Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Old Trash" - Phantom Black Dogs around the Formby/Southport area

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenkethPedant View Post
    Right,wsteve -I hadn`t spotted the photo dating; this is all very odd - my recollection of the monuments and gravestones in the mid50s is strong, I wonder if I had a `time-slip`, similar to those reported in Bold Street; maybe I should have a word with Tom Slemen.....
    Possibly,you're thinking of another cemetery? Maybe Toxteth,which has many victorian memorials/stones,and you would pass this on a main rd!

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Possibly,you're thinking of another cemetery? Maybe Toxteth,which has many victorian memorials/stones,and you would pass this on a main rd!
    I`ve been on a Ranger tour of Toxteth Cemetery,it was definitely Grant Gardens , "The Old Necropolis". I was working in the bank which was embodied in the Hippodrome opposite. The manager,Mr.Patterson, told me of the cemetery and how it used to be called The Old Necropolis. Maybe my memory is simply of old photos of when it was full of memorials and gravestones.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by merseywail View Post
    No offence intended its just my personal opinion on the subject. Am sure there are many who are fascinated by these myths, am just not one of them. There are lots of modern "tail's" that one day am sure will become folk law, crop circles, moon landing hoax, 911 conspiracies, ufo's, etc. I just don't understand why people choose to believe in such things. Perhaps your studies could enlighten us.
    Ah, no problem, I must have just had a bit of a cob on that day.

One of the best articles I've ever read on the subject of Black Dog folklore was "A Strange and Terrible Wonder" by Clare Stubbs, published in Fortean Times #195, April 2005. Definitely worth tracking down if you're interested in that kind of thing.
    Comments? Questions? Subjects you'd like to see covered here?
    email me

Visit my website:
    moorereppion.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenkethPedant View Post
    Well, that`s off my chest. I read John Reppion`s book "800 Years of Haunted Liverpool" and it is excellent. One of the photos (Liver Building) is a bit misleading as only the top section of its two towers are visible behind the Post of Liverpool Building. There were a couple of misprints, but I realise I`m nitpicking! The feature on the Old Necropolis/Grant Gardens interested me - more anon.
    Thanks for your kind words ThePenkethPedant, very glad you enjoyed the book.

Not sure what you mean about the Liverbuilding image being misleading... all the photos are unedited so whatever's there on the page is what I (or my wife) took.
    email me

Visit my website:
    moorereppion.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    The Necropolis was closed about 1910,and converted to a public park,Grant gardens,which opened a couple of years later!
    Test drilling around that area,recently,re' the proposed Merseytram route,uncovered human remains,so you can only assume that all remains, weren't removed!

Pic's courtesy of L.R.O.
    Fantastic images wsteve55.

In answer to ThePenkenthPedant's question - monuments were supposed to be moved to St James' (if I remember correctly) but, as you can see from wsteve55's images, there were a hell of a lot of them and lots of heavy, intricate ones too. I would suspect that many (especially the obelisk type ones) we're "reclaimed" and "recycled".
    email me

Visit my website:
    moorereppion.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123