Thread: Allerton road

Default Allerton road

Hi folks, Allerton road in South Liverpool runs through to
    Woolton road and then becomes Allerton road again in woolton village.
    I was wondering if the two roads were one in the past. Can't figure out why
    Why woolton road should seperated them. I can't find any info on this at all.
    Wonder can anyone please help. Johno

Hello Johno. Just strained my eyes checking out my 1908 street map and they're still separate roads on that map so perhaps they should not be treated as a continuation but as separate roads and one runs East to West and the other North to South. Perhaps one was the road to Allerton from the East and one the road to Allerton from the North?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Thanks for your reply GED. It does seem strange to have two allerton roads within
    a square mile.

Although I lived in the south end of Liverpool for many years this is a new one on me. I rather agree with Ged that they probably are separate roads. Of course a lot of older roads are named what they are because they lead eventually to the place in the street name, whatever it might be.... London Road in the city centre being a prime example.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Not really strange! there are two Woolton Roads too! 'Directional naming'! ie; Road to Woolton! one from Garston, and one from Allerton.

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Hi folks, Allerton road in South Liverpool runs through to
    Woolton road and then becomes Allerton road again in woolton village.
    I was wondering if the two roads were one in the past. Can't figure out why
    Why woolton road should seperated them. I can't find any info on this at all.
    Wonder can anyone please help. Johno
    It's the wonders of old roads.
    Way before dual carriageways they were two different roads with Allerton Rd coming from Smithdown turning into Mather Avenue and Menlove Ave turning into Woolton , think of two circles within each other and you will have it. We lived in Greenhill Ave for many years which was between Allerton Rd and Menlove Ave and there are many old tracks which are now streets and roads that lead to and from Woolton especially round the back of Calderstones Park and through Childwall to Gateacre/Woolton Same sort of thing happens round Booker/Brodie Ave leading to Speke or continuing along Mather Ave to Garston/Speke. Used to have my driving lessons around there and felt as though I came back by a different road to the same place each time and couldn't work it out for a while but you soon get the hang of it.Last time I visited a couple of years ago I went out from West Derby to the Speke shopping mall and came back along the Boulevard finishing up at the Pier Head, great road but never knew you could come into Liverpool that way. The city roads are changing quite dramatically.
    Has anyone else lost their sense of direction because of new road layouts?

Quote Originally Posted by Doris Mousdale View Post
    ..... The city roads are changing quite dramatically.
    Has anyone else lost their sense of direction because of new road layouts?
    Yep... after I left in 1970 they changed a lot of roads near the university, but left some alone.

Driving there in the last few years was really confusing until I learned new from old....

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    Yep... after I left in 1970 they changed a lot of roads near the university, but left some alone.

Driving there in the last few years was really confusing until I learned new from old....
    Then again I have been known to drive through the tunnel when I have missed a turning on Byrom St paid and driven back again and carried on through town.

No wonder this part of Liverpool is hard to fathom !
    I've never quite got the hang of that part of South Liverpool.

I've just looked at a map and can only see Allerton rd leading from Smithdown, straight on until merging with Menlove which looks to be a continuation. I can only see Queens Drive cutting across and not Wooton rd ??

is it me ?

Hi Lundy Lou, allerton road takes a bearing left across Mather avenue
    By the corner of green lane by the chinese restaurant. It then continues
    as what is known locally as old allerton road past calderstones park and the
    Golf course to meet woolton road . Johno

I've just managed to find it on Google maps. I can see it now ! 'tis a very confusing network of roads in that area.
    Also, looking again at the map, I never realised Woolton rd was such a long rd !

True Lindy! One starts at Church Rd (opp the Bluecoat School, Wavertree, and runs through Woolton and on to Hunts Cross. Second one starts at Garston Village and runs to Woolton!