Most, if not all of us would have walked past the Nelson monument in Exchange Flags which is situated to the North (behind) the Town Hall.

It is a monument to Admiral Horatio Nelson, designed by Matthew Cotes Wyatt and sculpted by Richard Westmacott. It was unveiled in 1813.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Exchange Flags holds a place in my heart as it's where of an evening and some quiet Sundays in the summer my dad would take me with my bike to learn to ride it. There was a little slope leading into the flags from Exchange street East that would get me up a head of steam and then my dad would let go of the back of the seat and off i'd go.

While my dad sat on one of the wooden benches reading the echo, I would use the rows of flags as a make believe street. The only embarrassing thing about it was I was 24 at the time, no, only kidding.

A decade later i'd be walking through the square on my way to lodge bills of lading in Sefton House and Derby House as part of my shipping clerk job. I'd also be playing drums in a band in the Schooner Inn which was built into the building.

Not many people would have seen it looking like this though. Pictured on 21st June 1956, the war ravaged original ornate buildings had been razed to the ground and here we see the steels being put in for the underground car park to the new development. The monument actually acts as an air vent and as kids we used to try and look down the opening in the monument.

You will notice in this pic, the workmen have put protective boards around the base of the part of the monument that you see from the flags up.

Here is another view.