Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Noel Chavasse

City poised to unveil double VC hero statue
    Aug 7 2008 by Vicky Anderson, Liverpool Daily Post

A STATUE commemorating Noel Chavasse, only British winner of the VC and bar, and all of Liverpool’s Victoria Cross recipients, is about to be unveiled.

After three years of fundraising, the statue, by city sculptor Tom Murphy, will be situated in Abercromby Square where the Chavasse family once lived.

The memorial, which depicts Captain Chavasse and a Liverpool Scottish stretcher bearer attending a wounded soldier, will be unveiled in the course of a drumhead service on Sunday, August 17.

The organisation behind the fundraising says it is still a few thousand pounds short of its £120,000 target, but hopes when people see the finished product the statue will speak for itself and the final sum will soon be found.

Bill Sergent, chairman of the Noel Chavasse Victoria Cross Memorial Association, said: “We couldn’t go on for ever, so the idea is that once it’s up people will appreciate it and we can finish the little way we still have to go.

“But we’re almost there and I’ll be pleased to see it up. It’s been a long time coming.

“Thanks to the support of a small number of local businesses, donations from regimental and other associations and, most importantly from numerous ordinary people, we are at long last in a position to afford these brave men the recognition and gratitude they so richly deserve.”

Sculptor Tom Murphy said it was “brilliant” that the project will be seeing the light of day.

The statue had been waiting so long for the money to cast it in bronze there was worry the mould would deteriorate and all work would be lost.

“Noel Chavasse is extremely highly regarded in the city, and it’s amazing how many people out there are interested in the sacrifices these people made all that time ago. There’s been a fantastic job fundraising and I’m lucky to be asked to do these jobs.”

The site is temporary and the hunt is still on for a permanent home.

Chavasse, and two of the city’s other VC recipients, were graduates of the institution.

The service, conducted jointly by the Rev John Williams, chaplain to the Forces, and the Very Rev Paul Chavasse, a descendant of Noel Chavasse, will be attended by a number of civic and military dignitaries and members of the families of several of the VC winners whose names will appear on the memorial.

There will be a military band and also the Pipes and Drums of the Liverpool Scottish Association, while the actual unveiling is scheduled to be performed by Lt Commander Ian Fraser VC and Lance Corporal Johnson Beharry VC.

Anybody wishing to attend is advised to arrive before 1pm for the 1.30pm service.
    xx

Default Noel Chavasse

Though born in Oxford, I think it is ok for him to be placed here as he lived in our city.

The statue to Noel Chavasse, a fine tribute to this brave man.

Sign and House of Noel Chavasse

Bust of Noel Chavasse at Anglican Cathedral

BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Excellent.

Captain Noel Godfrey Chavasse, VC and Bar, MC, RAMC

A good informative site for details about Noel Chavasse.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Fine words there Spike and excellent pics.
    Well said and done

Fine pics there of a very heroic man.. Very lovely area too, that the statue is placed.. Is that Oxford?

My first ever trip to Liverpool in 2002.. I sat and listen to Beatles Music in Chavesse Park.. Saw the Yellow Submarine there too.. It was a lovely place to have a sit under a tree on some lawn..Natter with friends, enjoy some food in the little vendors trucks.. Just a rememberance, that really was one of the best to remember.. I thoroughly agree with you, that they should of kept Noels Name alive, by keeping that New Liverpool I/II as Chavesse Malls...

Sad state when they just disregard what was there and place a new name Just to attrack people to shop...

Ta for remembering and sharing..

Don't worry the people of Liverpool will still call it Chavesse park, He wont be forgotten

Default "He wont be forgotten"

"Certaily won't be forgotten"! Ex-Medics all over the world will allways remember this great VC hero. "Inarduis Fidellis" Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by naked lilac View Post
    Fine pics there of a very heroic man.. Very lovely area too, that the statue is placed.. Is that Oxford?
    That fine statue is located on Abercromby Square in Liverpool, Naked Lilac. Not far from Hope Street.
    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

It's Liverpool, Abercromby Square. Now owned by the University of Liverpool. Noel Chavasse lived at Bishop's Lodge, 19 Abercromby Square. His father was the second Bishop of Liverpool. Bishop's Lodge was originally built in 1863 for Charles Prioleau of South Carolina and Confederate States' Liverpool financial agent

Thumbs up

My first ever trip to Liverpool in 2002.. I sat and listen to Beatles Music in Chavesse Park.. Saw the Yellow Submarine there too.. It was a lovely place to have a sit under a tree on some lawn..Natter with friends, enjoy some food in the little vendors trucks.. Just a rememberance, that really was one of the best to remember.. I thoroughly agree with you, that they should of kept Noels Name alive, by keeping that New Liverpool I/II as Chavesse Malls...

Sad state when they just disregard what was there and place a new name Just to attrack people to shop...

The statue is in Liverpool,Abercromby square,in L8, though I'm not sure if this will be it's permanent home? There is some plan to commemorate Noel Chavasse, in Chavasse park, by the developer's, but again I'm not sure how! Great to see this memorial finally realised, all we need now, after our recent olympic successes, is one for that "scouse" superwoman, Lottie Dodd

Nice Replies

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sco...-chavasse.html

Already another thread on Noel by Kev here, sorry Kev i missed that.

Well done you

Hi 55, I beleive the memorial to Noel in Chavasse park is the mosiac that was in Chavasse House in Lord St. Have not had a chance to visit new Park yet!

Quote Originally Posted by verdi View Post
    Hi 55, I beleive the memorial to Noel in Chavasse park is the mosiac that was in Chavasse House in Lord St. Have not had a chance to visit new Park yet!
    Do you know where,exactly?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast