Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breck Road, Everton

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Leary's mortuary taken on 18.6.1921. Does anyone know anything about it or where exactly it was?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

(LRO)

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

Found it. Described on the back of the LRO photo as Leary's mortuary, i've found in my Edwardian A-Z by Paul Bolger that J. Leary undertakers (one of a few actually on Breck Road by the looks of it) was at No.188, one property down from Agate Street on the South side of Breck Road - on the block from Agate st to Edensor Terrace. The row of houses in the distance will be the rears of Barnes Street.
    Ged,I think that is behind what became Rays pottery.The houses are Breck Rd not Barns St,see the shop fronts.They will be between Fowler and Hunt streets.

Yes, it looks more like it could be a view of the Breck rd shops.

Had a chat with a brother,2 brain cells are better than one.On the other side of the white wall with the trees behind would be where Tescos was built.
    I rember looking out of my bedroom window and you could see that entrance and the buildings.
    I think the building on the right of the row is on the corner of Hunt St and was a bakery.Going by the double windows on the first floor.Our place on the other side of Hunt St was the same.

Ah, great stuff so the photographer has come down that cobbled dog leg alley from Breck Road which is in the distance. I take it this has all gone then?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

This is the block between Fowler & Hunt st. (to the right of the picture where the cars are parked in the foreground).
    The newer buildings opposite on the left are situated to the front of where the undertakers was ?? - will that be right Gnasher ?

Agate st of Breck rd.

The tall building in the background used to be Social security offices in Pickering st right by Barnes st.
    Agate st shows up on the map as still being curved - it curves around the back of the Iceland supermarket which is now their car park.

That looks about right as to how Gnasher described it Lindy. Agate street was just up from the Royal pub on the corner of Breckfield Road South.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

I think that the entrance was where the 'Banana Bunch' veg shop is now.The long shop next door with the fancy bits one the roof was Tescos.

I used to live around that area myself (Castor Street which ran between Belmont Road and Larch Lea). Just found this on this website http://www.webbuilders.co.nz/ribble/history.htm I know it doesn't show a lot but it's something.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Edenson Terrace.jpg 
Views:	622 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	24114

I've never done this before so I'm hoping it's all going to work out!!

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Nice one Gary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12