Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tesco Old Swan

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie1 View Post
    The old Anfield Comp/North Liverpool Academy has gone...............a prime site?!..............last information we got was that it's being used as a 'temporary' match day car park!!
    that's what I heard too.

We are lucky here to have the third supermarket, Morrisons. Its not as cheap as Tescoes but they pride themselves on service. The stores are not so impersonal and they are smaller but for my money its Morrisons all the way. We dont have a superduperhyper Tescos here atm but they are having a big fight with the local council trying to get permission for a bigger store to be built. We are a small town and so far we have Tescoes and Tesco express, two Sainsburys Morrisons Lidl Aldi M&S Just Food. How many more do you need? Its daft.

Old Swan has Aldi, Sainsbury's, Netto and Tesco, all within 1/2 mile of each other, of course the traffic is a joke all around St Oswalds St, Broadgreen rd and Prescot rd
    Any wonder the smaller shops are all closing, its all Charity shops and fast food shops now, which is a sure sign of decline !

Mart
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Yes, the old High street was so much more than just a shop for the headscarfed women of the 60s and 70s as it was a local meeting place to catch up on the gossip and everyone knew each other and the shopkeepers were part of the community and much loved. Alas, the world is changing and it's even too much for some people that whilst not wanting to get wet or inconvenienced traipsing from shop to shop when it's all there under one roof, they even would park in the foyer of some of these shops if they could get the car in.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

It's true Ged, our mums would meet in the shops and have a good natter. They would do a whole weeks shopping on Breck rd or Townsend lane. Both roads had loads of green grocers, cake shops, clothes shops, woolshops, newsagents, toy shops, etc, etc. We had 3 good fish mongers and now there are none at all in Anfield.
    Living in Wolverton st off Richmond Park, we never had to go further than Belmont rd for our shopping - all our shops were on the lower part of Breck rd or on Townsend lane, or Priory rd. ( but we didn't shop along Priory rd much). We didn't even have to venture to the top of Breck rd past Belmont because we had all we needed on our doorstep. ( to what it used to be, Townsend Lane is like a ghost town now.)

As Ged says, everyone knew everyone else and all the shop keepers too.

When getting all these old LRO photos out, you realise just how much of the high street has gone. I was amazed at how thriving Heyworth Street and Byrom Street was, Park Road, both sides and Scotland Road. Lodge Lane, Smithdown Road. Independant Fishmongers, butchers, chandlers and fruit & Veg shops are fast falling away sadly.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    It's true Ged, our mums would meet in the shops and have a good natter. They would do a whole weeks shopping on Breck rd or Townsend lane. Both roads had loads of green grocers, cake shops, clothes shops, woolshops, newsagents, toy shops, etc, etc. We had 3 good fish mongers and now there are none at all in Anfield.
    Living in Wolverton st off Richmond Park, we never had to go further than Belmont rd for our shopping - all our shops were on the lower part of Breck rd or on Townsend lane, or Priory rd. ( but we didn't shop along Priory rd much). We didn't even have to venture to the top of Breck rd past Belmont because we had all we needed on our doorstep. ( to what it used to be, Townsend Lane is like a ghost town now.)
    As Ged says, everyone knew everyone else and all the shop keepers too.
    You lived down the posh end! Our shops 'tother end of Breck Road were good too, and as Ged says Heyworth Street was part of a thriving shopping centre.
    Some of the shops I remember, Addisons Toy shop, Stokers drapers shop, the Ruby bar which sold EVERYTHING! Banners hairdressers and who could forget Sturlas that had one of those tube thingymajigs that sent the money whizzing around the shop to the cash office!

I remember some of those shops Lizzie. Stokers the drapers shop and Addisons.
    There was a small department store too on Breck rd .. ( can never remember the name - was it Brown's ? or maybe it was Sturlas that you mention - it was somewhere opposite Richmond Terrace - somewhere by Coniston or Bulwer st). Can you remember it?

Forgot to mention that we had Ethel Austins, Rays China shop, Toyland, ( down by the Rawdon library), Shorrocks record shop, Telefusion which was quite a big shop selling tvs, radios and there was a good record counter.
    I could go on. Yes, there were plenty of shops.

Lizzie, re our end being 'posh' .. we used to think Priory rd was a bit posh ! Well, it was a bit - more staid if you know what I mean. The shops were a bit more select. We didn't go along there much. My mum usually went down Townsend lane where we had lots of food shops and fancy goods shops.
    To see the state of Townsend now you'd never believe it was once thriving. Priory rd is not a patch on what it used to be. It's still ok'ish, but that 'staid' feel about the place has long gone! The nice old neighbours diminished and, as with all other places, all Tom, Dick & Harrys moved in - this is when districts start to decline.
    Priory rd is just about clinging on.

Anyone remember the menswear shop on Oakfield rd ? ( just across from Belmont rd). I think someone has mentioned it on the forum before. Anyway, it was a great shop for getting denim, shirts, sweaters, jackets, etc. All the local mods would head for there for the latest gear

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Lizzie, re our end being 'posh' .. we used to think Priory rd was a bit posh ! Well, it was a bit - more staid if you know what I mean. The shops were a bit more select. We didn't go along there much. My mum usually went down Townsend lane where we had lots of food shops and fancy goods shops.
    To see the state of Townsend now you'd never believe it was once thriving. Priory rd is not a patch on what it used to be. It's still ok'ish, but that 'staid' feel about the place has long gone! The nice old neighbours diminished and, as with all other places, all Tom, Dick & Harrys moved in - this is when districts start to decline. Priory rd is just about clinging on.
    Anyone remember the menswear shop on Oakfield rd ? ( just across from Belmont rd). I think someone has mentioned it on the forum before. Anyway, it was a great shop for getting denim, shirts, sweaters, jackets, etc. All the local mods would head for there for the latest gear
    It's sad the way the area has declined. Too many houses have been bought to let and as you say any Tom Dick of Harry moves in. Priory Road has too many fast food shops, cafe's and off licences............. Just as well we still have Richards, Supaserve and Georgesons.

Don't think I know the shop in Oakfield Rd, there used to be a Flemings on Walton Rd for denims etc?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345