Thread: Hall road train crash

Default Hall road train crash

Does anyone remember the crash at hall rd, 4 july 1977. It happened after the signalman at eccles crossing let a liverpool bound train, (the 20.30) into the eccles crossing to hall rd section, before he received ''train out of section'' for the previous train, (the 20.15) Also the driver of the 20.30 train who didn't keep proper look out. I have read that the trains on this line, (the class 502's), when they came to be scraped, had to be fired to remove all non metal content including blue asbestos. The passengers on the crashed trains reported of ''smoke & dust'' & ''we all breathed it in''. The report into the crash says that the side panelling inside the coaches was split. Could this smoke & dust they breathed in have been asbestos ? I don't know much about asbestos, but could this have had any health effect's years later ?

I would be interested to know if anyone had any photos of the damaged trains, i have been unable to find any anywere !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hall rd.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	392.6 KB 
ID:	5510   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hall rd2.jpg 
Views:	511 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	5511   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hallrd3.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	378.4 KB 
ID:	5512  
    Last edited by merseywail; 03-11-2008 at 09:05 AM.

Regarding asbestos would assume you'd need more prolonged exposure than breathing 'some in'

Most who get health problems or die from asbestos realted disease are exposed over a few years rather than maybe a few seconds worth.

Thanks jon . I knew about the trains asbestos content for a few years. But having recently bought a copy of the accident report, and reading about the split inner panels, it set alarm bells ringing. I dont know much about asbestos exposure or its long term effects. I would have hated to think of the passengers suffering asbestos related health problems, and not knowing how they were exposed to it.

It's unlikely that one (even high) exposure to the fibres will cause a fatal illness in later life. As has been said, it's more prolonged/regular exposure that results in permanent health conditions. However, it should be noted that 'blue' is worst of the bunch, and the most dangerous.

Here is a pic of a collision damaged class 502. http://dmu-emu.photos.gb.net/p56711187.html I think this is one of the units involved in the october 1961 crash at Hall road. Must be unlucky place !
    These things take time, Rome wasn't built in a day you know.
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/merseywail/

it does seem to be a unlucky place as theres been a few accidnets there over the years.one happend not that long ago if im not getting mixed up as 2 units were mixed sets as the damaged carriages were away being repiared