Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Burbo Bank - the Brick Beach

This is the real Burbo Bank,a sandbank in the channel between Crosby and New Brighton,where liverpool fishermen cleaned there keels of their boats, these have been posted before of our kid and I cleaning ours in 1960
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Quote Originally Posted by Doris Mousdale View Post
    Great link and the "Collateral' link /exhibition/ photos are well worth looking at. Very atmospheric and personal
    I agree wonderful photography, however I dont see evidence of rubble from Bootle,. Burbo Bank was also known as the 'Erosion' as this part of Blundellsands seafront eroded away with the fierce tides washing away a row of large palatial houses. I have walked this area many times over the years and have never discovered evidence of anything but items of masonary, gate posts ,befitting yo these large houses

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blundellsand erosion2.jpg 
Views:	997 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	24296

There is masonry from Hall road onwards with large chunks of sandstone from old churches used as sea defences.
    On the sand bank pottery from Liverpool`s old pottery works can still be found
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Quote Originally Posted by johnny blue View Post
    I agree wonderful photography, however I dont see evidence of rubble from Bootle,. Burbo Bank was also known as the 'Erosion' as this part of Blundellsands seafront eroded away with the fierce tides washing away a row of large palatial houses. I have walked this area many times over the years and have never discovered evidence of anything but items of masonary, gate posts ,befitting yo these large houses

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blundellsand erosion2.jpg 
Views:	997 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	24296
    As you walk from Waterloo to Blundellsands, near to the prom',there is a large amount of compressed building rubble which has large pieces of sandstone steps,archways,etc in it. I've always assumed that these were the remains of those houses,but maybe not?

Thanks for the kind comments about the exhibition (which is still up in the Watson building windows, Lewis's because I can't get access at the moment)

The rubble is a mixture of different things including, nearer Hall road, the workings on the last second Mersey Tunnel.

I went back to the Borough Engineer's reports from Sefton council for my sources and bomb damage rubble was dumped along that stretch, Because it's all together I can't guarantee that everything photographed was from Bootle but it's in there somewhere.

Regards,

Tom Fairclough

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    The rubble is a mixture of different things including, nearer Hall road, the workings on the last second Mersey Tunnel.
    Tom, do you mean that the rubble is the remains of buildings demolished to make way for the new tunnel entranceways or that it is earth from the tunneling itself?

I think it is buildings, the stretch nearest the car park contains a lot more concrete which suggests more modern buildings than the rest of the beach. You can sort of tell that the first 50 yards or so comes from a more modern period (this is backed up by Sefton Council Engineering Dept. Papers) but I couldn't say exactly what is used. I'm not sure there is any tunnelling material though, this would probably be useless for such a task.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seaforth dock wall.jpg 
Views:	611 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	24300Seaforth Dock coastal wall which stretches round to the left from Waterloo to Seaforth. These huge gigantic rocks are from under the river when building the second Mersey Tunnel. The rubble to build Otterspool promenade came from the building of the first Mersey Tunnel.

Nice one Ian, I wonder if we know each other ? I lived at the very end of Warrenhouse Rd which almost adjoined Mariners Rd prior to the construction of the new baths in 1963 and played all along that strech of coast from 1960 on wards. Do you remember the old coast guards cottages and the adjloining boat house where the guy who cleared the sandhills from thew backs of houses with a WW11 bulldozer lived ?
    I spent a wonderful childhood here and also partook of refeshment from the fountain but hadn't heard about the "cockle molies." Our next door neighbour was a woman in her 90's who had lived there for many years and she told me about an old man who had lived in a driftwood shack along the shore for most of his life by beachcombing. I remember having a conversation some years ago with a guy who was writing a book drawn from his own childhood memories from this area of beach during the 1940's which incorporated an old beachcomber like the Fulton Mackay charecter from Local Hero. He was quite ill at the time and so was I, so I lost contact, must see if I can find his details and follow upto find out the basis for the story.
    Cheers Ian for an most informative post.
    Angus

Quote Originally Posted by angus View Post
    Nice one Ian, I wonder if we know each other ? I lived at the very end of Warrenhouse Rd...
    Don't remember your name, Angus, but I must have known you. I lived in Leopold Road, 2 streets south of Warrenhouse. Each street had its own gang - they were like foreign countries, usually at war!

We moved to one of the new semi-detacheds that were built where the coastguard cottages used to be at the bottom of Mariners Road. I remember Mr Scott's grey digger, too. My mum was friends with his wife.

Like you say, it was a great place to grow up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123