Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Noel Chavasse

Blog Entries

Default Noel Chavasse

LIVERPOOL'S most courageous son has been immortalised in a new book written by a former army chief.

Noel Chavasse, one of only three soldiers to be awarded two Victoria Crosses, stands out among distinguished fellow VC recipients because of his extraordinary decency and valour in the bloody battlefields of World War I.

The heroic tales of 15 Victoria Cross winners are told by former SAS soldier and Gulf War commander General Sir Peter de la Billiere, whose book is published on September 23.

A member of the Royal Army Medical Corps, Chavasse served at the battle of the Somme in 1916 where he carried a badly injured soldier 500 yards to safety while suffering from wounds himself.

It was that act of bravery which earned Chavasse his first Victoria Cross.

He won his second VC - although he told no-one in his battalion that he had been awarded the first - at Passchendaele.

Despite being hit twice in the head by shrapnel, Chavasse remained at his post, going out at night aided by a captured German medic to search for the badly wounded.

At 3am on August 2, 1917, he was seriously injured when a shell destroyed the dugout in which he was sheltering.

The medic, whose father wasa Bishop of Liverpool and twin brother Christopher was Bishop of Rochester, managed to get to battalion headquarters and was operated on that morning.

But his condition worsened and one of his final acts was to dictate a letter to his fiancee Gladys telling her that "duty called, and duty must be obeyed".

He died aged 33. His family's grief and anguish was tinged with pride by the news he would be awarded a bar to his Victoria Cross posthumously.

General de la Billiere said: "Noel Chavasse never killed anyone, nor did he even firea shot in anger.

"Altogether, he saved the lives of some 20 badly-wounded men, besides the ordinary cases, which passed through his hands.

"His courage and self-sacrifice were beyond praise."

Supreme Courage: Heroic Stories From 150 Years of the Victoria Cross is published by Little, Brown at £20
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

THE future of a statue commemorating one of Liverpool's bravest sons was looking bleak today.

Campaigners hoping to create a lasting monument to double VC winner Noel Chavasse say they are still at least £65,000 shy of their £105,000 target.

An appeal was launched last November, with a pledge from developer the Windsor Group it would match-fund money raised.

The completed statue, by sculptor Tom Murphy, to be sited in city centre Abercromby Square would not just be a tribute to Chavasse - the only man a warded two Victoria Crosses during World War I - but a permanent memorial to all 15 Liverpool-born VC holders.

When the appeal was launched, it was hoped the statue would be unveiled at the start of this month, marking the 90th anniversary of the award of Captain Chavasse's first VC.

The predicted £105,000 cost should pay for the statue, with extra money needed for a plaque to the other VC winners.

But so far only around £40,000, including "significant" funding from the Windsor Group, has been raised.

Bill Sergeant, chairman of the Noel Chavasse VC Memorial Association, said: "We've had a full-size model made and waiting to be cast in bronze. But that means coming up with the rest of the money and we don't have it."

* Anyone who would like to donate should send a cheque payable to NCVCMA to 8, Tanet Drive, Liverpool, L18 6HL. To buy acopyof Liverpool Heroes, write to Don Allerston, 12 Wexford Avenue, Hale Village, L24 5RY. The cost is £7 plus £1.50 p&p.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

A LIVERPOOL soldier awarded the Victoria Cross twice during the First World War is to be commemorated on a new stamp. more

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    A LIVERPOOL soldier awarded the Victoria Cross twice during the First World War is to be commemorated on a new stamp. more

This is excellent news. I can recall a heated discussion I had on SSC with a person who claimed Captain Noel Godfrey Chavasse, VC and Bar, MC, RAMC only received his double VC because he was "Posh". Have never taken this clown seriously since.

A.D.Williams

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    This is excellent news. I can recall a heated discussion I had on SSC with a person who claimed Captain Noel Godfrey Chavasse, VC and Bar, MC, RAMC only received his double VC because he was "Posh". Have never taken this clown seriously since.
    Ha ha! I remember it well, squire!

scouserdave

Dave, how are you?
    Been on Ebay recently?

scouserdave, I looked at your pictorial site, really enjoyed it.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

A.D.Williams

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    Dave, how are you?
    Been on Ebay recently?
    I am fine and dandy. Not bought too much on e-bay of late.

Anyway hope you are keeping well yourself, Dave old bean.

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    scouserdave, I looked at your pictorial site, really enjoyed it.
    Thanks Shytalk. Just recently realised that I've had an online liverpool pic website for almost 12 years!

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by A.D.Williams View Post
    I am fine and dandy. Not bought too much on e-bay of late.

Anyway hope you are keeping well yourself, Dave old bean.

Not too bad Dave.
    Hadn't been to Liverpool in a while since visiting Sebo in Aug just after his op. Been in Hong Kong and Philippines for 5 weeks. On my first trip back to the Pool, I found by chance that there was a walkway running up to St Luke's Church. I was only there for about 3 minutes when I heard this voice saying "What are you doing here?". It was only Sebo who was out and about for the first time since his op! Neither one of us intended to visit St Luke's. His appointment was cancelled so he decided to pay a visit and I just happened to park up next to the church to buy a drink. Weird or what?!

A.D.Williams

Good to hear Sebo is up and about. Was shocked when I heard he was is hospital!

Anyway pleasure to see you using this fine forum.

Default Capt Noel Godfrey Chavasse VC and Bar RAMC.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post

As a retired Ex Army Medic myself, it is good to hear that we still remember and appreciate the sacrifice's that people such as Capt Chavasse made.
    I had the honour to attend the re-naming of the old Territorial Barracks in Wellington Road Wavertree back in the late 1950's, from Wellington Bks to Chavasse Bks., the ceremony was performed by a relative of Noal Chavasse, a Bishop of the Anglican church. The barracks at that time was occupied by a TA Medical Unit, 165(w) CCS: RAMC. I wonder if the barracks are still standing?

Just bought a book on e-bay called 'LIVERPOOL HEROES 16 HOLDERS OF THE VICTORIA CROSS'. The final cost was £11 and I'll give a quick review when I receive the book.

MissInformed

Quote Originally Posted by A.D.Williams View Post
    Good to hear Sebo is up and about. Was shocked when I heard he was is hospital!

sebo? as in tony sebo? did he used to work at ladt?

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Norm NZ View Post
    As a retired Ex Army Medic myself, it is good to hear that we still remember and appreciate the sacrifice's that people such as Capt Chavasse made.
    I had the honour to attend the re-naming of the old Territorial Barracks in Wellington Road Wavertree back in the late 1950's, from Wellington Bks to Chavasse Bks., the ceremony was performed by a relative of Noal Chavasse, a Bishop of the Anglican church. The barracks at that time was occupied by a TA Medical Unit, 165(w) CCS: RAMC. I wonder if the barracks are still standing?
    They are indeed.
    These snaps were taken today.
    It is now some kind of church.
    It has a 1914 datestone, so it opened just in time for WW1.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lawrence_Rd_-_Wellington_Rd_a.jpg 
Views:	640 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	278   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lawrence_Rd_-_Wellington_Rd_b.jpg 
Views:	629 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	279  

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast