Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Webster Rd

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post

In the black and white piccie the tower on the Spofforth pub can be seen. Behind it is the Microwave tower of the Gas Board offices. I worked there at that time. Many an afternoon had been spent in the Spofforth.

The houses were glazed yellow brick. most are still around today. The Gas Board offices are no more. Still there but unused.
    hi Waterways,
    When did you work in the Gas Board Office? as my brother and his ex wife worked there, my brother did his apprentiship there when he left school,(he is 50 now) and his ex wife worked in the offices. My brother`s name is Alan Wynn and his wife was Pam Taggart, he worked there for years until they closed it down and he took redundancy.

Carole

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by carole1000 View Post
    hi Waterways,
    When did you work in the Gas Board Office? as my brother and his ex wife worked there, my brother did his apprentiship there when he left school,(he is 50 now) and his ex wife worked in the offices. My brother`s name is Alan Wynn and his wife was Pam Taggart, he worked there for years until they closed it down and he took redundancy.

Carole
    I was there in the 1970s. The name is not familiar, however I have forgot so many names.

When was it closed down? They must still run the Gas Service operation. Where is that done now?
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

I used to cut through the back entry in Annerley Street after dinner to go back to Webster Rd School.
    The dairy was Thwaites and we would watch the cows being brought in to the buildings, this was 1959/63.
    Nearly always late back to school after watching this little event.
    Any pics of the school would be nice.

I was there in the 1970s. The name is not familiar, however I have forgot so many names.

When was it closed down? They must still run the Gas Service operation. Where is that done now?
    Yes He will have been there in the 1970s although only as a young 17 yr old doing his apprentiship probably around 1975 onwards until he took redundancy in the mid 90s, he went to a different company but I think they were all offered jobs in the new base in Manchester, dont know whether it is still in Manchester today or not. His exwife Pam worked in the offices around the same time but left to have there son in about 1980!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by carole1000 View Post
    Yes He will have been there in the 1970s although only as a young 17 yr old doing his apprentiship probably around 1975 onwards until he took redundancy in the mid 90s, he went to a different company but I think they were all offered jobs in the new base in Manchester, dont know whether it is still in Manchester today or not. His exwife Pam worked in the offices around the same time but left to have there son in about 1980!
    The gas service went to Manchester? In Manchester to service Liverpool? Thats sounds dumb! I left in 1977. A very young man - delighted to leave and lived in the Middle East. I never looked back.

how it once was?

The gas service went to Manchester? In Manchester to service Liverpool? Thats sounds dumb! I left in 1977. A very young man - delighted to leave and lived in the Middle East. I never looked back.
    No by that time my brother was in the commercial sales department whose offices moved to Manchester, although not sure why, as you say servicing Liverpool!!, but think the gas fitters went to Bootle, but cannot be sure. My brother is still in commercial sales but for another company. I think he was glad he left as he has done really well since.

would anyone happen to have a picture of or know anything about Thwaites Dairy. apparently they where relatives of my Dad so i'd be grateful for any info

Quote Originally Posted by robbo176 View Post
    Here's a few pictures of Webster Rd

source-LRO
    I was brought up in this area - on Spofforth Road which is the top end of the first photo. I actually remember the Gas Board tower being built in the (I think) late 1960s. During the space race of that era, all the kids thought we were getting our very own space rocket.

It looks like the first photo was taken outside the greengrocers that was on the corner of Webster Road and Earle Road. Many a memory of lugging 10 pounds of spuds all the way up the road. Just as heavy as my paper bag. I was a paperboy for Parkers just around the corner from where the photo was taken. My round was Webster Road and all the streets off it, Spofforth Road, Cadogan Street around to Alfred Street and all the streets off it. It kept me fit I suppose, something that stayed with me to the present day. I went to Webster Road School from 1965 and then to Earle Road. I visited about 10 years ago but both schools had been demolished.

The photo of Kirkwood’s shop on the corner of Spekeland Road and Webster Road brought back some memories - I even remember the MG sitting outside (I think it was fashionably (for then) orange). Each Thursday that’s where my 2-bob pocket money was spent. Again, I think the photo was taken in the late 1960’s. In about 1972, the then owner - Mr Pope, installed a Polo Mint dispenser outside the shop on the wall between his shop and the house next door. The cost was 5 new pence (this was just after decimalisation) but he kids in the area (me included) discovered that you could use old happenings and still get a packet of polos. It didn’t stay there very long. The adverts on the side wall of the shop are for the ABC and the Scala cinemas - both of which were on Lime Street. I always looked forward to seeing the new posters go up, even if I was far too young to go and actually see the films.

I also note that the roads were still cobbled in the pictures. The day they laid tarmac over the cobbles was a day to remember. We all built go-carts (from old prams and planks of wood with steering by means of a bit of string) that went down Spofforth Road from the top of the hill like the clappers, it really wasn‘t the same being rattled to bits on the cobbles.. If you wanted to go even faster, it was bikes down the newly laid tarmac on Spekeland Road (but it was a bit of a hike to the top) .

A lot of locals worked at the Gas Board works and we were never allowed to play football in the street when they let out - far too many cars, my youngest brother actually got knocked down one night - not too much damage though, just a HUGE bump on his head. The car park opposite the works was only put there in the early 70’s, I remember it as being full of prefabs - some of mum’s friends lived there - and they were posh - they had a fridge!! Actually, when the prefabs were knocked down, we got their fridge!

Thanks for posting the photos (I know it was a while ago, but I’ve only just found the site). They brought back some great memories of growing up there from the early 1960s until we moved in 1977.

The slum clearance era in that was an adventure all in itself. I might get something together, but I think this post is long enough already.

Blog Entries

thanks for your memories,I enjoyed reading them...I only have a few from when I lived there as we moved when I was about 5
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Disorderly View Post
    A lot of locals worked at the Gas Board works and we were never allowed to play football in the street when they let out - far too many cars, my youngest brother actually got knocked down one night - not too much damage though, just a HUGE bump on his head. The car park opposite the works was only put there in the early 70’s, I remember it as being full of prefabs - some of mum’s friends lived there - and they were posh - they had a fridge!! Actually, when the prefabs were knocked down, we got their fridge!
    Yes the MGB coupe was orange. The microwave tower was erected in a day in 1968. The car park was made around 1967. Later they blocked off the Spofforth Rd entrance to the gas depot (it was not a works anymore) and the vehicles entered via Alfred St and Picton Rd.

The gas depot had sealed up tunnels in the Picton Rd wall that once allowed trains to enter from the Edge Hill sidings with coal to make the gas.

The tower was to control gas valves to allow gas into certain areas and and maintain supply and pressure. All by microwave.

how it once was?

The gas depot had sealed up tunnels in the Picton Rd wall that once allowed trains to enter from the Edge Hill sidings with coal to make the gas.

Looks like you are absolutely spot on - I found a map from 1890 which shows just that:

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/map...10&x=413&y=199

Default DE JA VOUS

Talk about de ja vous, it was like reading part of my life.

I had forgot that Mr Parker had taken the shop over from Les Bisson.

I finished in 1965 after doing the round Bannerman St/Murdoch St/Bridge Rd/Spofforth Rd/ Cardigan Street/Cadogan St/Chesterfield St/ Carlyle St/Cambridge St for 5 years.

Lived in Spofforth Road 'til 1970 when I got married.

Kirkwood's shop, opposite Bakers fruit &Veg, was remodelled into a very mini supermarket, after he bought it off a Mr Parks.

Mr Kirkwood had a TWO TONE GREEN MORRIS ISIS (or OXFORD Pre-Farina) and I used to get half-a-crown 2/6 to wash it every Saturday.

Needless to say, one Saturday a young baby decided to deposit the full contents of its nappy all down one side, worth it though, I got 5/-.

Mr Jinks a blind man had the next corner shop going up Spekeland Road the Mr Mac's

Hit every lamp-post coming down Spovvie, at one time or another road testing stearies.

My brother worked in Thwaites Dairy, after school and during holidays, for many years, God did he stink!!!

His mate Dezzie died in the dentists chair, Masons; Cnr of Salisbury Road/Lawrence Road, nobody knew he was a haemophiliac and he bled to death.

The best money making juape was when a few of us used to climb over the massive walls/gates of the CO-OP workshops in Spekland Road.

The horse drawn milk floats (the only 2 storey stables in the country where situated in Spofforth Road prior to Brook Hire and the present blocks of flats.) used to be parked up behind these walls/gates and as luck would have it, money would fall out of the milkmans money pouch and slipped behind the seat, ready for us to sweep it up!!

The Co-op owned a massive piece of land from Spofforth Road through to the railway cutting @ Copenhagen Street and had their own farrier and Glassblower on site.

You're guite right about the prefab residents being posh; Hot running water/bathroom/ indoor toilet, fridge and even a garden.

I worked with a couple of lads through my career who lived in them, in Spovvie and Murdoch Street.

As I grew up during the early days of TV ownership it was easy to become one of the original ANORAKS, A trainspotter!!

Not a moan but, kids these days haven't a clue what povert really is, although I wouldn't swap my childhood for a big clock.

Regularly off to Sefton Park via Hartington Road 25 -0 but always the next goal was the winner, finishing in complete darkness.

Behind the Cameo was Dan Duery's Rag & Bone yard in the mid-50's you could get enough money off 1lb + 2lb jam jars to get into a matinee

Great Days, Great Friends

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Disorderly View Post
    I was brought up in this area - on Spofforth Road which is the top end of the first photo. I actually remember the Gas Board tower being built in the (I think) late 1960s. During the space race of that era, all the kids thought we were getting our very own space rocket.

It looks like the first photo was taken outside the greengrocers that was on the corner of Webster Road and Earle Road. Many a memory of lugging 10 pounds of spuds all the way up the road. Just as heavy as my paper bag. I was a paperboy for Parkers just around the corner from where the photo was taken. My round was Webster Road and all the streets off it, Spofforth Road, Cadogan Street around to Alfred Street and all the streets off it. It kept me fit I suppose, something that stayed with me to the present day. I went to Webster Road School from 1965 and then to Earle Road. I visited about 10 years ago but both schools had been demolished.

The photo of Kirkwood’s shop on the corner of Spekeland Road and Webster Road brought back some memories - I even remember the MG sitting outside (I think it was fashionably (for then) orange). Each Thursday that’s where my 2-bob pocket money was spent. Again, I think the photo was taken in the late 1960’s. In about 1972, the then owner - Mr Pope, installed a Polo Mint dispenser outside the shop on the wall between his shop and the house next door. The cost was 5 new pence (this was just after decimalisation) but he kids in the area (me included) discovered that you could use old happenings and still get a packet of polos. It didn’t stay there very long. The adverts on the side wall of the shop are for the ABC and the Scala cinemas - both of which were on Lime Street. I always looked forward to seeing the new posters go up, even if I was far too young to go and actually see the films.

I also note that the roads were still cobbled in the pictures. The day they laid tarmac over the cobbles was a day to remember. We all built go-carts (from old prams and planks of wood with steering by means of a bit of string) that went down Spofforth Road from the top of the hill like the clappers, it really wasn‘t the same being rattled to bits on the cobbles.. If you wanted to go even faster, it was bikes down the newly laid tarmac on Spekeland Road (but it was a bit of a hike to the top) .

Thanks for posting the photos (I know it was a while ago, but I’ve only just found the site). They brought back some great memories of growing up there from the early 1960s until we moved in 1977.

The slum clearance era in that was an adventure all in itself. I might get something together, but I think this post is long enough already.

Blog Entries

great memories Big ears & welcome to Yo
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Ha,ha,original anorak....welcome to Yo, Big ears!

Hi Big ears

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast