Quote Originally Posted by Peter McGurk View Post

Although I would agree that space standards have fallen terribly and construction costs have unnecessarily increased in the UK, I really can't see what relevance this has to our social housing.

It would be wonderful to have every house in the UK individually designed. A bespoke property for everyone. But are you really suggesting that this is even remotely affordable? Or is it perhaps that council or government will pay? Perhaps the Peabody Trust?

There is also plenty of social housing in Europe - particularly in Germany, and France, and Holland, and... where are these other countries where most houses are designed individually???? Cloud Cuckoo land? (Actually, Switzerland would be about right).

http://www.huf-haus-owners-group.co....1/10/mack1.jpg

And yeah. I'd be very interested to see the penny heating bills for that property. Particularly in relation to construction cost. With all that glass, it might keep in some heat if tripled glazed but it would cost a fortune to build even in kit form (which BTW kind of suggests they are not so individual as you think) and some of the guys down Norris Green way (got to pick somewhere) would make short work of those windows.
Social Housing. You were on about housing. These house are vert well made are zipped up ina few days on an insulated concrete pad. This method is ripe for social housing. They are oriented for passive solar. Insuation values are very high. As an architect you must have heard of Huf. They have been goping for decades. They give you anything you like. Glass? you have it. No glass and heavier insulation - you have it.