Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: THE Jacaranda bar

  1. #1
    Creator & Administrator Kev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Under The Stairs >> Under The Mud.
    Posts
    7,488
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default THE Jacaranda bar

    THE Jacaranda bar, in Liverpool's Slater Street, is to receive an illustrious national award. more

    Advertisements -------
    Become A Supporter 👇


    Buy Me A Coffee




    Donate Via PayPal


    Donate


  2. #2
    Otterspool Onomatopoeia Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Nowhere
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,908
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Whyisn't that as know as the Cavern then outside of Liverpool?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

  3. #3
    Member Wormella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    L3
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Thats one of my favourite pubs that. Yeah for the Jac!!

  4. #4
    Too old to suffer sweetpatooti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Garston
    Posts
    145
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Best Pubs

    Don't get out much now (sigh!) but pre kids and marriage and stuff - way back in the 70s/80s we used to go the Jacaranda sometimes. We used to go a club in Bold Street called the Odd Spot as well. Do any really very elderly people remember going to Eric's - Pete Burns used to go and he was really big and terrifying(!). There was a girl who used to use a kettle for a handbag....ahh punk rock..

  5. #5
    Senior Member Howie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kensington, Liverpool
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,195
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default


  6. #6
    Senior Member Howie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kensington, Liverpool
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,195
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Do any really very elderly people remember going to Eric's
    See www.liverpoolthen.co.uk (currently under construction) when it's back up-and-running.


  7. #7
    Creator & Administrator Kev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Under The Stairs >> Under The Mud.
    Posts
    7,488
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Howie
    Who's that waving?
    Become A Supporter 👇


    Buy Me A Coffee




    Donate Via PayPal


    Donate


  8. #8
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,677
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpatooti
    Don't get out much now (sigh!) but pre kids and marriage and stuff - way back in the 70s/80s we used to go the Jacaranda sometimes. We used to go a club in Bold Street called the Odd Spot as well. Do any really very elderly people remember going to Eric's - Pete Burns used to go and he was really big and terrifying(!). There was a girl who used to use a kettle for a handbag....ahh punk rock..
    I only just read this post. I remember the 'Odd Spot' club, but don't think I went there. I went to Erics quite a few times. (Not 'cos I was a punk - but to see reggae bands who used to play there.) I remember the trannies putting on their lippy in the ladies toilets !

    I used to go in 'Probe ' record shop buy reggae albums. There was a club up the stairs at the back - can't for the life of me think what it was called (it was a man's name !) .. anyway we used to go there.

  9. #9
    Too old to suffer sweetpatooti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Garston
    Posts
    145
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Thumbs up

    I remember that shop well - used to go in of a dinner hour and look at the records - they used to sell stuff from the States (Stax) Otis and Aretha, Eddie Floyd - and you had to but little plastic middles to be able to play them (anyone who has owned vinyl will know what I mean) - I think Pete Burns worked there are one time. I never went the club though - used to go the Sportsman to see Supercharge (I knew she was a lady cos she moved the dishes first - one of their songs). And later on towards the end of the 70s we used to go to Tiffany's during our dinner and have a dance and a lager - they used to play good funk...can't drink and work now can ya?

  10. #10
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,677
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Yeah, I used to get my Soul records in Probe ... stuff like Eddie Floyd, Aretha, etc, as you say. I was only ever into black music, Soul,funk, Motown, reggae. We would go to clubs which specialised in this music. ie; the Victoriana,the Mardi-gras, the Timepiece. Going back a really long time ... do you remember the 'All Fours' club in Eberle st (off Dale st) ?

    The other place we would go to see live bands was 'Reeces' in Parker st.
    I saw Edwin Star there.

    OMG ! We done some good dancing in those days ! Proper 'Soul' steps from America .. usually with a James Brown influence !

  11. #11
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,677
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpatooti
    I remember that shop well - used to go in of a dinner hour and look at the records - they used to sell stuff from the States (Stax) Otis and Aretha, Eddie Floyd - and you had to but little plastic middles to be able to play them (anyone who has owned vinyl will know what I mean) - I think Pete Burns worked there are one time. I never went the club though - used to go the Sportsman to see Supercharge (I knew she was a lady cos she moved the dishes first - one of their songs). And later on towards the end of the 70s we used to go to Tiffany's during our dinner and have a dance and a lager - they used to play good funk...can't drink and work now can ya?

    I remember 'Supercharge' well ... Albie Donnelly (I'm sure I posted a pic of Supercharge here on the forum one time.)

    ... and ... yes, I remember the plastic middles for the singles records. I've still got lots of them gathering dust somewhere. Had lots of Otis ones like that.

    Otis ................ phew !! say no more !! What a voice! Pure Soul.

    Sorry, I'm getting carried away here ... Sweetpatooti you started me on a fave subject !

  12. #12
    Too old to suffer sweetpatooti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Garston
    Posts
    145
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    aaahh Otis I love all that old 60s Soul - loads of atmosphere. Remember Carla Thomas - she was great she did Tramp with Otis Albie Donnelly - I had forgot his name - big beard and baldy head. Those were the days - we have led parallel lives lindylou!!!

  13. #13
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,677
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    I saw Carla Thomas on the Empire.

  14. #14
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,677
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lindylou
    I only just read this post. I remember the 'Odd Spot' club, but don't think I went there. I went to Erics quite a few times. (Not 'cos I was a punk - but to see reggae bands who used to play there.) I remember the trannies putting on their lippy in the ladies toilets !

    I used to go in 'Probe ' record shop buy reggae albums. There was a club up the stairs at the back - can't for the life of me think what it was called (it was a man's name !) .. anyway we used to go there.
    ... it just came to me in a flash ... it was called 'Bucks Place'

  15. #15
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,677
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpatooti
    aaahh Otis I love all that old 60s Soul - loads of atmosphere. Remember Carla Thomas - she was great she did Tramp with Otis Albie Donnelly - I had forgot his name - big beard and baldy head. Those were the days - we have led parallel lives lindylou!!!
    have a look at this web-site ;

    http://www.superchargeonline.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68