Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: St. George's Hall

Blog Entries

Default St. George's Hall

SIX months of painstaking restoration work is returning St George's Hall to its original splendour.

Experts are reverting to the original colour schemes used by the designers of the neoclassical hall in the 1850s.

A 15-strong team is tackling the north entrance hall and small concert room, together with two grand staircases at the Lime Street landmark.

When they are complete the venues will form a stunning backdrop for both public and private events.

The work is part of the £5m second phase of restoration at the hall.

Rob Chambers, of architects Purcell Miller Tritton, who is overseeing the project, said: "The walls of the entrance hall will be hand-painted with a granite effect in oil paints and then varnished over. It's painstaking work. It's going to take months. The whole project is due for completion in April or May."

The bright colours which have adorned the entrance hall for many years are being replaced by muted pale blues, off-whites and biscuit tones which were used when the hall was built in 1854.

More....
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I love St Georges Hall, I think its a magnificent looking building. Can you actually venture inside to have a look around, and what was/is it used for?!

Cheers,
    Jock.

A.D.Williams

Starting to look a little worn again!

8th July 2006.

A.D.Williams

8th July 2006.

A.D.Williams

8th July 2006.

Blog Entries

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Fantastic pictures.

I like the little Merseyrail entrance on the corner.

Blog Entries

Liverpool's monumental St George's Hall will reopen for the public bigger and better than ever before, reports Peter Elson

IF, AS hoped, the Prince of Wales reinaugurates St George's Hall, on our patron saint's day of April 23, it will be particularly appropriate as he was the most famous voice to argue for the hall's preservation when it was threatened with demolition in the Militant era

The occasion will be the culmination of a £38m series of phased restorations starting in 1998 to bring St George's Hall back not only into public use, but on a scale never experienced before.

It will be a case of access all areas, or at least as many as possible, with the hall open to all visitors, rather than those attending functions or tours.

"Talking to people around the city, I get the feeling they can't wait to get back into St George's Hall and see what has been done," says Matt Osmont, assistant project architect.

"Not only that, but they'll be experiencing parts of the building that have never been open to the public before.

"This is the finest neo-classical building in Europe and the restoration finish has to be right. You cannot quibble about the quality.

"Everyone adores working on this building because there is nothing like it.

"We constantly have to remember that what we do should be still here in another 100 years' time, so fixtures and fittings have to be matched, while remaining clear what is new and what is not."

For example, on the Great Hall balconies, seating near the rather low parapet has been partitioned off from the main walkway using Pilkington's Optiwhite glass. continues....
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Liverpool's monumental St George's Hall will reopen for the public bigger and better than ever before, reports Peter Elson

IF, AS hoped, the Prince of Wales reinaugurates St George's Hall, on our patron saint's day of April 23, it will be particularly appropriate as he was the most famous voice to argue for the hall's preservation when it was threatened with demolition in the Militant era

The occasion will be the culmination of a £38m series of phased restorations starting in 1998 to bring St George's Hall back not only into public use, but on a scale never experienced before.

It will be a case of access all areas, or at least as many as possible, with the hall open to all visitors, rather than those attending functions or tours.

"Talking to people around the city, I get the feeling they can't wait to get back into St George's Hall and see what has been done," says Matt Osmont, assistant project architect.

"Not only that, but they'll be experiencing parts of the building that have never been open to the public before.

"This is the finest neo-classical building in Europe and the restoration finish has to be right. You cannot quibble about the quality.

"Everyone adores working on this building because there is nothing like it.

"We constantly have to remember that what we do should be still here in another 100 years' time, so fixtures and fittings have to be matched, while remaining clear what is new and what is not."

For example, on the Great Hall balconies, seating near the rather low parapet has been partitioned off from the main walkway using Pilkington's Optiwhite glass. continues....
    I've read a few times recently that St George's Hall was threatened with demolition.
    I don't know where that statement originated, but it's not true.
    Perhaps it just makes better "copy" to say so.
    When the Law Courts moved from SGH to Derby Square, SGH was "mothballed", but there was never any suggestion of demolition.

The Lyceum was threatened with demolition, and that very nearly happened, but Liverpool has always known it has something extra special as regards SGH.

MissInformed

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    I've read a few times recently that St George's Hall was threatened with demolition.
    I don't know where that statement originated, but it's not true.
    Perhaps it just makes better "copy" to say so.
    When the Law Courts moved from SGH to Derby Square, SGH was "mothballed", but there was never any suggestion of demolition.

The Lyceum was threatened with demolition, and that very nearly happened, but Liverpool has always known it has something extra special as regards SGH.
    when i read things like this, it just makes me wonder....WHO IS IN CHARGE OF OUR CITY???????

Blog Entries

Exclamation

Had the pleasure of visiting St. George's Hall today - 25th Jan 2007. The place is beautiful. Apparently a member of The Royal Family will be officially re-opening it to the public soon.

View all the pics here.....
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Oh! Mighty fine pictures Kev.

Gnomie

Brilliant pics Kev. does this mean we can get in there soon then?

I went in as a kid but not with a camera

Great pics, they have done a great job on the restoration. Last time I was in there it was at a Liverpool Uni panto ball in the late 50's, my mate got thrown out for climbing up and playing the organ, what an overpowering sound, drowned out the jazz band.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast