Thread: Lion locomotive and Lime Street Station, 1930s

Blog Entries

Default Lion locomotive and Lime Street Station, 1930s

It is reassuring to read that the Lion locomotive, one of the oldest in the world, is to be displayed in the new Liverpool Museum Great Port Gallery (due to open in December). The Lion was built in 1837, along with its twin Tiger, to haul luggage trains between Liverpool and Manchester. In 1859, it [...]
    More...

I must say that I agree with what Colin says. Liverpool should be promoting its Railway heritage better than it does at present. Crown Street Station site is another lost opportunity ,that should have been preserved as a mini museum, i think all that remains visible is 2 pairs of Sandstone entrance gate columns amalgamated into the Apartments complex and new Park perimeter wall.

collegepudding

Great pic as usual, looking forward to seeing it again on the 2nd December when the final part of the New Museum opens.
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Blog Entries

I agree too. The Moorish Arch seems to have been completely forgotten about......

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...Ornate-Anymore
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

We really are silly not to be capitalising on our railway heritage.

Some would argue that they day the first intercity train left Liverpool for Manchester it was the beginning of the modern age.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenface View Post
    We really are silly not to be capitalising on our railway heritage.

Some would argue that they day the first intercity train left Liverpool for Manchester it was the beginning of the modern age.
    Not sure about the "modern age" but certainly the Modern Mass Transportation Age

Think about the new thrill of being moved at railway speeds - even the early train speeds - when the previous speed was that of a walking horse...

I would put the modern age as being the movement off the farm into industrial towns - interestingly at about the same time and also centered in Lancashire.
    You could even say this caused the need for the Liverpool - Manchester railway....

PS I think the plinth in Lime St station should be put back and the Lion restored to it's pre-war location. It would be a nice centerpiece for the station and a good history reminder for everyone.

I doubt there are many inventions in the last hundreds of years that have such an impact as the railway did.

Enabling travel between cities in hours instead of days or weeks?

Perishable goods such as fresh fish reaching many places for the first time.

Enabling people to take holidays by the seaside for the first time.

Mail and parcels reaching their destination in a fraction of the time.

Communication vastly improved - remember this was before the invention and / or widespread use of the electrical telegraph or telephone.

Bulk shipping of manufactured goods opening up new markets.

etc, etc, etc. It was indeed a modern revolution which changed the face of society in many ways which previously would have have been impossible, until maybe the invention of the diesel engine or the electric motor.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenface View Post
    I doubt there are many inventions in the last hundreds of years that have such an impact as the railway did.

Enabling travel between cities in hours instead of days or weeks?

Perishable goods such as fresh fish reaching many places for the first time.

Enabling people to take holidays by the seaside for the first time.

Mail and parcels reaching their destination in a fraction of the time.

Communication vastly improved - remember this was before the invention and / or widespread use of the electrical telegraph or telephone.

Bulk shipping of manufactured goods opening up new markets.

etc, etc, etc. It was indeed a modern revolution which changed the face of society in many ways which previously would have have been impossible, until maybe the invention of the diesel engine or the electric motor.
    I definitely agree with the above, but I think the actual enabling invention would be the Steam Engine rather than the railway - about 50 years earlier.

Let's give a big credit to James Watt....

It enabled the entire Industrial Revolution - mass production, international commerce in a bigger way (movement of raw materials rather than finished goods), rail and sea travel...