(wasn't sure which forum to put this in)
The Liverpool City Council Executive Board published details of their latest meeting on the council website. Part of it was about the proposed Dingle Esplanade project. Dingle Esplanade is the official name for the widened promenade area around and beyond the Brittania Pub.
You can find links to the full minutes here but to summarise the main points...
Further upgrades, subject to funding availability:
- An extension of new railings and railing improvements from Jericho Lane to Dingle Esplanade;
- Lighting improvements to bring promenade lighting to adoption standards
- Replacement of broken street furniture
- Refurbishment of cast iron pavilion
- removal of two vandalised brick shelters
With respect to Management and Maintenance it is proposed
- Repair and refurbishment of paving
- refurbishment of existing maritime artefacts where possible removal of any derelict features
- Esplanade Garden : renovation of the garden located at the western end of the promenade to provide an attractive safe place to stop and rest; Increased tree planting along upper promenade
- Removal of two existing vandalised brick shelters
- Improved pedestrian linkages up to and along the Dingle ‘Dockers’ Steps improving this historic link between the waterfront and Dingle communities;
- Signage and Interpretation
a) The route is designated a PROW or Public Right Of Way. This then protects its status and the route is then listed on the definitive map. There is then an obligation to ensure ease of use, freedom from obstructions and effective signing. This obligation would then be with the public rights of way officer in Highways to ensure that this is achieved, though the responsibility of parks to cover any associated costs of signage. This will in the first instance be covered by the MW grant.
b) If the lighting is upgraded to adoption standard through the MW grant then Highways through ELL would adopt the lighting and cover ongoing management works within their existing budgets.
c) The provision and maintenance of lifebelts will be met by the Parks service through their existing contract with Glendales and met through existing budget.
d) Parks will maintain landscape areas, street furniture, bins etc. and general landscaped areas will be included within the Otterspool Green Flag designation.
e) Parks will organise for a regular inspection of the walkway as a preventative measure against tripping claims.
f) Should any serious major repair incident occur to the promenade surface, railings or parapet or should a major tripping claim occur support from corporate reserves will be required.
Timescale for action:
Start on site is programmed for Jan 08 with completion within the 08/09
Sounds quite impressive. I think they made of good job of the Otterspool improvements so hopefully this will also be as good. Pity there is a priority list and a "if we have the money" list though.
Creator & Administrator
It's encouraging to see that it's called "Dingle", and not something like "Riverside", or even "Otterspool".
I knew you'd say that.
Dingle Esplanade plaque
See earlier post 82 on this topic for photo of plaque
Originally Posted by PhilipG
Well I can't call meself a Dingleite no more since I moved to Southport. But I come an' stay at Stevens when he is away an I spose that still counts ?
Tags for this Thread