Thread: David Jones VC

Default David Jones VC

http://liverpoolremembrance.weebly.c...names-g-k.html

Scroll down to David Jones

"For most conspicuous bravery, devotion to duty and ability displayed in the handling of his platoon. The platoon to which he belonged was ordered to a forward position and during the advance came under heavy machine gun fire, the officer being killed and the platoon suffering heavy losses. Serjt David Jones led-forward the remainder, occupied the position and held it for two days and two nights without food or water, until relieved. On the second day he drove back three counter-attacks, inflicting heavy losses. His coolness was most praiseworthy. It was due entirely to his resource and example that his men retained confidence and held their post"
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

When I was in the infants/juniors in Heyworth Street school (late '50s) I can remember someone giving us a talk on this, as David Jones was an ex pupil.
    There also was a plaque on the school commemorating him. As kids, we used to look at this and think it was Davy Jones of locker fame. Where the plaque is now I have no idea.

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 PM ----------

I missed Frank Carlyle talking about this on Billy Butlers show on Merseyside this morning, I will catch it on the "listen again".
    There will always be people who take things the wrong way.
    Click HERE to hear a clicky sound.