Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool's Walk of Fame Pictures

Blog Entries

Default Liverpool's Walk of Fame Pictures

Liverpools Walk of Fame was created close to Otterspool promenade as part of the International Garden festival site in 1984. Twenty years later it is still there but in poor condition, with many of the blocks containing the names of local stars cracked and broken. This in my opinion adds character to the walk of fame outside The Britannia Pub. I dont know what is going to happen to it but I was keen to capture images of it in its present condition. You will find over 50 of Liverpools most famous sons and daughters.

Check 'em out in their current state;

Last edited by Kev; 04-04-2009 at 01:12 PM.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

A.D.Williams

They have been in a right state for years Kev and nothing seems to be done about it. Bloody shame really.

Suprising as it is, I've never seen or know where the walk is?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

A.D.Williams

Down by Otterspool Prom, Max.

Ain't been to otterspool for years.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

A.D.Williams

The place could do with a lick of paint.

Then get your brush Dave and start painting.

Or just take a picture of them and paint the pictures.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Wasn't there some talk of re-siting the Walk of Fame a while back? Maybe to the Pier Head or some other 'high visability', secure position.
    Ermine tastes much the same as sackcloth when there's nothing left to eat.

is it where pleasure island used to be? that wacky warehouse for grown ups, it was boss i loved it, i reckon if they opened another one, loads of kids would sit round on chairs watchin thier mums and dads have a day off for a change, i know i could do with it! LOL

Blog Entries

LIVERPOOL'S Walk of Fame looks certain to be placed around the city's new multi-million pound arena and conference centre at Kings Dock.

The Culture Company is in talks with Bob Prattey, chief executive of the Liverpool Kings Arena, about creating the Hollywood-style walk in one of the public areas at the dock.

The aim would be to set in stone the names of Liverpool artists, film and television stars from the days of Merseybeat to the present day.

The walk would form a centrepiece for the Capital of Culture celebrations in 2008.

A walk of fame was created on Otterspool Promenade as part of the International Garden Festival in 1984.

Much of that walk remains in place, but some of the stones containing the names of famous sons and daughters of Liverpool are damaged, and the area has been badly neglected. Radio personality Billy Butler, whose career in the music industry goes back to the days of Beatlemania and the Merseybeat era, has held talks with a number of city councillors about a fitting way of remembering famous people from the city.

He told officials that he wanted to find a way of commemorating and paying tribute to all of the excellent Liverpool musicians who played a role in the so-called Merseybeat era of the 1960s.

The city's new music development manager, Keith Blundell, wants the walk of fame to pay tribute to a broad spectrum across the arts, not just those linked to music.

The idea for a new Walk of Fame, similar to the world-famous walk in Hollywood Boulevard, Los Angeles, comes after concerns about the state of the Otterspool walk.

Labour culture spokesman Steve Rotherham first called for action to be taken. It led to Liverpool Riverside MP Louise Ellman calling for immediate action to repair the city's rundown Walk of Fame ahead of European Capital of Culture in 2008.

The mile-long walkway, bearing the names of Liverpool stars of stage and screen, was laid at Otterspool promenade at a cost of £50,000.

The Beatles, Cilla Black, DJ John Peel, Ken Dodd and Kenny Everett had their names immortalised in brass letters on the white granite flagstones.

Mrs Ellman said: "Liverpool is world-renowned as the birthplace of an important chapter in pop culture. Millions of people from Britain, Europe and across the globe come to see the sights."

The city council's Leisure and Culture Select Committee will be debating the proposed Walk of Fame on July 31.

larryneild@dailypost.co.uk
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Let's hope the people they decide to put in it will surprise people that they were born in Liverpool and not all be "our cilla" types.

maybe people should be nominated then maybe people voting for the nominations (my only concern would be that certain people would get the popularity vote and other people who should on the walk not being included), such as a number of people on the YoLiverpool Scouser Hall of Fame.

Who decides to include people, what for (hopefully not just showbiz) lots of concerns.

Cilla will make a return to Liverpool to get her picture in the Echo
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Default Hollywood Walk of Fame

Criteria for Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame

1. Professional achievement
    2. Longevity of five years in the field of entertainment
    3. Contributions to the community

The recipient must agree to attend the dedication ceremony.

In case of a fan nomination, a letter of agreement must be sent by celebrity management.

There is a five-year waiting period after death for nominations of deceased individuals. The Committee does not necessarily select posthumous honorees each year.

The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce makes every effort to schedule a dedication ceremony on the date requested by the honoree. A 60-day lead period is needed for required permits, the manufacturing of the star, and advance publicity.

Please be advised that if your nominee is selected and the induction does not take place within five years of the selection date, the nominee must be re-submitted during another voting period.

Source

Oh yes, before I forget...The sponsorship fee is $15,000. Which is subject to change.

Guess this idea could turn out to be a nice little earner for Liverpool City Council.
    Ermine tastes much the same as sackcloth when there's nothing left to eat.

Default walk of fame...

where is the walk of fame now and where is it going to be next time ,

i heard it was going to be relocated at the Albert Dock..??

Lemmo...

A.D.Williams

Lemmo it is near the Britannia Inn on the Marine Esplanade, Otterspool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast