Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool to Manchester ship canal cruise

Brill those Tony, it's a good job there were 2 of us as I didn't get some of those

Now we are on the other side of the bridge. These apartments are in Runcorn and up ahead the swing bridge is opening for us.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Fiddlers Ferry power station. Remember that coal earlier being discharged from the vessel 'Clyde', well that was heading to here.

The swing bridge now fully open.

Leaving the power station behind.

Another high level bridge is cleared.

Entering Latchford high level locks.

Obviously because land levels fluctuate and canals are flat and cannot run uphill or downhill, Lock systems are inevitably going to be along its route. Notice the water level when entering Latchford Lock and see the waterstaining mark on the inside of the lock walls where the water level rises to then look at the level when we leave. You could feel the ferry rising. It's amazing how this ancient technology has stood the test of time and is still used today.

Canalside housing. There was a little estate of bungalows along the way, residents coming out to wave, apparently they never let our blue badge guide down. Then there was a row of houses whose back gardens went right down to the swell which almost went over the top of the small wall, i'm sure it must if a tanker came down or two vessels past each other at that point. Here's another little estate at Warrington.

Everyone will have heard of this if they listen to the traffic and travel on the radio. It's the Thelwall Viaduct on the M6, something i've been across more times than I care to remember, but never under it until now. Notice the two separate carriageways.

The River Mersey starts at Stockport, meandering down through Warrington on its way and enters the ship canal via a weir which we'll see later. It stays in the canal for a short while then leaves at this point here as you can see. Bye bye Mersey and we haven't even had your pleasure yet as we're only now going to meet you again.

Well as we hit the good old Mersey (in the canal), the sun came out so we got these silhouettes of ourselves.

More canalside industry.

A disused and capped off railway bridge at Warburton.

Peel Ports operate a container shuttle service at this point on the canal. A vessel called the Daisy Doardo (2nd pic) pushes the barge structure down the canal.

The last leg of the journey to follow.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Excellent pics boys.....but I feel a bit sea sick now!

This one won't help then Lizzie. Tony had just flushed the toilet, dunno what we hit of his?

My log was not that big.

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

Ged I am very impressed with how you listened and took it all in. I was hopeless and only knew Runcorn Bridge.

Two of the Swing Bridges

BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Ged I am very impressed with how you listened and took it all in. I was hopeless and only knew Runcorn Bridge.
    Well, do you know when you thought I was listening to you....

Ha ha, no, i'm used to it in work, they expect you to hear instructions shouted across to you while you're talking on the phone at the same time.

My Island and Fiddlers Ferry power station.

A Railway Bridge. Amazing how they built things back then.

Blog Entries

I would like a little more information on these swing-bridges. Are they more massive on a short side? I am more used to seeing the one over the Tyne, which is in the middle of the river. These that are to one side must differ in design, drastically.
    I may have to look this up later when I have some time, but if any of you have pics of these bridges when closed...pretty please.

Two from rear of Ferry.

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

Underneath the Thelwall Viaduct was this tribute to the last British Tommy.

Harry Patch

Quote Originally Posted by Oudeis View Post
    I would like a little more information on these swing-bridges. Are they more massive on a short side? I am more used to seeing the one over the Tyne, which is in the middle of the river. These that are to one side must differ in design, drastically.
    I may have to look this up later when I have some time, but if any of you have pics of these bridges when closed...pretty please.
    Hi Oudeis, I don't know what you mean by 'are they more massive on a short side' but if you look up ahead here on a pic i've posted previously on this thread, you'll see a swing bridge just as it's opening. So they obviously span the canal as a road when closed then just swing to the side to allow vessels through.

The Tyne bridge, like the Runcorn one is fixed and is high level. Our dock road bridge is Bascule and lifts which is another design altogether even.

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

I've never fully understood the mechanisms of how a lock works, I mean I know what it does but didn't know about the crescent shaped underground culverts which let the water in etc. Here's someone explaining it better than I could anyway.

http://pigpen.org.uk/locks.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Oudeis View Post
    Looking at the two pictures of the open bridges on page 2, They are centre-pivoted, just the same as one built on a pier in the middle of a river, but half of it swings over land.

Blog Entries

They actually span, from bank to bank?? Thanks...so much.

OK, thank you again for the picture. Is it rolled back before it turns or does it simply swing? This is the question that yet remains, but worry not. As with a hole in the road...I shall look into it.

Liverpool Photographer Gerard Fleming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Our dock road bridge is Bascule and lifts which is another design altogether even....

Not anymore Ged, it has been re-enforced underneath and now does not budge..

Gerard..
    Liverpool Days... << my website of Liverpool images

The bridges swing. As we came near they swung to the bank to let us pass.

I will look through my pics and see if I have any up close.

Liverpool Photographer Gerard Fleming's Avatar

Excellent pics lads...

Gerard.
    Liverpool Days... << my website of Liverpool images

Irlam rail bridge (complete with train coming over it - took some doing asking the skipper to drop anchor for a while you know, till one came)

In the distance are Irlam locks.

The Weir (a low dam) at Irlam whereupon the Mersey enters the canal having meandered its way down from them thar hills in Stockport. Earlier, we saw where the Mersey left the canal to flow down towards Runcorn.

Entering Irlam lock.

The massive lock gates and its winding/opening/closing mechanism.

Irlam lock water level upon entering it.

And the water level upon departing.

To save posting pic after pic of locks, all of which looked very similar, i've spared you Barton locks but here is the new Rugby stadium being built for the Salford City Reds. Barton aerodrome with its light planes taking off is just to our left here.

Barton Dock Bridge - otherwise known as the M60 - from a perspective not normally seen.

The Chill Factor indoor ski slope - an angled building as you would imagine is just off to our right and the massive domed Trafford Centre is just up ahead to our right but somewhat shrouded with trees from the embankment so I couldn't get a decent shot.

A double helping of swing bridges here and both used for different modes of transport. First we have the Barton Road swing bridge and then straight after it the Barton aquaduct swing bridge.

Next up were piles of scrap metal bound for Santander in Spain.

Hitting some more heavy industry now telling us our journey is coming to an end. Cargills who produce and process oils (there's one at Seaforth) can be seen up ahead.

The rising road bridge, counter balanced on 4 columns and 1 of only 4 in the country.

The last leg of the journey into the impressive Salford Quays will follow later today.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast