Thread: Oak Trees

Blog Entries

Default Oak Trees

EIGHT English oak trees have been planted in Mossley Hill to celebrate the city’s 800th birthday.

Residents and local councillors held a special event at Sudley Park yesterday to celebrate the planting of the semi-mature trees, which are currently 15ft tall.

Ian Stokes, chair of Mossley Hill’s Resident’s Association said: “As one of the great British ports it seems appropriate that this historic year is marked by the planting of these beautiful trees.

“These oak trees were the preferred timber for the construction of many outstanding buildings, including Speke Hall, and were used to build many of the ships that sailed out of Liverpool.

“I’m pleased all our hard work has paid off and we can work together with Liverpool City Council to make sure visitors can enjoy the oaks for hundreds of years to come.”

English oak trees can live for up to 1,000 years. The Allerton Oak in Calderstones Park is estimated to be 1,000 years old.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Bravo for that... It would be nice to see a picture of that area.. ... Trees are a wonderful way of giving back to society.. in everyway... bravo...

That's good news. I love trees.

chippie

So do I lindy, dug this out for you. The Campfield pub we were talking about on the bend of Breck Road and Mackenzie Street, remember it?
    Last edited by chippie; 03-03-2008 at 03:37 PM.

chippie

and another pub I may have put up before, I,m not sure. The London Stores corner of Breck Road and Heyworth Street
    Last edited by chippie; 03-03-2008 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    EIGHT English oak trees have been planted in Mossley Hill to celebrate the city’s 800th birthday.

Residents and local councillors held a special event at Sudley Park yesterday to celebrate the planting of the semi-mature trees, which are currently 15ft tall.

Ian Stokes, chair of Mossley Hill’s Resident’s Association said: “As one of the great British ports it seems appropriate that this historic year is marked by the planting of these beautiful trees.

“These oak trees were the preferred timber for the construction of many outstanding buildings, including Speke Hall, and were used to build many of the ships that sailed out of Liverpool.

“I’m pleased all our hard work has paid off and we can work together with Liverpool City Council to make sure visitors can enjoy the oaks for hundreds of years to come.”

English oak trees can live for up to 1,000 years. The Allerton Oak in Calderstones Park is estimated to be 1,000 years old.
    Good news here, Kev.

I have a photograph I took of the Allerton Oak in the 1960's along with a number of black and white photos I took of places of historic interest with my old (then new!!!) Kodak Brownie and also a colored postcard view from the early 1900's.

I just came across the following site about the Allerton Oak that also has information and pics on the Calderstones and other things of interest in the south end:

http://www.allertonoak.com/merseySig...verpoolCP.html

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

I'm all in favour of planting trees. I always plant a tree in my garden for any loved ones that have died. That way when you look into the garden that living growing thing of beauty can remind you of what you once had.

chippie

I usually do that too Gerry wherever I,ve lived I,ve planted a bush or tree or just a few plants in honour of those that have gone before me in my family.

Blog Entries

..an excellent link Chris, cheers
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    ..an excellent link Chris, cheers

Thank you, Kev. At first I misread what they were saying about the Allerton Oak, thinking they were saying the oak is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 which I believe is not true, and then I looked more closely and they are just claiming Allerton is mention in the book, which I believe is so.

All the best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace