Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fulwood Park, Aigburth

Blog Entries

Exclamation Fulwood Park, Aigburth

I've been dying to have a gander down here for a while, small when you compare it to the Grassendale Park area but very impressive:

Here's a few of the houses, gives you an idea of the prosperity of the private park from days gone by:

I assume this runs towards the prom area:

Any history on the area would be appreciated
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Fulwood Park, Toxteth Park

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I've been dying to have a gander down here for a while, small when you compare it to the Grassendale Park area but very impressive:

Any history on the area would be appreciated

Nice photos. Historically of course this area is not in Aigburth but rather Toxteth Park. For location on Toxeth.net web site see:

http://toxteth.net/maps/liverpool/lpool8g.htm

Fulwood Park is in the Parish of St Michael in the Hamlet, Toxteth Park, the southern boundary of which run through Otterspool Park along what was the old stream coming out of Sefton park and which divided the townships of Toxteth Park and Garston. Aigburth being a district within the township of Garston, not Toxteth Park.

You'll recall the fuss in the press when the council put up an Aigburth district sign marking the start of Aigburth near Jericho lane. Local political pressure caused the sign to be removed !!! We live in L17 they said along Riverside Drive, we must live in Aigburth !!

The history of Fulwood Park is well covered in Robert Griffiths' "The History of the Royal and Ancient Park of Toxteth, Liverpool" recently re published by the Liverpool Record office. The freehold land was purchased in 1808 by a William Bunnell from Lord Sefton who owned Toxteth Park. In 1840, William Bunnell's executors laid out the land that was to become Fulwood Park as building plots with the proviso that any houses constructed should not cost less than £1500 and must not be higher than 2 storeys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G41  Aigburth sign Riverside Drive April 2006 108.jpg 
Views:	547 
Size:	192.0 KB 
ID:	5237   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	St Michael & Christchurch Parish Boundary Toxteth Park.jpg 
Views:	682 
Size:	872.7 KB 
ID:	5238  
    Last edited by taffy; 02-16-2008 at 02:12 PM.

PhilipG

Yes, it's in Toxteth Park, but it also includes part of Aigburth.
    Fulwood Park was built in the 1840s on the site of the fields belonging to the White House Farm.
    The site of the White House is now occupied by the Three Sixes.

I know someone who has a house in Fulwood Park (no names, no numbers), and he always refers to his Listed House.
    He wasn't very pleased with me when I found out it's been de-Listed, because of all the alterations he's done to it!
    Last edited by PhilipG; 02-16-2008 at 07:22 PM.

[QUOTE=PhilipG;112647]Yes, it's in Toxteth Park, but it also includes part of Aigburth.
    QUOTE]

As far as I can tell Fulwood Park is entirely within Toxteth Park but is admittedly on the Aigburth boundary, see St Michael in the Hamlet Parish map boundary in my earlier post

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    He wasn't very pleased with me when I found out it's been de-Listed, because of all the alterations he's done to it!

After watching wall to wall property programmes over the years and knowing someone who bought, renovated and extended a listed building, I was under the impression that you had to adhere to strict building regulations or they would not be passed and any alterations had to be in keeping or torn down.

The listing isn't for the benefit of the house-owner and is sometimes of course a nuisence, but this shouldn't give anyone the right to alter things unsympathetically.
    Last edited by Ged; 02-16-2008 at 02:55 PM.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

DaisyChains

It is a magical almost untouched area.

I love this hidden gem.

I dream of buying a house down there!

Default Fulwood Park, Toxteth in 1870

Thank you for posting these photos! I have a huge mystery in my family that revolves around one of the houses in Fulwood Park back in the 1870s. I think it's either 54 or 34--I can't read the writing in the 1871 census that well to see whether it's a 5 or a 3.

Anyway, my great grandmother and great great aunt worked as nursemaids in that house for a family called Wrigley. The Wrigleys were well-to-do, had several house servants and a coachman and a gardener.... My great grandmother married my great grandfather (who might have been the the Wrigleys' gardener) in 1871 in St. Michaels Toxteth in 1870; they moved to Oswaldtwistle shortly thereafter. My great great aunt stayed on with the Wrigleys--she died in 1873, just a few years later, of pleurisy pneumonia in a Nurses Home in Dover Street, Liverpool.

I've pieced all of this information together from ancestry.com because I had no family history passed down to me. I wondered if any of you are aware of any history of that area that's been written? My great grandmother and her sister were from Switzerland and I am really curious how they ended up working for a family in Liverpool.

I know it's a long shot posting on here but thought I'd try anyway as I've just about exhausted all the genealogical lists.

Valerie

I hadn't heard of Fulwood park until last year! Even though I know Aigburth well.
    It is a stunning , hidden gem of Liverpool and I would like to live there.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelCake View Post
    I hadn't heard of Fulwood park until last year! Even though I know Aigburth well.
    It is a stunning , hidden gem of Liverpool and I would like to live there.
    So your loaded then!!!!!

Well she's got the err Mona Lisa?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Well, I hope it's not a self portrait!

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    So your loaded then!!!!!
    No , if I was loaded I would live there. Or somewhere else!

PhilipG

There's a set of photos of Fulwood Park on my Flickr page, and I'm working on a brief history.
    Mainly about who lived where, and when.
    Quite a few famous names lived there including Leslie Blond, who had a number of cinemas, and gave the Everyman its name.

Default Fulwood House, Aigburth Road, Toxteth Park

Hello,
    Does anyone know where Fulwood House is on Aigburth Road. On the 1891 census it was a convalescent home for children.
    Thanks,
    Linda

Default Fulwood House or Lodge

Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Hello,
    Does anyone know where Fulwood House is on Aigburth Road. On the 1891 census it was a convalescent home for children.
    Thanks,
    Linda
    This might be what was originally called Fulwood Lodge which is on Aigburth Rd. See map

http://www.leverpoole.co.uk/1.001/m/...t-michael.shtm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast