Thread: Durkin Family, St. Francis Xavier Church

Default Durkin Family, St. Francis Xavier Church

Hello

Trying to find out any information concerning the family of Michael Durkin. The family is listed in the 1881 Census, living in 5 Great Richmond Street. The family consisted of: Michael(43), Julia(43), Patrick William (16), Michael (12), Ann (8), Martin (4), James (12 mths), John (19).

Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers

Hi

Michael Durkin married Julia Moher at St. Nicholas RC church in Liverpool on 18 Nov 1860. Both their father's first names were John. Julia's surname is recorded differently on the records I've seen it as Marrow, Mara, Moher, Maher and Meagher. Julia can also appear as Joanna or Johanna. Correct spelling probably Julia Moher or Maher.

Children:-

John, b. 14/10/61, bpt. 27/10/61, St. Nicholas
    Michael, b. 3/3/63, bpt. 5/4/63, St. Joseph, died 1868
    Lawrence, b. 23/5/67, bpt. 9/9/67, Our Lady of Reconciliation, died 1868
    Michael, b. 7/4/69, bpt. 17/3/69, St Joseph
    Ann *Can't find a baptism record*
    Martin, b. 16/5/77, bpt. 2/6/77, St Joseph
    James, b. 26/2/80, bpt. 17/3/80, SFX

Blue

Default Wow

Wow, thank you so very much. This information has really helped me. I am the great grandson of James Durkin, born Liverpool in 1880. You have given me more insight into my family.

Any idea of what happened to Michael and Julia. I have found both names for Ford Cemetery, but I wonder if they are the same.

Once again, thanks

Bernie
    Toronto

Hi Bernie,

The family are on the 1891 Census at 6 House, 4 Court, Bevington Hill, Liverpool. Michael Durkin Junior is the head of the family, his father is with them he is a widower at this time, your James is there too and other siblings. It looks like Julia Durkin died in 1890 there is a burial at Ford Cemetery on 14 Oct 1890, aged 57, address says Islington District, Grave B 127 (no gravestone). A possible match for Michael Durkin is a burial on 4 Jul 1916 at Ford Cemetery, aged 78, address St Joseph's Home, Grave AD 1329 (no gravestone).

Blue

Both dates of death/burial for the parents are right. Michael was boarding at 72 Salisbury Street in 1911 not far from SFX.

Blue

Can you look into what happened to the daughter, Ann Durkin. I have a birthdate of 1873, but that is about all?

Cheers

Bernie

Hey Blue70

I just got receipt of the birth certificate for James Durkin and it doesn't agree with your date of 26/2/1880. Instead the birthdate is given as 25/3/1880. Interesting?

Thanks

Bernie

Quote Originally Posted by stapler40 View Post
    Hey Blue70

I just got receipt of the birth certificate for James Durkin and it doesn't agree with your date of 26/2/1880. Instead the birthdate is given as 25/3/1880. Interesting?

Thanks

Bernie

Hi Bernie

It may have been a late registration the informant may have given a later date of birth to avoid being fined.

Here is the baptism record for James Durkin from SFX:-

Blue

Quote Originally Posted by stapler40 View Post
    Can you look into what happened to the daughter, Ann Durkin. I have a birthdate of 1873, but that is about all?

Cheers

Bernie

The reason I couldn't find a baptism for Ann might have been because she had different parents. There is an Ann Durkin daughter of Martin Durkin who married John Cannon at Our Lady of Reconciliation RC church in Eldon Street on 12th June 1892. This could be your Ann Durkin. If you look at Family Search there is an English couple with their children John, Frank and Henry on the 1910 US Census living in Wichita, Sedgwick, Kansas that could be this John and Ann.

Blue