Thread: Please help; West Derby Childrens home in or near Melwood Drive during 20s and 30s

Partsky

Default Please help; West Derby Childrens home in or near Melwood Drive during 20s and 30s

I have posted on other threads and and amfollowing up but presume some folks local to Knotty Ash and West Derby may read this so here goes.

My Mum was in an orphanage or childrens home somewhere between Knotty Ash and West Derby in the 20s and 30s. It may have been called Melwood House as we did hear my Mother say she was in "Melwood" I know there is a Carmelite convent in Melwood Drive but this is a closed order so I dont think they taught her. My Sister remember many years ago being told by my Mother that the home had been demolished and it was now a Rugby or Football field. I am trying to contact the Melwood Convent and the School next door but does anyone have any photos or info. She may have had other relatives but she was scarred by her experience and we, her Daughters, would like to trace anyone on her side of the family. Its too late for my Mother as she has passed away, and I am sure most of the people there may be dead but we did make her a promise to try. Can anyone help please.

Melwood training fields have been there for a long time. I know that St Francis Xavier's college used to own them before selling them to Liverpool FC I can't remember the date exactly. I don't know if an orphanage was ever on that site. If you contact St Paul's presbetry they may be able to help you. Or even if you go through the archdiocese if it was chatholic run, there should be some info on it. St Pauls is the junior and infants school that backs onto Melwood training ground. I used to go to this school but i can't remember anything from before the field except an extension to the infant school in the early 90's

There is a rugby field further down the road from Melwood off layfield road, but this is a bit far off to be considered Melwood, but this was an anti-aircraft position during WW2. If she ever mentioned that.

SFX's number is 0151 288 1000
    St Pauls Presbetry is 0151 228 3405

Hope my rambling helps

Here is an extract from a book called "The People Of West Derby" by John Cooper and David Power, it details photos and peoples memories of West Derby.
    Maud Hardy, wrote in 1986 some memories in a letter ...
    "I remember the orphanage, opposite the village hall which was kept up by voluntary subscriptions. They had approx 20 children in there, all girls from sea-faring families. A Miss Sheridan took the to school all walking behind her in two's. It made quite a spectacle because she walked like a sergeant-major ! Many of the girls went into service for the well to do families and usually ended up marrying the butcher or the gardener etc. The girls were scared stiff of Miss Dutton ( Headmistress ) at school.

Hope this helps. There are pictures of Classes from the school etc, what year was your mum born ? or you can email / PM me info and I'll check the book.

I have a scan of a map from the book, showing the location of the orphanage but it won't let me upload it, 61meg in size ! !

Is there any chance the home you are thinking of was West Derby Orphanage for girls . ? this was the orphanage opposite the village hall.
    This was at 2 Town Row & the matron was Miss Sherring . ?

good luck
    Karen
    Last edited by gorgeous; 04-21-2008 at 12:32 AM.

Default Deysbrook House

This could possibly be the one you're looking for:

Deysbrook House, on Deysbrook Lane in West Derby, was a convalescent home for children.

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhou...p1927-2500.gif

Deysbrook House site, 1927
    Never put anyone on a pedestal... THEY'LL LOOK DOWN ON YOU!

Part of a map showing West Derby Orphanage, just off centre to the right, is this the one you mean Partsky ?

Partsky

Thank you so very much to all the people who replied to my posts. I have not ignored them but have been unwell. Recovering from Cancer but doing well. The one about the orphanage taking children from sea faring families sounds familiar. My Mums Dad was a Sailor. I am sure it is not the Town Row One and am pretty certain it was the one indicated as being opposite the Town Hall. My eldest Sister is certain of it. Thanks so very much from all our family. The maps are wonderful too. You are so good

All the very best in your recovery Partsky.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Partsky.

This might be a long shot, but there was a seamans orphanage in Newsham Park, just off West Derby Road, which had both girls and boys boarded.
    If you contact the Maritime Museum they have the addmissions book with the names and dates of the childs entry along with any family names and the reasons for addmission.