Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macca and Ringo come home for 2008

Default Macca and Ringo come home for 2008

It was formally announced today that Ringo is performing at the opening ceremony and Macca later in the year at Anfield. There is to be a ballot to decide who gets tickets and you can only apply for a maximum of 2. You can register for tickets online but be aware you need to have an 08 card for your registration to proceed.

Here is the link which also includes some classical concerts as well

http://www.liverpool08.com/Events/Re...kets/index.asp

Munchkim

Quote Originally Posted by munchkim View Post
    It was formally announced today that Ringo is performing at the opening ceremony and Macca later in the year at Anfield. There is to be a ballot to decide who gets tickets and you can only apply for a maximum of 2. You can register for tickets online but be aware you need to have an 08 card for your registration to proceed.

Here is the link which also includes some classical concerts as well

http://www.liverpool08.com/Events/Re...kets/index.asp

Munchkim
    Thanks for posting this, munchkim. I am almost inclined to fly over from the United States for Sir Paul's concert at Anfield on June 1, 2008, partly because my sixtieth birthday is next year. I do though have a big work deadline to meet in June so it doesn't really look doable.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Former Beatles Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr are coming home to celebrate Liverpool's year as European Capital of Culture in 2008.

McCartney is headlining a concert at Anfield Stadium, home of Liverpool Football Club, while Starr is joining forces with Eurythmics member Dave Stewart for "Liverpool The Musical."
    "It's going to be a great year," McCartney promised in a statement on Thursday detailing plans for the northern English city's cultural bonanza.
    "I'm very proud of the city and I look forward to welcoming you all and showing you a good time," McCartney said.
    He is headlining next June's concert which will be broadcast live to a worldwide audience. The full line-up is to be announced later.
    The Liverpool musical was described as "Stravinsky meets Hip Hop" with an eclectic cast ranging from Ringo Starr to the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    The Liverpool musical was described as "Stravinsky meets Hip Hop" with an eclectic cast ranging from Ringo Starr to the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra. . .
    Hmmm. Yes. Starting to cringe at this idea. . .

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

I registered for tickets but didnt get the confirmation email, but a work colleague did. Anyone else had the same?

Quote Originally Posted by SteH View Post
    I registered for tickets but didnt get the confirmation email, but a work colleague did. Anyone else had the same?
    I got a confirmation email aswell Ste.

John(Zappa)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hmmm. Yes. Starting to cringe at this idea. . .

Chris
    The thought of another Beatle type festival should make us all cringe!!

Give over you wind-up

Imagine if Wolverhampton or Leicester had won this CoC thing they'd be wheelin' out Noddy Holder or Showaddywaddy respectively.

The fact is, these stars have saved Harborows CoC plans, if you listened to the street interviews on Radio Merseyside last night you'd have heard all those stopped saying how great it will be to have 2 of our most famous sons involved and they'll definitely be going - if you listened further you'd have heard there's already a clammer for the ballot tickets.

Embrace it and be proud - Manchester parade Bez around and he only shook a few maracas
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Yeah. What about Graceland and Elvis. Where is it ? I'm not an Elvis fan - is it Memphis ?
    Anyway, they will never stop the Elvis hype there will they.

So it's the same thing here with the Beatles.

I'm taking my sister and bro in law to see Graceland on Monday.

I went about 15 years ago, it is well worth a visit.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Ringo Starr has quashed any specualtion that the Beatles may reform with Lennon and Harrisons sons making up the numbers, but hasnt ruled out working with just Paul.

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/...-won-t-reform-

Default I know it's a national problem but ... FFS!!

Paul McCartney tickets sell for £750 on black market

Jan 17 2008

by Sarah Gaffney, Ormskirk Advertiser

TICKETS to a Paul McCartney Capital of Culture rock concert are selling on the black market for up to £750.

The Liverpool Sound gig at Anfield Stadium sold out within 20 minutes of tickets going on sale with punters paying £125 for a ticket.

More than 32,000 fans will pack Anfield on June 1 to see Macca perform along with other stars. But it is feared tickets will end up changing hands for more than £1,000 each to corporate buyers while grass roots local fans are excluded.

A Culture Company spokesman said: “We've put checks in place to stop fraudulent tickets circulating but if someone decides to sell their tickets of their own volition then there's nothing we can do.

“We would, however, encourage anyone who has bought a ticket not to sell it because they would be missing out on a fantastic show.”

http://icseftonandwestlancs.icnetwor...name_page.html

Someone who went to see him on the Roundhouse said they had to pick their tickets up on the day and supply the credit card it was booked on and a form of i.d. (not quite as strict as for the led Zepplin concert but similar) Is this the way forward to stop agencies buying them all up or touts on ebay and around the venue?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Someone who went to see him on the Roundhouse said they had to pick their tickets up on the day and supply the credit card it was booked on and a form of i.d. (not quite as strict as for the led Zepplin concert but similar) Is this the way forward to stop agencies buying them all up or touts on ebay and around the venue?
    Something needs to be done for sure, and any step however small is a step in the right direction.

Default Ringo for a Knighthood?

Hi all

I know Ringo made himself a bit of a controversial figure because of his remark about Liverpool on the Jonathan Ross show following his appearances in Liverpool to kick off the Year of Culture. I thought the following blog entry might be interesting to discuss. I found it on Daithai C's blog for Sunday, 13 January 2008:

Arise Sir. Ringo!!

This year 2008 the venerable maritime city of Liverpool (or Dublin East as it is known in some circles) is the European City of Culture and it kicked off the festivities in fine form at the Pier Head last night.

Leading the festivities was the famous Children's T.V. narrator and some time musician Ringo Starr, as affable and as unpretentious as always. Ringo of course has never really recovered from John Lennon's riposte to being asked was Ringo the best drummer in the world "Best drummer in the world! He is not even the best drummer in the Beatles!!"

Now I'm not an advocate for the British Honours system but seeing the New Years Honours where various non-entities, worthies and time servers are honoured essentially for services to themselves (" C1, Ministry of Defence, For services to Government") and where even the ludricously bonused CEO of Railtrack receives a Knighthood the question must be asked why no Sir. Ringo? Or to put it another way if a person of Ringo Starr's acomplishment can't be granted an "honour" who can?

Indeed why did somebody like George Harrison, who as well as his musical accomplishments was the first to use music and media to raise funds and awareness of world problems (Concert for Bangladesh) die without being honoured.

Not for the first time can the great City of Liverpool feel excluded by the Establishment.

Arise Sir. Ringo I say!!
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast