Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Webster Rd

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me if the houses on spofforth road end of Webster Road are getting knocked down? I thought I saw them all boarded up yesterday. I'm talking about the rows directly opposite the nhs centre near Earle Road.
    Thanks

i was born/lived there in Galloway street with Mum Linda Dad Tony and bros an sis Jason and Collette from 1970 to about 1974/5 when we moved, have vague memories of playing on the wasteground from slum clearance and bettys chippy where she used to give sweets to the kids on errands, also the donaldson family who later moved to runcorn and jean lamb, bro an sis were at webster road school tho i was too young to attend, also remember ending up in police station (lawrence road?) at age 3 or 4 where i was given a wagon wheel, must have got lost/wandered off? Dad Tony was into motorbikes an there were bits of classic bikes all around the house, we then spent time in a childrens home when i was 3 or 4 before we eventually moved to smithdown lane about 74/75? the small terrace in Galloway street was always spooky for some reason, surreal memories

My gran used to live in Cadogan St used to play on "piggy muck square" an the old Chloris bleach works

All the streets have been demolished up to just before Garrick Street, where most of the houses are now boarded up. I was speaking to someone today who told me the houses will all be emptied and knocked down by November, they moved out of Garrick Street on Monday.

It sounds like there is hardly anything left of my old paper round. It was from the shop (Pope's - next to the chippy). Up Webster Road and all the streets off it including Galloway Street, Spofforth Road, Bannerman Street, Cadogan Street and all the streets around to Alfred Street and the streets off that too!! Sunday was hard going.

Is the intention just too landscape the area...i.e. add a bit of grass and some low wooden fencing, and wait for the economy to improve.....if so it looks like a fairly long wait until the area will be developed.

collegepudding

Used to live in 48 webster

About 64/65 a coal wagon came through the front of house,
    Remember some pictures from the daily post showing Dads chairs that was in bay pushed to center of room and MY pedal car crushed under masonry.

The dairy was the last horse drawn milk round in Liverpool and owner getting interviewed for TV…being part of a bunch of kids being shown around and trying to put the foil lids on the milk bottles by hand. Being amazed at now got the horses to back up the float to yard. Trying to milk cow by hand

When young and hearing weather reports “ snow on hills” was upset when spotthy wasent covered the next day. Using steerys to play motor car drag racing down hill

Dad finding a moped on bomb site and turning it into a bike for us  7 years old and trying to pedal a bike weighing 50lbs (no engine gearbox or fuel tank) up the hill to fly down on it.

Being told that the headmistress of Webster road school was the wife of the LFC trainer (bob paisley) don’t know if true but good story.
    Using the school gates as our GOAL (it had 2 big concrete pillars)

Being amused when told how the “deadhouse pub” got its name

Ripping finger apart on the slide in the playground. Pushing baby sister to hard on the adult swings (sorry).

Moved in 60/61 @ 1yo moved out 73/74.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123