Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gaumont Cinema Dingle Liverpool November 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Norm NZ View Post
    The Gaumont was still a cinema when I lived in the Lark Lane area in 63. I must admit that I prefared the 'Mayfair' in Aigburth Rd though, is that still in use?, and what happend to the other one on corner of Tramway Rd/ Aigburth Rd? think it was called the 'Rivolli'?
    I know I saw a film or two at the Mayfair on Aigburth Road, but was more often at the Plaza (later the Gaumont) on Allerton Road. Don't think I ever saw a picture at the Gaumont on Park Road but went to see flicks at the Forum and other downtown cinemas. I remember in 1966 going to see "The Great Race" at the Futurist on Lime Street with my then girlfriend, Pat. We met for the date under the Epstein statue on Lewis's corner -- as the Peter McGovern song goes "Meet under a statue exceedingly bare" -- as many Liverpool couples did.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

I remembered the other day, we called the Gaumont the Flea Pit.....we mostly went to the Mayfair. I remember the Rivolli too
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

As I remember it, the Gaumont cost more than the Mayfair, and the Mayfair was also much nearer to where I lived in Belgrave Road, making the Mayfair our family favourite. I mainly remember that the Gaumont had a lot more (mostly black and white) stills from the films, which were displayed in glass cases set into the brickwork outside, meant to entice people in. The Mayfair had much less in that line. The Gaumont was the "posh" place to go.

The Mayfair is long gone, but it had an organ and a marvellous "swagged" curtain which exhibited a breath-taking light display before the show started up. An iridescent display of marvellous rainbow hues that made the curtain seem metalic and full of fascinating beauty, the lighting seeming to keep time with the organ as it played. It generated a strong feeling of anticipation in this little boy as he gaped at the wonder of it, until the curtain slowly rose as the projected image began the show, seeming to shine not only on top of the curtain as it rose, but also beneath it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    I know I saw a film or two at the Mayfair on Aigburth Road, but was more often at the Plaza (later the Gaumont) on Allerton Road. Don't think I ever saw a picture at the Gaumont on Park Road but went to see flicks at the Forum and other downtown cinemas. I remember in 1966 going to see "The Great Race" at the Futurist on Lime Street with my then girlfriend, Pat. We met for the date under the Epstein statue on Lewis's corner -- as the Peter McGovern song goes "Meet under a statue exceedingly bare" -- as many Liverpool couples did.

Chris
    Last film I saw at the Gaumont was "Goal" about the 66 World Cup and "Were Eagles Dare " at the Mayfair

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 123dave View Post
    Last film I saw at the Gaumont was "Goal" about the 66 World Cup and "Were Eagles Dare " at the Mayfair
    What's so special about the WC in 1966? It's a strange thing to make a film out of.

Quote Originally Posted by Oudeis View Post
    What's so special about the WC in 1966? It's a strange thing to make a film out of.
    This review might help explain it a bit...

Of it's type and time it was perfect. Aged 14 in 1966 I watched the football on a black & white TV as did most in the UK at that time. Because of that this film was on general release at the cinema later that year. I went to see it and it was in glorious colour! Done in the style of British Pathe News but with more glamour and the match action mixed with player profiles & back room business. It also showed the fans and personalities even that old chap who always attended the England games dressed in a Union Flag suite. A magical moment of cinema for a teenager. This is a must for any 40 something footballers. I would love to see it again and keep it for posterity.

From -

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166023/

Blog Entries

Sorry Az, all I could find was this...

http://www.videosurf.com/alf-ramsey-132403

Quote Originally Posted by Oudeis View Post
    Sorry Az, all I could find was this...

http://www.videosurf.com/alf-ramsey-132403
    The first clip there was neat though...

http://www.videosurf.com/video/world...rmany-57927931

Pity they didn't have High Definition back then....

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    Have any Liverpool ones managed to remain but reused for different functions?

My optician in Los Angeles had hisoffice inside the shell of a cinema, at least they basically left the facade alone in that case...
    I just checked, and it's still there as a facade. Judging by the design, it looks more 50s/60s "Jetsons style" than the 30's...

http://g.co/maps/dn3h8

What a shame to see the Gaumont like this.

So many happy memories of it.

Thanks kevsy.
    David ( davemed ).

Every day is a new day. So, enjoy it.

At least the building is still there so as the recent renovation of the Florrie demonstrates, it might one day be brought back to life. Fingers crossed.

Unlike this little beauty, the Mayfair cinema less than a mile away in Aigburth Road. A naff looking Home Bargains store now occupies the site.

http://www.memoriesofliverpool8.com/albums/album5.htm

^^

You have to scroll through the clips to get to it!

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

I have just looked through the memories of L8 pics (quite a few of L17 there, too) and apart from good shots of the shore before the Dingle oil jetty and the prom were built there are quite a few pictures of the Inglenook pub in Ullet Road that has now closed and is about to be rebuilt as a residential care home.

There's also a picture of the Gaumont when it was a Top Rank bingo hall.

Blog Entries

The underground Dingle station is next door - still there. In the 1940-50s, many people who lived on the Dock Road, Warwick Gdns, Brunswick Gds, etc, would use the Overhead railway to visit the Gaumont.

A large supermarket could use the building and lobby the Council/HMG to get the station back in action and on Merseyrail. That would lift the district overall and again make it a centre.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Norm NZ View Post
    The Gaumont was still a cinema when I lived in the Lark Lane area in 63. I must admit that I prefared the 'Mayfair' in Aigburth Rd though, is that still in use?,
    I closed as a cinema in 1973 and became a Bingo hall.

The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    The underground Dingle station is next door - still there. In the 1940-50s, many people who lived on the Dock Road, Warwick Gdns, Brunswick Gds, etc, would use the Overhead railway to visit the Gaumont.

A large supermarket could use the building and lobby the Council/HMG to get the station back in action and on Merseyrail. That would lift the district overall and again make it a centre.
    Heres an interesting link
    http://www.liverpoolwiki.org/Extendi...sit_Merseyrail

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

As a kid we got a shilling on a Saturday for the Matinee 6pence to get in, and ice cream and a drink with the rest. We got a cartoon, a movie and a serial for our money, we were there for hours!!
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast