Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loss of Public Spaces

Default Loss of Public Spaces

Did anyone else see this in the Guardian on Saturday?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...29/communities

The section on Liverpool is about half way down.

Scary stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by RoddersUK View Post
    Did anyone else see this in the Guardian on Saturday?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...29/communities

The section on Liverpool is about half way down.

Scary stuff.
    People don't question anything any more - that's the problem. They get their bank statements and don't question everything, they are told to pay council tax and just pay it, no one seems to sit down and work out why things are happening in Liverpool and is it legal for them to do this?

It would be interesting to find a 'public footpath' from ancient times running through the Paradise project

Blog Entries

Isn't it funny when during the 80's no one was here fighting for redevelopment then and no one was commenting then. Who used Cavasse Park anyway?

There are alot of people who write reports like this because its their job and only becuase they can compare one period in time to another, the latter being when Liverpool City Centre was a ghost town.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Seems a little out of date. Maybe the Guardian could do a follow up in 2008?
    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

]Who used Cavasse Park anyway?
    It isn't a question of who used it but why should we not still have it? It was a lovely place to go to sit down on a piece of grass by the Albert Dock which wasn't surrounded by cars. People left their offices and sat down for lunch on a sunny day.

Where do you see a patch of grass in the City Centre today?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post

Where do you see a patch of grass in the City Centre today?
    The soon to be completed Chavasse Park. I'd much rather spend time amongst the new park than amongst maybe one or two people sitting on that sorrowful bench that used to be in the middle of it.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    The soon to be completed Chavasse Park. I'd much rather spend time amongst the new park than amongst maybe one or two people sitting on that sorrowful bench that used to be in the middle of it.
    that's right kev. I can't remember anyone using Chavasse park much. I have spoken to people who say they didn't even know there was a park !
    All I remember is a bit of grass where you cut through over to Paradise st way. There was a concert or two there wasn't there ? and a bit of a fairground sometimes I think.

I am hoping that the new improvements will make the place look like what you would call a park.

Have you seen the plans for it? A 'walled' garden! About as much room to swing a cat and everyone will be rushing for the overhead sun at 12pm.

At least Chavasse park was 'open' - but to say that no one used it so it should be built on, I've never seen a single person in Reynolds Park in Woolton when I go, should that go the same way?

Same as Everton Park - - you hardly see a soul in there. Just the odd dog walker and a few cars parked up over looking the view. In the main it is an empty park.

Chavasse Park - maybe some nice new features will give it a bit of interest.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    Have you seen the plans for it? A 'walled' garden! About as much room to swing a cat and everyone will be rushing for the overhead sun at 12pm.

At least Chavasse park was 'open' - but to say that no one used it so it should be built on, I've never seen a single person in Reynolds Park in Woolton when I go, should that go the same way?

Come on Cad, you can't compare a seriously depressed part of what should have been a vibrant part of Liverpool City Centre to a posh South Liverpool park in a leafy suburb!

I'm more likely to take my family to that park than anywhere in town, unless its shopping anyway
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Come on Cad, you can't compare a seriously depressed part of what should have been a vibrant part of Liverpool City Centre to a posh South Liverpool park in a leafy suburb!

I'm more likely to take my family to that park than anywhere in town, unless its shopping anyway

I agree that no one touched the park at all, and most people didn't know it was a park, my only gripe is that it was one of the biggest area's of grassland in the city centre where, if you wanted to crash out, you could.

I'm not for or against the new development, I'm saying that it's just a shame that open space had to be used up for more shops, when we have enough shops closing down as it is, and not enough green space in the city centre.

Blog Entries

What about behind St. Georges Hall?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

It's surrounded by car fumes

Blog Entries

...are there any more green spaces in the city centre?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

St. Nick's gardens and a small garden on Mount Pleasent opposite the car park, Kev. Also St. James' Gardens near the Anglican Cathedral.
    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast