Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesco Old Swan

Blog Entries

Default Tesco Old Swan

TESCO’s multi-million pound plan to expand a city store has received a critical response from locals.

The supermarket giant unveiled its proposals for Old Swan, which would create 170 full and part-time jobs, to customers last week.

But the scheme, which comes less than six years after the store opened, has already caused controversy.

Some residents fear it could kill off smaller businesses in Prescot Road and bring extra traffic into what is already a congested area.

Tesco’s plans include:

Expanding the supermarket by a third, including a new first floor

Creating a shopping parade around the corner of St Oswald Street and Prescot Road

Building a top deck onto the car park, increasing the number of spaces from 450 to 580

The firm has held talks with residents of neighbouring Booth Street about buying their terraced homes – although it claims these were instigated by the residents themselves.

Concerned residents include Steve Gilligan, 51, who fears his home of 25 years in neighbouring Batley Street may be in jeopardy.

The train conductor said: “I share all the views about congestion but my main concern is my house.

“Residents successfully fought to stop Tesco knocking down a wall at the end of the street to give them better access for their loading bays.

“They have already made their move on Booth Street and I fear Batley Street might be next.”

Old Swan councillor Berni Turner said: “We have a thriving shopping centre, so we do not need this. It could destroy independent businesses and the character of the area.”

A Tesco spokesman said: “We want to tell people about our plans so we can hear what they have to say and incorporate those views before we submit a planning application.”

nick.coligan@liverpool.com
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

No good will come of this.

The day they let the tenaments come down and the supermarket in was the start of the end for Old Swan.

Read this site for some shocking info on these places.

http://www.tescopoly.org/

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post
    No good will come of this.

The day they let the tenaments come down and the supermarket in was the start of the end for Old Swan.

Read this site for some shocking info on these places.

http://www.tescopoly.org/

Yup ! let's all go back to sack-cloth and ashes in St. Oswald's church. Let's build better tennies for people ?
    Get Real. !!!

PhilipG

Was this the Tesco that was built bigger than they'd had planning permission for, so they were told not to use the extra space?

Having said that, I can't wait for Tesco to open in Park Road.
    Somerfield's prices are so much more expensive, and the service is awful.

I wish we had a Tescos in Anfield. I don't like Somerfield either.
    we have an Asda but I'm not an Asda fan. Tescos is better.

Cadfael

The Tesco there replaced a very run down set of flats and tenements so I think that they did a grand job. However adding what appears to be a mini multistory car park will just attract so much more traffic. Old Swan is murder at the best of times and this would just become a joke.

Must say, i'm a Tesco fan, hate Asda, only use it occasionally.
    Life is what you make it

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post
    Must say, i'm a Tesco fan, hate Asda, only use it occasionally.
    Glad it's not just me then !! I don't like Asda and I don't like Asda's own brand stuff. I think Asda is a tarted up version of Kwiksave
    Tescos - better quality of food.

Yep Lindy i agree. You are NOT alone. It's like a cattlemarket in Asda.
    Life is what you make it

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Was this the Tesco that was built bigger than they'd had planning permission for, so they were told not to use the extra space?

Having said that, I can't wait for Tesco to open in Park Road.
    Somerfield's prices are so much more expensive, and the service is awful.

I could not agree more,,,,,,,,,,but how long must we have to wait ? The nearest Tescoes to me is by the library, past Lark Lane.

I just hope they want this extension because they don't think their chances of a store in Kirkby are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post
    Yep Lindy i agree. You are NOT alone. It's like a cattlemarket in Asda.
    Lottie do you ever go to the Walton Asda by Utting ave ? That is definately like a cattle market. It's always heaving and dead noisy in there. I hate it.

We have an Asda off Breck rd which is nearer to me but I only go in there sometimes -- it is a lot less hectic than the other one. I don't mind buying the odd thing from there and, I do like to look at the clothes - I like 'George of Asda' - the clothes are not too bad. I've had some nice skirts & tops in the past.
    But for food shopping I much prefer Tesco.

Steven

I am a peasant. I go to the Asda in Smithdown Road and if they haven't got what I want, I cross the road to Aldi.

I suppose I'm lucky 'cos the 82 bus comes ever 10 mins and takes me to the Tescoes by Lark lane.
    Last edited by Steven; 01-22-2008 at 01:49 PM.

I buy differnt things in different stores. I get certain things in Iceland, a few things occasionally from Asda, and sometimes Co-Op Pioneer in Broadway. I shop around for what I want. I do like to use local shops too.
    I go to Tescos in Old Swan when I can get a lift there - I wish they would open a Tescos in Anfield. We did have a Tescos in 1960's/70s up Breck rd ( it's a furniture shop now) - also there was a very small Tesco on Priory rd which was taken over by a small family run supermarket business.

I Don't go to Aldi very often, but funnily enough I went there yesterday - -someone told me they had good frying pans there - they have, and I got one ! I was told that Thursday is the best day to go to Aldi as that is when they get all the new stock bargains in.

I would"nt go to any of them,Sainsbury is the place to shop, better quality all round, cheers.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast