I am not talking about newspaper reports or drawing generalised conclusions from one-off emails from unknown sources. CO2 may be natural but the levels of it are not. I used to work in Central London - a three hour round trip from home on the beautiful South Downs every day. It was the sh*ts.

Housing or living in Liverpool city centre has a number of issues - mostly related to inappropriate mix or proximity of uses (apartments over/next to night clubs).

I make no claims for 'proven science' although the consensus is somewhat more robust and it goes way beyond newspaper headlines.

However... I didn't want to leave you unanswered, hence my earlier long reply, the meanwhile bringing it back to talking about housing, urbanism and urban planning.

But to try again to bring it back on topic, you might want to look at the crime levels in the Boot Estate/Speke/Croxteth Hall Park areas before drawing any conclusions about city centre living in Liverpool. The lack of opportunity and facilities in these areas has been a major housing mistake in this city (and others in the UK).

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
Anyone into property development and knowing what can be charged for accommodation know it never costs more to do up property that is habitable. The problem now with that property is that it has become too big a job and whose fault is that?

Matchboxes have been built from scratch on Daulby street, i've been in them. Big houses all over the city have been converted into multi use/co-habitation - very few larger houses are now single occupancy. Not only is it not fair that the council cannot reap in council tax on properties left like this but it is unfair on owners, let say of the Georgian property just a little along the road from this on the opposite side which manages quite well in the same area.
Obviously I don't know exactly which properties you mean but let's say we're talking about a house big enough for six 1-bed flats. You would have to be in an out, property paid for and refurbished with a reasonable return on your money for under £350k. Good Luck, really. No matter how far it's gone or hasn't gone.

Who knows what's going on down the road. Who knows how close to the wind they're sailing or not. How good the accommodation is or isn't. How many corners have or haven't been cut. And personal circumstances vary hugely...

You say the place was a nursery. No doubt went out of business for one reason or another. Perhaps the business plan was solid as a rock. Responsible owners. Well-funded. But some unforeseen circumstance came along.

Perhaps something that made the property un-viable for a new buyer or a new use. No customers? Dry rot? Death in the family? Unresolved divorce? Who knows. But in your world you lose the house too... jeez, remind me to steer clear of you in a dark alley.

And what would council do with it? They have no money to touch it with a barge pole. Maybe just add it to the long-standing list of moribund property? Flog it off at auction? err, just a bit fraudulent if not out-and-out theft.