Thread: City flat prices plunge

Default City flat prices plunge

City centre flat loses half its value in three years
    Dec 7 2007
    by David Bartlett, Liverpool Daily Post

THE impact of the property slowdown in Liverpool was starting to bite last night, after a luxury apartment sold for less than half the price it fetched three years ago.

A two-bed apartment in the original Beetham Tower, which was bought for £206,500 in May, 2004, sold this week for just £101,000 at auction.

The property had been on the market at £165,000 for almost two months, and was put up for auction in London with a guide price of £120,000.

City estate agents said that, while the price of the apartment was not typical, it was a sign that the market was correcting itself.

It came as the Bank of England cut the base interest rate by 0.25% to 5.5% – the first reduction since August, 2005.

Last night, economist Peter Stoney, honorary senior fellow at Liverpool University, said the cut was a step in the right direction but not enough to prevent a drop in property prices.

“It should have been half a per cent to prevent the fall in house prices.

“This anecdote about the apartment is part of that fall-out, and we are going to see prices coming down. It is just the start of several stories like this that we will see reported.”

James Kersh, from Merseyside’s Sutton Kersh estate agency, said: “The value of a two-bedroom apartment is typically around £140,000. This sale is not indicative of the market, but it shows there has never been a better time to buy.

“If you do have the cash, there is plenty on offer and plenty of bargains.

“There are wide expectations that values will move up towards spring, 2008, because the market in Liverpool is still under-valued.”

He said the three-bed market for apartments priced between £250,000 and £275,000 was particularly strong.

“We should not forget that the auction market benefits from repossessions.”

Earlier this week, the Halifax reported property prices had dropped for the third month in a row. The slide pushed annual house price inflation down to 6.3%, its lowest level since March last year.

Leading global property consultants, Knight Frank, have also just published their latest annual Northern residential review, which argues that developers need to ensure they build top-quality apartment schemes if they want to succeed in the current environment.

Lee Pugh, sales negotiator for Entwistle Green, which had originally marketed the flat in Beetham Tower, said: “It just shows that flats are hard to sell.

“Prices have peaked and are starting to come down. To sell houses at the moment, we are having to ask owners of properties that have been on the market for more than three months to reduce the price.”

He said the 0.25% rate cut would not have a dramatic effect: “In particular, the flats market is saturated.”

He said the flat in Beetham Tower had been on the market for seven weeks prior to being put up for auction, and was sold on behalf of Halifax after it had been repossessed.

Dougal Paver, of Paver Smith PR, who represents a number of developers such as Downing, Maghull Group and Merepark, cautioned against worrying too much.

“This is a market correction and a sign therefore that the market is functioning correctly.

“I feel sorry for the investor who has suffered the loss, but you are always advised when buying a property that it’s a risk.”

He said there was high demand for small one and two-bedroom flats at the moment.

“The problem is the mix of many schemes has insufficient one and two-beds apartments to satisfy the demands of planners.

“This might be a salutary lesson to those seeking to direct the market that the market will direct itself.”

Source: Liverpool Daily Post

Cadfael

I told you I told you said Cadfael months ago.

2008 will be great for the city and then people will sod off leaving empty flats that they can't shift for love nor money.

2008 is all very well for Liverpool but what happens when the party stops, will the new peoples stay?

In 2004 the Beetham Tower was the top address, but now others such as the Unity, Beetham West and Alexandra tower have come along and the market is getting saturated. It doesnt have some of the most desirable residents either

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/england/...de/6501301.stm

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/l...0061-18988053/

Jesus christ, one flat which didn't sell and was a repossesion and it's all tabloid type headlines.

Bet people wish they could have got the flat at auction.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    ... James Kersh, from Merseyside’s Sutton Kersh estate agency, said: “The value of a two-bedroom apartment is typically around £140,000. This sale is not indicative of the market, but it shows there has never been a better time to buy. ...
    I wonder what date was the most recent time this estate agent said "This is really not a good time to buy property".

Evidently he might have said that to good effect three years ago, but I bet he did not!

Blog Entries

People will flock to buy now thinking all flats will be circa £100k. Sure they will be!!!!! Then the prices will rise with interest.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Blog Entries

banks are going to reduce the price of lending too
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

.......and this house price crash I have heard will happen every few months for the last 10 years will not happen. There is an idiot who has been running a web web site called housepricecrash for about 10 years saying there is a crash imminent - for 10 years.

In fact a slow lowering of prices over a long period is very good thing as property is far too expensive. See why houses are too expensive:
    Why house prices are too high. Click here

Those TV finance progs are irritating - ever heard them not be talking doom and gloom. Good news does not improve viewing figures.
    Last edited by Waterways; 12-09-2007 at 11:06 AM.

how it once was?

Totally agree. All this hysteria about there being a crash imminent is nonsense. House prices have been over-inflated for too long now. That's not the same as losing value but actually being more realistically priced which is what the market needs. I won't get into a long rant about estate agents...

...this thread anyway!

Blog Entries

APARTMENTS in Liverpool city centre were last night predicted to see up to 25% wiped off their value in the current property market crisis. Read
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default House prices are falling too !!

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    APARTMENTS in Liverpool city centre were last night predicted to see up to 25% wiped off their value in the current property market crisis. Read
    It's not just flats that have fallen in price. I noticed a house for sale in Woolton which had its price reduced by £250,000 to £ 1 million. If you look at estate agents' shop windows this trend is very apparent across all types of property for sale.

To quote from the above Daily Post article:

Louis Rigby, of JB and B Leach in St Helens, said: “There is more activity in terms of instructions and viewings, but the offers we are seeing are very low. We feel it will probably take six to nine months for the public perception to adjust in terms of pricing. However, the new instructions are far more realistic than the historic stock.”

What astonished me here is that this estate agent claims that it is historically the vendors that have been asking too much for their properties. Surely it's the job of the estate agent to recommend a guide price. What are they being paid for.

Let's be honest, they shot up out of all proportion in the first place, the prices are only evening out to what they should be if you're reasonably minded. My house shot up to almost 3 times what I paid for it which is ridiculous and they're only worth what someone is willing to pay anyway at anytime. Be realistic and you won't be disappointed. Over a million pounds for a view that you'd get out of St. Georges Heights in 1975 is all well and good if only it didn't rain for 9 months of the year and I'd hate to open the fridge and realise I needed a bottle of milk and have to go on an expedition to go and get it.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Let's be honest, they shot up out of all proportion in the first place, the prices are only evening out to what they should be if you're reasonably minded. My house shot up to almost 3 times what I paid for it which is ridiculous
    Yep.

Mr Lea, whose agency works primarily in the Hoy-lake, West Kirby and Heswall areas, said: “I’ve been through the slumps of the early 1990s and the late 1970s, and I don’t think you can compare the current situation to those – mortgage rates are lower, unemployment is lower.”

how it once was?