Like so many I do not live in your beautiful city but I have roots there and you can never forget your roots. I was blessed to have a grandfather who hailed from Liverpool and moved to Ireland with his skill as a basket weaver was greatly sought. He had learnt this traditional craft in Liverpool as way back then hazel baskets and trays of all sizes were needed in the docks etc.

He came to Derry in the north of Ireland as it was a busy wee port and they had the demand for his skill. I remember as a child being taken walks out along the river by my Dad and shown the hazel cops that his father tended to gather in the rods he needed for his work.

Like his other six brothers come the Great War they all enlisted in the Cheshire Regiment and went to France to fight. But that's a different story.

How many of you know of the sons and daughters of Liverpool that have travelled far and wide throughout the world taking their skills and their Liverpool wit with them. The Liverpudlians who went to live abroad never forgot their roots and instilled a pride in their city that has lasted generations.