have a go at any other groups. I placed it here as nothing much is on this forum to the Irish. Now have a Guinness and enjoy

Like most, my Irish ancestors had to fight terrible poverty and appalling housing conditions. My Great Great Grandparents Michael and Margaret Cain, both died within hours of each other of bronchitis, on Christmas eve 1874. Having no money they where buried in paupers graves at Ford cemetery, but at least the records show they where buried together in the same grave. A lot of my Irish ancestors would follow the same path of pauper burial. Today all I have to remember them by, is a field in Ford cemetery. Once a year I place flowers in the center of the field, before moving them to the No Name memorial. A small token of remembrance for my kin.

As well as hardship, they had to face the wrath of people who thought them Scum, adding insult to their despair. Yet by sticking together they found strength, a bond that brought them hope and helped them to carry on. They formed their own communities, involved other immigrant groups, and lived together side by side. They worked the factories and docks or peddled their goods, sang songs of the homeland, and danced to fine music. Against all odds they rose and spread into the city, they survived, because of their strength I am here today, proud to have their blood running through my veins, their knowledge in my thoughts, their love in my heart.

To the present day my family still travels to and fro from Liverpool to Ireland, visiting relatives. Flying is far more easy than our ancestors sea voyage. The first time I set foot in Ireland I felt that I belong, It is my history, and my ancestors homeland. In June of this year another influx of Irish will arrive, this time for my wedding, and the pubs will take a belting. Happy days for happy people.

Mersey reporter http://www.merseyreporter.com/histor...igration.shtml

BBC legacies http://www.bbc.co.uk/legacies/immig_...rticle_1.shtml

Liverpool Remembers http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...11/ai_30151745

Liverpool and the great hunger http://www.irishholocaust.org/liverpoolandthegreat

BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2852029.stm

St Michaels Irish Centre http://www.stmichaelsirishcentre.org/

The great hunger potato famine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Potato_Famine

ICLiverpool plans to resurrect the Irish Centre http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0...name_page.html

The Catholic cathedral is nicknamed Paddy's Wigwam.

We have so many Irish pubs.

We have an Irish festival.

The St Patrick's day march along Scottie and Vauxhall road is back, the flags where flying high and looking great.

many Irish names roads, lots in Old Swan.

Plaques to the famine victims located around the city.

Plenty ive missed, but aint it great to see the heritage remembered.

Oh yeah- and cheap flights to Ireland

I also have Swedish, Welsh and English in my ancestry. Most of it is Irish, Hence my pride

Famine Statues Dublin

The Statues are located at Custom house Quay

The Quay was the walkway the victims once walked along to the coffin ships.

Statue Info http://earthanduniverse.blogspot.com...resent_27.html
    Last edited by Gnomie; 04-01-2008 at 05:57 PM.

Blog Entries

OK your ancestors were Irish. Give it a rest.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

[QUOTE=Gnomie;122888]

Great Hunger Memorial Liverpool

My Irish Pride

I have placed this here to remember our Irish ancestors, and their contribution to this city. It is here only to respect them, and the heritage we have in this city, not to have a go at any other groups. I placed it here as nothing much is on this forum to the Irish. Now have a Guinness and enjoy

Like most, my Irish ancestors had to fight terrible poverty and appalling housing conditions. My Great Great Grandparents Michael and Margaret Cain, both died within hours of each other of bronchitis, on Christmas eve 1874. Having no money they where buried in paupers graves at Ford cemetery, but at least the records show they where buried together in the same grave. A lot of my Irish ancestors would follow the same path of pauper burial. Today all I have to remember them by, is a field in Ford cemetery. Once a year I place flowers in the center of the field, before moving them to the No Name memorial. A small token of remembrance for my kin.

As well as hardship, they had to face the wrath of people who thought them Scum, adding insult to their despair. Yet by sticking together they found strength, a bond that brought them hope and helped them to carry on. They formed their own communities, involved other immigrant groups, and lived together side by side. They worked the factories and docks or peddled their goods, sang songs of the homeland, and danced to fine music. Against all odds they rose and spread into the city, they survived, because of their strength I am here today, proud to have their blood running through my veins, their knowledge in my thoughts, their love in my heart.

To the present day my family still travels to and fro from Liverpool to Ireland, visiting relatives. Flying is far more easy than our ancestors sea voyage. The first time I set foot in Ireland I felt that I belong, It is my history, and my ancestors homeland. In June of this year another influx of Irish will arrive, this time for my wedding, and the pubs will take a belting. Happy days for happy people.

Nice to hear about your Irish family Gnomie. I too have lots of Irish blood and am very proud of the fact they survived even though the odds where against them. I hope that is where I get my spirit from. Love the photos not seen those statues before.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

Gnomie

Thanks Sweetcheeks

Great to hear of your Irish ancestors

Sadly this thread has already gone down hill. I have always had respect for other groups/cultures, seems others dont.

Is it really worth staying here anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    Thanks Sweetcheeks

Great to hear of your Irish ancestors

Sadly this thread has already gone down hill. I have always had respect for other groups/cultures, seems others dont.

Is it really worth staying here anymore

Yes it most certainly is YOU would be missed, you brighten our day with your chat. There will always be people that only see the negative in everything and we will never change that so rise above it and keep smiling
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

I live in Donegal Ireland but I am originally from Derry, NI.

Gnomie - Great to hear about your Irish ancestory and what they went through to make Liverpool what it is today and that your family and friends also still celebrate and are still proud of their ancestory.

100% Irish

I have mainly Welsh and English blood in me, but I find this thread most interesting. Good work, Gnomie.

Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

ditto.

I don't have Irish in my family but I found Gnomie's post very interesting to read. Those statues are very interesting, I havn't seen them before.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    ditto.

I don't have Irish in my family but I found Gnomie's post very interesting to read. Those statues are very interesting, I havn't seen them before.
    I have too and havn't seen those before. Cheers Toe!
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

those statues in Dublin are haunting. I only had a small memory card at the time so didn't take as many photos as I'd have liked.

taken Feb 2005
    Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

Great thread Tony. With a surname like mine, I always knew there was Irish in me somewhere down the line, thanks for finding it for me, you're a star.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Gnomie

Bloomin Eck great replies ( apart from one ) im glad i put this here now

Nice pic of the statues quincyg they are very haunting, some close up pics of them here http://www.flickr.com/photos/pamilne...7594465492346/

and here http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimblis...7600031130957/

It is amazing to watch peoples reactions to the statues, they turn a rowdy bunch into sombre souls. I always try to go and see them when im in Dublin, I think it would be nice if Liverpool had a set of statues arriving in our city.

Kev with a surname like yours I think you may find an Irish connection if you look through records, I have seen you name appear a lot on church records from Scottie/vauxhall road areas.

Thanks again Im glad you like it, My Irish connection is really important to me.

Tony

Apart from the 2 Kevin Keegans we all know - there was a father and son redheads with that name in Gerard Gardens in my time there. Bloody commoners
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Gnomie

Ged sent me some cracking photos of the Paddy's day parade

Post them Ged!!!! Post them!!!!

It made me laugh and think about my Nanna, She used to send us to Irish dancing lessons, saying "its in your blood". It may have been in me blood but it was'nt in me bloomin feet, I was rubbish, but it was great fun.

She would tell us stories of Ireland, Of the great hunger, the proud people and all the legends of the Isle( im sure she made most of it up) not bad for a girl born in Bootle she told us the stories where passed down from our Kin, "never forget your roots are in Ireland" she would say. A real star my Nanna.

Blog Entries

Default My African Pride

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010097_JPG.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	5935  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast