Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Thread: Toxteth District

I've spent a couple of hours reading through this thread - great comments.

I love Liverpool 8, past and present. I spent my first 13 years of life around there, leaving in the early 70s to move to another part of the city.

Three years ago I came back to Liverpool 8 to work, and feel like I'm home again. I love the diversity of the community and different cultures. I've never called the area "Toxteth", it's always been Liverpool 8 to me.

There are some parts of Toxteth which are horrible - such as Granby, particularly as I remember it as being a vibrant and lively shoppng area as a child. I feel safe and confident in the area, I feel I'm a member of the community.

The area does continue to have problems - particularly around anti-social behaviour, but hey - which area in Liverpool doesn't get this type of behaviour.

The worst part of Liverpool 8, IMO, is the Lodge Lane area. It's so run down, and has an air of dispair, and I sincerely hope that something is done to renovate and help this section of the L8 community.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by burkhilly View Post
    The worst part of Liverpool 8, IMO, is the Lodge Lane area. It's so run down, and has an air of dispair, and I sincerely hope that something is done to renovate and help this section of the L8 community.
    Lodge Lane is like a war zone. The place is a bottom less pit for public money - billions over decades. The private sector will not touch the place. Doing this may change their minds....

The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    Lodge Lane is like a war zone. The place is a bottom less pit for public money - billions over decades. The private sector will not touch the place. Doing this may change their minds....

Billions of pounds have been invested in the area? Where? The mid section of Lodge Lane is awful - it does look like a war zone - whilst the bottom part (towards the park) looks really nice. I cannot see where any money has been spent, other than at the top end there's some quite new housing.

I don't really remember that much about Lodge Lane from childhood - just that it had lots of shops - my mother says quite nice shops.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by burkhilly View Post
    Billions of pounds have been invested in the area?
    I said billions "spent", not invested over the decades. The money is in the form of social security, failed social schemes, etc. They were just to keep the place alive.

The place needs private investment, then it will pull itself up and self sufficient. It needs "investment" in infrastructure to encourage people into the area.

I don't really remember that much about Lodge Lane from childhood - just that it had lots of shops - my mother says quite nice shops.
    It was a decent place.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Devonshire Road animal. This has been mentioned before. I think it's a Lion/Lioness, probably in some sort of heraldric pose. It has paws rather than hooves and has a swan-like tail with a tuft at the end. It looks similar to others I've seen around Liverpool.

A couple from The Brook House, Smithdown Road

I have been reading this thread also.. I see this post is very old.. but, I am very interested, if anyone can shine some light on this art piece. Lion/Horse/maybe swan.. If it has been found around .. what is the meaning? I love art and if any Art buffs or the historians on here.. Does anyone know?
    Great thread by the way.. and congrads to your flicker site PhilipG.. and all.. very nice viewing.. and to the other photographers on it..

I thought the Devonshire Rd animal was a lion rather than a horse because of the paws (rather than hooves) and that style of tail. The Lion get used a lot as an heraldric symbol. It's just a case of finding that particular style. It gets used by various Counties, Countries and the Church (Saint Mark for example).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion_Rampant

I thought the Devonshire Rd animal was a lion rather than a horse because of the paws (rather than hooves) and that style of tail. The Lion get used a lot as an heraldric symbol. It's just a case of finding that particular style. It gets used by various Counties, Countries and the Church (Saint Mark for example).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion_Rampant
    Thank you for this Marky.. Nice to know..

A couple from The Brook House, Smithdown Road

What do those random numbers signify on the sign? They look odd!

Dave.

Default Heraldry

I don?t know about the numbers but the Red Hand on the crest might suggest that the O' Neil clan drank in the Brook house

O'Neill Family

Semper Vigilans is a Masonic order

Masonic Lodge history of Semper Vigilans Freemasons Lodge in South Africa
    Last edited by Paddy; 12-14-2008 at 03:33 PM.
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

Brook House pub: I thought it might be a telephone number on the sign, but it isn't, according to Yell.com. or 192.com. It could be the date 2/11/2000?. This pub has been getting re-furbished, yet again, in the last few weeks.

I lived opposite the Brook House for all my life until February of this year our family running Luxton's Newsagents.

I have seen some changes to this pub over the years and can recall the Off Licence - think it was actually called "Off Sales" on the neon sign hanging in the window which used to be to the left of the east porch.

At the end the 60s the Bowling Green was removed and the car-park extended backwards when the Cavalier Restaurant was opened at the rear. In its early days this was quite nice and had a private bar for diners. My parents often took me in there. Around the same time the wall was built along the forecourt. Prior to this the front was open and cars could park there.

The "Off Sales" shop disappeared not long after a Co-Op off licence opened nearer the railway bridge this area was incorporated into what became the "Stable Bar" at the east end when this was extended into the old carraige stables / beer store. This part becoming the "Firkin" brewery at a later date.

However, the crest on the front of the building has always interesed me - where did it come from?

Was it on the original Brook House which was nearer Lidderdale Road?

Did it represent a prominent local family?

In the late 60s the Brook House sign showed a picture of a house (inn?) standing near a brook - presumably the original building which stood by the Lower Brook?

Just to the east of Brook House between there and the railway Bridge stood Penketh Hall - demolished around the time of WWI when the terraced houses and shops were built on the north side of Smithdown Road at this point.

Did the crest have any connection with this place?

As for the mystery number on the new sign - could 02/11/2000 be the date that the Finch and Firkin brand was changed to the M&B "Scream" brand and the building acquired its current unattarctive yellow paint work?

John

Default DD

I know the shop youre talking about. I see a big Tesco place has sprung up. I can remember all those shops that is the magic of the area the continuity. I think the sign denotes a masonic order. Talking about ale it was double diamond the favoutrite pint of the sixties in there. I was to young to drink it I only remember the smell.The closing of the bus garage and other factors seems to have caused a decline yet it always survives. I think the student population have played a part in that.
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    I see a big Tesco place has sprung up. I can remember all those shops that is the magic of the area the continuity. I think the sign denotes a masonic order. Talking about ale it was double diamond the favoutrite pint of the sixties in there. I was to young to drink it I only remember the smell.The closing of the bus garage and other factors seems to have caused a decline yet it always survives. I think the student population have played a part in that.
    The Tesco's has been there about four years now. It isn't that big - though looks as though it occupies the whole corner. Infact since Choices Video store closed down in August 2007 apart from Tesco's on the corner the only other occupied unit in that block is Carphone Warehouse. Two units have remained unlet since it was completed.

This is somewhat strange as a number of shops have changed hands during the same period. Our old shop Luxton's Newsagents was sold to a local builder who has a number of student properties. He rearranged the accomodation into student lets, turned the shops into "lock ups" and had people in the shops in no time. One must presume the owners of the Tesco block - who I think is Henry Boot Properties - are seeking rather higher rents than those prevailing in the area.

The population of the area is certainly boosted by students durin the holidays there is much space in the side roads with all the student cars gone. Different story during term times.

John

Quote Originally Posted by irishseashipping.com View Post

The population of the area is certainly boosted by students durin the holidays there is much space in the side roads with all the student cars gone. Different story during term times.

John
    Students with cars Wow times have certainly changed. I only knew 1 guy who had a car in my days. I thought times were supposed to be financially harder for students than they were?

What need does a student have for a car in Liverpool. (Apart from weekly trips to buy the pot noodle supplies )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GingerTheCat View Post
    What need does a student have for a car in Liverpool. (Apart from weekly trips to buy the pot noodle supplies )
    They are supplied by mummy and daddy for the trips back home town/village.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast