Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All Saints Church, Childwall

Blog Entries

Default All Saints Church, Childwall

All Saints' Church

There are registers at All Saints that date from 1557. These are among the earliest in the country. The Norris family of Speke Hall use to attend here. There was once a weird 'child marraige' here in 1544 when Anne, a nine year old daughter William Whitfield was married to Thomas Fletcher aged ten. The reason? The boy's farther John was in debt and to get some money he, 'bargained his sonne to the said Whitfield's daughter.

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Kev.
    Next time you are passing, get a picture of the entrance gate, I think it is called a Lytch gate, I'll have to look that up. From what I remember there are not many examples left.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    Kev.
    Next time you are passing, get a picture of the entrance gate, I think it is called a Lytch gate, I'll have to look that up. From what I remember there are not many examples left.
    This one?

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

No kev,hard to explain it, I will look for a pic of one.

http://www.history.uk.com/churches/index.php?archive=2

Scroll down, it is the gate with a roof on it.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    Kev.
    you're right. There are not many about. If I'm not mistaken there may be one at the church in Port Sunlight village. (I don't know the name of the church). I'm sure a friend of mine mentioned it when we looking around there.

Our church in Garston has got a Lych gate Kev. It's the gate up the side in Banks Road with the little roof over it. It was a resting place for the coffins. Did you manage to get inside All Saints? It really is interesting. There is still a wall from the medieval church and evidence of the piscina that the priest used to wash the chalice when the church was Catholic before the Reformation. There are brasses from the Norris family. There was no church between that one and Prescot in the middle ages and you can still see the church at Prescot from the car park next to All Saints. There is a resting place for the coffins there and the hatchments inside are really interesting. The church is quite often open and it is well worth a look to see how we used to live (well not my ancestors cos we were poor).

Take a picture of our church lych gate - our church is great.

sweetpatooti, That is interesting, I thought that Childwall Church was the only pre reformation church in the city, learn something new every day on this forum.
    Winston Churchill

Hiya Shytalk - the present church building of St Michael Garston was built in 1874 but there has been a church on the site since the 13th Century. Pre-reformation it was dedicated to St Wilfred. The Lytch gate is there and the graveyard has some very interesting and old tombstones. There is a book called "Garston and it's Church" by Canon Swift published in the 30s and has recently been published again with the aid of the Garston Historical Society. The Church's day school, Garston Church of England School, began in 1716. It's dead interesting Garston.

Blog Entries

A ghost in front of All Saints,

Childwall:

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Ghost!

"Spooky Pic Kev"! Let us know when you decipher it!

theninesisters

The Lytch gate in Childwall, I've only got a view from the tower nothing up close.

It is the oldest lytch gate in the graveyard set in to the West wall. The date 1728 is carved upon the central column and the gate has been in continuous use from that date onwards.
    Last edited by theninesisters; 03-23-2007 at 07:59 PM.

theninesisters

Just found the below in my collection too - the same lytch gate from 1845.
    Last edited by theninesisters; 03-23-2007 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    A ghost in front of All Saints, Childwall:

Did you take that picture Kev?

Wavertree is a delightful area and is really much more than the historic High Street area. Did you know the original Wavertree township extended as far as Druid's Cross Rd? I only wish the whole of the High St street could have an aesthetic make over to remove much of the 20th C over enthusiastic use of garish paint and signs. Here are a few photos I took a couple of years ago including one of the now lost, due to vandalism, pillar box on Sandown Lane
    When did Druid's Cross become part of Allerton?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Never actually been to the old heart of Childwall; should get down there one day though, looks rather interesting!
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

I was christened in that church. As children, we would frequently play in-and-around Childwall woods. We would proceed down 'devil's gorge' and up onto the 'island'. And we would occasionally sneak around the burial ground looking for ghosts. I never did see one, and that is because there is no such thing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast