Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forgotten Station: International Exhibition Liverpool 1886

Railway Signal Engineer mikewturner's Avatar

Default Forgotten Station: International Exhibition Liverpool 1886

Hi Guys

With all the talk on here re forgotten and 'might have been' stations I have never seen mention of the one provided for the International Exhibition of 1886 near Edge Hill.

Do people know about this?

Regards

Mike

Bob Pixton mentions, & has photo of, Exhibition junction signalbox in his book Liverpool & Manchester. He says the exhibition was held at nearby Edge lane hall. Any station would have been temporary.
    Last edited by merseywail; 03-23-2008 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by merseywail View Post
    Bob Pixton mentions, & has photo of, Exhibition junction signalbox in his book Liverpool & Manchester. He says the exhibition was held at nearby Edge lane hall.
    Hi

Interestingly the signal box was only named Exhibition Junction in the late 50's/early 60's in connection with the Edge Hill resignalling scheme. Prior to that it was named Edge Hill No.13 although I believe it was known as Exhibition Jcn. by railwaymen. This particular box was new in 1929 and it would have been the old box it replaced which signalled the trains into the Exhibition Station.

The Exhibition was held near Edge Lane Hall but not in it. Bob Pinxton's captions often need to be taken with a pinch of salt......

Regards

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikewturner View Post

The Exhibition was held near Edge Lane Hall but not in it. Bob Pinxton's captions often need to be taken with a pinch of salt......

Regards

Mike
    Captions on the back of old prints can be misleading, as i myself have found.
    Last edited by merseywail; 03-23-2008 at 06:14 PM.

Not of Edge Hill itself but I've got 14 glass plate scans from the conversion of the Edge Hill to Lime Street tunnel to the now cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl View Post
    Not of Edge Hill itself but I've got 14 glass plate scans from the conversion of the Edge Hill to Lime Street tunnel to the now cutting.
    I take it these are the ones from the NRM collection?

Mike

Captions on the back of old prints can be misleading, as i myself have found.
    Bobs problem is he never lets the truth get in the way of a good caption. All of his books are like this not just the Liverpool to Manchester ones.

Mike

Anyway back to the thread....

Extract from map showing site of exhibition in relation to the railway

Artists impression of the exhibition from a souvenir booklet published by Lewis's store

Note what appears to be railway lines curving in to the exhibition at the far end. Interestingly research seems to show the station to have been at the near end on Exhibition Road so this could just be the artists representation of the Bootle Branch.

More to come.

Mike

I take it these are the ones from the NRM collection?

Mike
    Given to me by my uncle who has an interest in trains - not sure where they are from.

Bobs problem is he never lets the truth get in the way of a good caption. All of his books are like this not just the Liverpool to Manchester ones.

Mike
    I will have to take what he says in his books carefuly then. You would expect publishers to insist the author has done his research. I can't see a line or sta on the map , except Edge hill, but the artist impression seems to show lines running to the site, temporary lines maybe ? There is what looks like a goods shed near Botanic rd could this be it, or did they use the shed for passengers ?
    Last edited by merseywail; 03-24-2008 at 01:31 PM.

Given to me by my uncle who has an interest in trains - not sure where they are from.
    I have started a new thread 'Fourteen Tunnels to Lime Street' to split this interesting subject off.

Mike

I will have to take what he says in his books carefuly then. You would expect publishers to insist the author has done his research. I can't see a line or sta on the map , except Edge hill, but the artist impression seems to show lines running to the site, temporary lines maybe ? There is what looks like a goods shed near Botanic rd could this be it, or did they use the shed for passengers ?

The artists view is from a position above Botanic Park and the road in the foreground is Exhibition Road. Edge Lane is to the left. The lines curving to the right are going towards Wavertree and Mossley Hill stations, straight on is towards Broad Green and those curving to the left are assumed to be where the artist has positioned the station. As I said previously my research shows it to be on Exhibition Road.

Regards

Mike

The artists view is from a position above Botanic Park and the road in the foreground is Exhibition Road. Edge Lane is to the left. The lines curving to the right are going towards Wavertree and Mossley Hill stations, straight on is towards Broad Green and those curving to the left are assumed to be where the artist has positioned the station. As I said previously my research shows it to be on Exhibition Road.

Regards

Mike
    The lines seem to be a tad close to the edge of the park though this is obviously only a drawing. You can see Wavertree Curve to the right and if you know your line, the bootle branch veering off to the left.

The lines seem to be a tad close to the edge of the park though this is obviously only a drawing. You can see Wavertree Curve to the right and if you know your line, the bootle branch veering off to the left.

I agree that the lines veering off to the left are probably the Bootle Branch although technically they should come off beyond Wavertree curve and the view should be blocked by Picko Lane overbridge. But as you say it's obviously only a drawing.

Mike

More evidence found on the internet at

http://www.studygroup.org.uk/Article...%20Gypsies.htm

The Royal Epping Forest Gipsy Encampment at the International Exhibition, Liverpool. 1886 by Sharon Floate

The 1886 Exhibition was a landmark event in Liverpool’s civic history, being the first great International Exhibition to be held outside London. It took place in buildings specially erected for the event on a site that lay due east of the present day Wavertree Park and Botanic Gardens in Edge Hill, with Edge Lane as the northern boundary of the grounds. A special railway station was also constructed to bring visitors to the exhibition, called ‘Exhibition Road’..................

snipped

Extract from the Liverpool Mercury

and The New York Times

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast