Thread: St Nicholas, Liverpool Parish Church, the city's oldest church.

Blog Entries

Default St Nicholas, Liverpool Parish Church, the city's oldest church.

One of the most historic symbols of Liverpool's maritime heritage celebrates a facelift on Sunday.

The tower of St Nicholas, Liverpool Parish Church, the city's oldest church, will be re-dedicated following a year of restoration work.

The Landmark Tower Appeal has raised £115,000 to renovate the tower, which survived Nazi bombs when the rest of the church was destroyed.

The service is also marking 800 years of Merseyside seamanship.

The Reverend Steven Brookes, the rector, will perform the service at the waterfront church.

Church Warden David Brazendale said it was appropriate the work had taken place as Liverpool celebrates the year of the sea.

"The was the last thing the sailors saw as they left port and the first thing they saw as they returned home," he said.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

The tower of St. Nick's was built in 1815 to replace one which collapsed on Sunday 18th Feb 1810, killing 25 members of the congregation, including 17 girls from the Moorfields Charity School.
    The replacement was designed by the prolific Thomas Harrison who spent most of his life erecting splendid buildings here in Chester, most of which survive today- the re-built Greek Revival Castle, the Grosvenor Bridge, the Northgate and much else.
    The nave was destroyed by German bombs in 1940- which fortunately spared the lovely tower- and its replacement was consecrated in October 1952.
    Founded in the 14th century, it may indeed be Liverpool's oldest church- a debatable point- but most of its present fabric is considerably more recent.
    Last edited by knowhowe; 02-28-2008 at 01:50 AM.
    Chester: a Virtual Stroll Around the Walls-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info

The Liverpool Gallery-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/gallery/liverpool.html

The Chester Shop
    http://www.thechestershop.com

Chester & Liverpool Guided Walks
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/guidedwalks.html

PhilipG

True.
    It's the oldest religious site in the city centre, but St Peter's, Seel Street is the oldest church building in the city centre (1798), but only part is that age.
    Once you get away from the centre, there are older churches.
    For instance, St James (1778), and the Ancient Chapel of Toxteth (about 1618).

Default St Michael Garston

It's important to remember that the foundation of St Michael Garston predates St Nicholas, Pierhead by about 100 years. There are records confirming Garston Church was there in 1235 and probably also in 1225.

I suspect, with no proof other than original graveyard shape and location, that the church may indeed have been a 7th C Celtic church foundation. This would tie in with its earlier name of St Wilfrid. Quite willing to be shot down on the latter point !!!

The present St Michael, Garston is the 3rd church on the site and dates from the mid 1870s.

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    It's important to remember that the foundation of St Michael Garston predates St Nicholas, Pierhead by about 100 years. There are records confirming Garston Church was there in 1235 and probably also in 1225.

I suspect, with no proof other than original graveyard shape and location, that the church may indeed have been a 7th C Celtic church foundation. This would tie in with its earlier name of St Wilfrid. Quite willing to be shot down on the latter point !!!

The present St Michael, Garston is the 3rd church on the site and dates from the mid 1870s.
    Thanks, taffy. Wouldn't the parish church of Walton-on-the-Hill be as old as Garston? I seem to remember it has a Saxon or Norman font, and I do know the church was the parent church for St. Nicholas/St. Mary del Quay.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Thanks, taffy. Wouldn't the parish church of Walton-on-the-Hill be as old as Garston? I seem to remember it has a Saxon or Norman font, and I do know the church was the parent church for St. Nicholas/St. Mary del Quay.

Chris
    Chris, I wasn't implying St Michael Garston was the oldest church in the Liverpool area. This is likely to be St Mary, Walton which is also felt to be a 7th C Celtic Church Foundation. Walton meaning of course Welsh Town. These churches are likely to have originally been simple wooden structures. Hence the first remains are usually a simple Saxon preaching cross planted on a pre-existing Christian site. There's one at Childwall too which again I believe is likely to be a Celtic Church foundation. There is a Celtic preaching cross at St Oswald, Winwick. Again suggesting an early Christian presence in the SW Lancashire area.

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    Chris, I wasn't implying St Michael Garston was the oldest church in the Liverpool area. This is likely to be St Mary, Walton which is also felt to be a 7th C Celtic Church Foundation. Walton meaning of course Welsh Town. These churches are likely to have originally been simple wooden structures. Hence the first remains are usually a simple Saxon preaching cross planted on a pre-existing Christian site. There's one at Childwall too which again I believe is likely to be a Celtic Church foundation. There is a Celtic preaching cross at St Oswald, Winwick. Again suggesting an early Christian presence in the SW Lancashire area.
    Fine, taffy, glad you clarified what you meant. I would not want us to mislead anyone. I appreciate the information and thoughts.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace