Thread: Liverpool ONE City

Blog Entries

Default Liverpool ONE City

I went to an interesting talk the other day. The one thing that stuck in my mind was that ‘a consultant is someone who has flown over the city at 2000 feet; an expert is someone who has stayed for a day’

Council have spent a fortune on consultants lately (or at least before the credit crunch) and there’s a huge history of experimentation in this and that - all the way back to the war - mostly on roads and place to live. Very little of it has stuck. And some of the bits that have stuck, got demolished anyway.

Every sizeable planning application these days goes through a process of ‘public consultation’. Generally a box-ticking exercise - ‘well, we did ask’.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m an architect. My livelihood depends on ticking boxes. But even developer clients get confused about what the city is trying to achieve.

This forum is a vast storehouse of knowledge and experience. About what works and what doesn’t work. Where the failures are. Where the successes are. Now, there’s too much suspicion floating about, about others' motives and political agendas (agendae?). Fact is everyone, everyone, (in the city) wants one thing. Success - for this city.

What is the point of trying to sell houses that people don’t want? None. What is the point of trying to convince people that what they can have, no matter what it is, they have to like? None.

Together, we know more about what makes Liverpool tick than any consultant or any mulit-mega-multinational developer conglomerate somebody-or-other.

But let me get another thing straight. I don’t think people who develop in Liverpool are like that. Liverpool is the kind of place where people want to do what’s right AND to make themselves some money. It’s only when we’ve forgotten the second bit that we’ve got in the dwang. Developers (and architects' clients!) are our friends. They are with us. They cannot sell what we don’t want.

So anyway, I think we need a plan for the city. It’s not this borough or that borough, not ‘meeeeerseyside’ but Liverpool. One City. The place that’s known around the world for what it is. A different place. A (really) unique place. An irreplaceable place. An irrepressible place.

We need a single clear statement of intent. Not, you must do this or you must do that, but a ‘this is what we are and this is want we want to do’.

Council can’t do that. Liverpool Vision can’t do that. The Mersey Partnership can’t do that. Only we can do that (and I’m including everyone that’s been born and brought up here and everyone who has come and enjoyed living here)

I’ve made a start (here) But it’s only my idea. The people here on Yo! Liverpool are the people who can tell the powers that be what they think. What they want to see, yes ok, but more importantly, what works.

Most prosaically and down to brass tacks, if you want to sell to us, this is what we want and you know what? - other people will want it too and Liverpool will certainly be back, and we are certainly a place that gets stuff done and we will be a place that people come to, instead of leaving from.

Now is the time to plan - when it's hitting the fan. Council are all ears.

Do you disagree? Do you have any thing to say? Of course you do.

Blog Entries

Hi Peter,

Best of luck with this. Have had a look at your blog, great!

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Nice one. I didn't know Stanley Park was in Toxteth though
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Well there you go... something new every day! http://historic-liverpool.co.uk/toxteth

[Edit: of course, I meant SEFTON Park!]

Go to council meeting and tell them what you think.

I'm amazed that an audience of 100 is considered large at a Liverpool Council meeting - heck our little town of 40,000 get get double that for something contraversial...

If they don't hear from you, the city will take unexpected directions... let them know - tell them your thoughts!

Blog Entries

City Council, Liverpool Vision (Council Regeneration Agency) and The Mersey Partnership (City Businesses) have seen what you've seen and would like to see more.

So jump in... !

Blog Entries

Updates:

waterfront

centres

gardens

parks (new)

Some interesting stuff there,Peter! (but Stanley park isn't in Toxteth)

Blog Entries

Stanley park might be in Anfield now, who knows where it will be located in the future? The guy who started this thread might have let something slip out.
    Paranoid,..... but still protesting about PEEL.
    Chas

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Some interesting stuff there,Peter! (but Stanley park isn't in Toxteth)
    Typo? Freudian slip? Whichever, fixed now. It is of course Sefton Park which is the remnant of the ancient Toxteth Park - thanks for pointing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter McGurk View Post
    Typo? Freudian slip? Whichever, fixed now. It is of course Sefton Park which is the remnant of the ancient Toxteth Park - thanks for pointing it out.

Just had me going for a bit!?

See post No. 3 and the reply in post No.4
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    See post No. 3 and the reply in post No.4
    Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!