Thread: Dino's Wood Street

Default Dino's Wood Street

24-01-08.
    Hi Jimmin, I remember Dino's it was opposite the Swan pub, more or less. I am going back now to 1963/1964. I am 58 yrs old now.Behind the metal doors, you went down the stairs, at the bottom on your left was a counter, on your right was the Jukebox, the music I recall was "Twinkle" singing "Terry", "The rolling Stones" with All over now, and You Better Move on.There were two girls who always sat on the stairs one used to call her self Norton, used very heavy black eye make up, out in the street it looked like T T week in the Isle of Man
    there were so many bikes, it was fantastic.Doe's any one remember an Aurthur Scarisbrick or scazzer, he had a bad accident with a corpy bus, a back end loader whilst on his way to work one morning, he survived, how about Chinese Dave' he worked for Llewllyns in St John's Lane, so a bike was always available to him,he always arrived at Dino's with a lovely Chinese girl wearing a Susi Wong dress on the back.or there was Billy Drysdale I think?, or billy two mirrors, he had a black Thunder Bird 500cc, and my fella had an ex police speed twin600cc I think, maroon in colour he said it went like **** off a shovel, and billy two mirrors said the same about his Thunder Bird but his was faster, I could go on about the bet they made one night, on a race from liverpool to New Brighton, through town, through the Tunnel, theres no over taking in the Tunnel is there, wish some one had reminded them on the night.

Trust and you will be trusted, said the Liar to the Fool.

Very descriptive Joan, I can almost smell the oil! Would love to know more about this place - any photo's?

Default Dino'sWood Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhemp View Post
    Very descriptive Joan, I can almost smell the oil! Would love to know more about this place - any photo's?
    Hi Motorhemp, I don't have one single pic from those days it never entered my mind, sorry now though.I missed the night Granada reports were there, and that still pisses me off .
    Last edited by scousejoan; 01-25-2008 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Adding

Default I dont think we were ever in there...

Tho. yeah I know of it, there was the beginnings of small but hard drug culture there. We were never into that cra p so stayed away. Could find enough trouble without that. One we did frequent was the all night doffee shop, at the bus terminous at thr Vicki monument. sorry, no pics, but some varied ones at scousebadlads.

Good to see you Bobbymac, how are you doing?
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Ta for the welcome ST. [I]'m in hossy right now but will survive this too. Hi, to the rest of youz

Nice to hear from you, sorry to hear you're in hossy Bobby, get well soon best wishes to you

ta m8, have to or the future missus'll beat me to death. .

whooo hoo glad to see you back in here Bobbymac

Sorry you are in hozzy, hope you are feeling better soon.

Default Dinos wood street.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbymac View Post
    Tho. yeah I know of it, there was the beginnings of small but hard drug culture there. We were never into that cra p so stayed away. Could find enough trouble without that. One we did frequent was the all night doffee shop, at the bus terminous at thr Vicki monument. sorry, no pics, but some varied ones at scousebadlads.
    Hiya Bobbymac, I don't know about
    the drugs, like you and many, many more, fellas and girls, we never went down that road,nor did we drink, we liked biking far too much. I don't know for sure how long dinos was open , the next place I recall going to was up by the university, bedford street, again it was a cellar. doe's any body recall a girl group (trio) called the liver birds, the lead singer was Joan griff/ Griss/or Grist, and lived in Great Mersey street off stanley road kirkdale, she was the first girl to get her own bike it was a blue honda with a funny humpy looking tank, the crash helmet law had come in then, and she use to wear a black duffle coat with the hood
    pulled up over her crash hat, she looked like a monk riding along crown street, very comical we thought. Get well soon bobby.
    Last edited by scousejoan; 02-06-2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: adding

Quote Originally Posted by scousejoan View Post
    Hiya Bobbymac, I don't know about
    the drugs, like you and many, many more, fellas and girls, we never went down that road,nor did we drink, we liked biking far too much. I don't know for sure how long dinos was open , the next place I recall going to was up by the university, bedford street, again it was a cellar. doe's any body recall a girl group (trio) called the liver birds, the lead singer was Joan griff/ Griss/or Grist, and lived in Great Mersey street off stanley road kirkdale, she was the first girl to get her own bike it was a blue honda with a funny humpy looking tank, the crash helmet law had come in then, and she use to wear a black duffle coat with the hood
    pulled up over her crash hat, she looked like a monk riding along crown street, very comical we thought. Get well soon bobby.

Here you go Joan:

http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip...liverbirds.htm

Default The Liverbirds.

18-02-08.

H_Asbo, Thanks a million for that pic, I said Joan was the lead singer, but she was the drummer, and I think that's her in the front in the shirt and keks. I recall speaking to her at a social club in Bootle, but there was only three of them that night,, I only knew her as Joan? well I called her Joan and she use to answer. Wonder if her band was called something else that night??,it's so long ago now.
    Last edited by scousejoan; 02-18-2008 at 03:24 PM.

Default Dino Original Member

Dinos was something special for my wife and I, it was where we met. Before Dinos I hung around the Griddle in Berry Street and heard about this new coffee bar and the owner, Tom. The chinese girl that you mentioned on the back of Daves bike, i am pleased to say has been my wife for the past 42 years. Her name is Suzette. Joan, you say that your fella had an ex police bike. Was he Robbie. I remember Robbie getting an ex police bike and crashing on the Welsh Road when we had a mad day out. Everybody wanted to race!! Nice to hear a blast from the past.

Default Dino's Wood Street 60's.

Whoa!!!!, I don't believe what I've just read, thats fantastic, it certainly is a blast from the past allthough I never knew your wifes name, she always seemed shy. My fella had a "Triumph Speed twin" 600cc, (ex police Bike) maroon in colour, and Billy/Robbie Drysdale, had a black "triumph Thunder Bird" 500cc, that could have very well been an ex police bike, well he was always pestering for a race with the speed twin, and he got it, but he didn't win. My fella was Jack Dean, from "Netherfield Road" Everton.
    Last edited by scousejoan; 11-10-2008 at 04:00 PM. Reason: adding