02 December 2005

ONE of Blackpool's best loved jazz musicians, and friend of the stars, has died.
Pianist and singer Teddy Corvo, from Cambridge Road in Blackpool, will be laid to rest at Carleton cemetery next Monday, after a service at the chapel.
A contemporary of Bob Monkhouse and Ken Dodd, Teddy rubbed shoulders with some of the biggest stars of his generation from Shirley Bassey and Cilla Black to Tommy Cooper and Arthur Askey. He also played at the Windmill Theatre in London, which currently features in a film starring Dame Judy Dench.
Peter Burdon, Mr Corvo's former boss at the Galleon Club in Blackpool, said his great friend would be sadly missed by all who knew him.
"Teddy was a brilliant pianist and great with the vocals. He could do just about anything but I liked his honky tonk music best.
"He came to Blackpool in about 1973 and I gave him one of his first jobs. It was one of the best decisions I ever made and we were friends for over 40 years. I will miss him."
As a comedy pianist, Teddy Corvo would entertain the crowds with his witty musical repertoire, even working from scripts written by Bob Monkhouse.
Kicking off his Blackpool career at Napoelons Cabaret Bar on Waterloo Road with Peter, Teddy then played for many years at the Galleon Club on Adelaide Street when Peter moved on.
It was there he met and played with some of the many stars who would pop in to relax after appearing at the Grand Theatre.
"Teddy was a quiet fellow who was very kind, with a heart of gold, he would do anything for anyone. He did a lot in his life, but was very private. I never even knew his age, he took that secret with him to the grave," added Mr Burdon.
Mr Corvo, who was born in Liverpool, died peacefully on Tuesday November 22.
The funeral service at Carleton Chapel will be held at 12.30pm on Monday, December 5.

<<Blackpool Gazette