Thread: William Henry Street

Default William Henry Street

At its corner with Kirby st on 20.6.55

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Stitt st from William Henry st on 21.7.55

William Henry st on 22/5/67. This block is still there and all pretty much owned by Peter and Tom Morris who have a shop amongst these shown here. This is the North side of Willy Enny looking West down towards the River.

This is directly opposite the block shown above. Packenhams rag and bone yard is next to Charlie Peppers bookies. The shop at the bottom corner - far right is Louis Caplans - ex Lord Mayor (1964) and where I'd go with my mam for my comics on a sat morn.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Brilliant pics Ged.

I can't help but feel that these old photos have so much more soul - for want of a better word - than most recent ones.

Also, do you not reckon the grafitti artists were much conscientious about their work?

Brian.

I am sending you an email shortly about the pics you were after. I've got them and just cataloguing them at the mo.

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Brian-P View Post
    Brilliant pics Ged.

I can't help but feel that these old photos have so much more soul - for want of a better word - than most recent ones.

Also, do you not reckon the grafitti artists were much conscientious about their work?

I agree Brian, it's these old photos that people like yourself and now into the many many dozens of other people want to see - not endless pics of the Liver or the Cathedrals that are over shot and will be there forever. If i have to see another shot of that wonky shed at the pier head or wasteland shot of the central docks etc.

However, there's a chap being colourising these old photos as people have commented to me that though the scenes look old and tired, the reality was that we all played out in colour and the places looked so much better than they ever look than looking back in them like this.

For as long as people keeping asking, i'll keep digging these out - many files put together just upon my request as they've never been asked for from the LRO before.

Speak to you later mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian-P View Post
    Brilliant pics Ged.

I agree, Ged these pics are what Posperity is all about,,,, thanks

Cheers JB. I've just sent you a copy email from somebody writing a book on the St Georges Hall who has been searching for years for a pic that they've just found on my site, citing it a 'The holy grail' as far as he's concerned and will use it at his lectures.

I enjoyed our jaunt around the docks and up at Hartleys again but once you've got them you've got them as we said - next project with Mart in the pipeline so throw us the date.

I agree Ged.

Although I enjoy and appreciate the 'much shown' photos of the famous landmarks once you've seen them then that's it.

However, with the old pictures of where people lived and went about their business, you seem to find something different every time you look at them. ie. the lady with the pram or the signage on the buildings,etc.

A part of you wants to step into the photo and experience that time even just for a short while.

You can almost imagine the different sounds & smells of that time.

Basically, what I'm trying to say in a ham-fisted way, it makes you think about the shot a lot more.

Spot on Brian. A lot of what's photographed these days will be there a long long time yet and when they have gone, there's a lorry load of books with photos of them. That can't be said of finding gems, many that in fact still remain unseen but I won't be giving up as easy as some on unearthing them whilst those that can still appreciate having lived like that are still alive.

Every man and his dog are photographing Liverpool now, even tourists and kids, you see it all the time. However, from the late 1800s even up to the 1980s when I started, you could be out for days and not see anybody else doing it, in fact people would look at you funny wondering what you were photographing and why.

Thank god for the internet, forums and flickr and those great 50s, 60s and 70s local photographers of ours whose work we can now see.

Photos taken today will raved over on in 50 years time,when buildings and streets change,but there will be a lot more available.
    Had mail from a lady last week in Kirkby who had been showing her mother photos on my site of an open air mass celebrated by Archbishop Beck in Kirkby in 1960. Her mother suddenly burst into tears and when the lady asked her why,
    she had recognised her mother, who had since died, looking towards me as I was taking the pic. She told me they had no other photo of her as they had lost them all in a house fire.
    The next day, after obtaining her adress I turned up on her doorstep with 2 free copies of the photo.
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Nice story Joe! I know it's just 'nostalgia', but seeing all the photo's from yourself and all the other members on Yo. does mean a lot to all of us. Cheers, and Thanks.