Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool to Manchester ship canal cruise

Default Liverpool to Manchester ship canal cruise

Last Thursday 13th October, I was honoured to be in the company of Spike for what turned into a mammoth day on the water, thanks Spike.

The trip, usually on the Snowdrop, but last week it was the Royal Daffodil, was a real eye opener with a lot of isights along the way and nformation provided by our blue badge guide/commentator.

The day started as usual for me, dropping a couple of daughters and workmates off to work and getting to St Anthony's on Scottie Rd to pick up Tony at 9.15am then it was through the Kingsway tunnel to pick up our ferry at Seacombe which was boarding at 9.50.

I took nearly 200 pics during the day and a small selection of them will be here. Here are the first 15.

I had to drag Tony off this screaming at 9.45. I said come on they're all getting on and he bawled 'Nooooo, I wanna nudda go'. It's captaining your own ferry across the Mersey and really should be for kids I think. Only kidding. I mean, yes it is for kids, just kidding about Tony - oh never mind.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And so it was down the gangway to the landing stage, Yippee!!!

A misty and murky Waterfront. Well it is October so we were just glad it wasn't raining. The boat was only half full so we got good specks throughout. It did clear up a lot in the afternoon.

Stena Lines 'Stena Lagan' RORO Ferry, built in Belfast and loading up in Birkenhead in the shadow of the Queensway Tunnel ventilation shaft.

The Mersey dredger which takes silt from the riverbed and later we'd see points along the canal where pipes are attached to its tanks to take the muck which is processed as sand and used in the building industry.

Cammell Laird overseeing an oil rig construction and the refit of a Naval vessel. A photo very similar to this (but clearer and from the air) features in the new Liverpool Echo 'Cammell Laird' publication.

The PetroAtlantic crude oil tanker discharging its load at Tranmere. It then goes by underground pipelines to Shell at Stanlow which in August was bought out by an Indian Company.

The Daf bar. Too early for Magners so we settled for a nice cuppa and a sarnie.

Approaching the ship canal entrance just past Eastham.

The on board local artist who was painting a scene which you could buy raffle tickets for with all the proceds going to Claire House.

Whilst in the entrance lock, a Ryanair rumbled over, destined for Speke, just across the River from us. It was also an opportunity to capture a shed for Kev, an idea of Tony's.

We were alongside 'Frank' in the dual lock. As all vessels are she, this one must have been under the knife. She had just come down the canal and was awaiting clearance to leave into the Mersey.

The swell from the rear (no, not haemorrhoids or however you smell it, sorry, spell it)

The Clyde discharging imported coal which will then make its way to Fiddlers Ferry power station which we will see later. It's mad that it's deemed cheaper to import coal when we have so much still underground.

There were stretches of nothing and then pockets of light industry and some heavy industry. Here is a vessel with that good old British name of 'Wappen Von Flensburg' which is registered in London discharging its cargo on the Riverside of the canal.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Great pics Ged. It was a good day. I have a load of pics myself including one of Ged with an invisible camera ha ha.

For the record, I was winning on the toy boats at Seacombe, Ged was nowhere. I sank his boat 3 times.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Excellent stuff, Ged. You'd have a good day nosing around the Queen Elizabeth Docks at Eastham too, got to work there while on a job placement thing a good few years ago. Didn't have the bottle to go down into the lock gates though, wasn't sure I'd fit !!!

I wouldn't wanna do the Liverpool to Manchester tour, the other way appeals to me so much more

Blog Entries

Great Ged,

Would love to do this

Kev
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by scouse smurf View Post

I wouldn't wanna do the Liverpool to Manchester tour, the other way appeals to me so much more
    Wait till you see the final pics. Its much better doing it Liverpool to Manchester.

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Great Ged,

Would love to do this

Kev
    Do it. The tours are done for 2011 now. They start in March again. Its a great day. Have a Yo meet up on one.

Yes, I think the entrance into Salford Quays is much better than just ending at Eastham though obviously the ferry still has to pass our unbeatable Waterfront. Kev, your lads would love it - and so would you adults. Next 15 to follow later, what time does our game kick off Spike. What? - we lost yesterday??

We lost.

Ged I will post a few after you as you go along.

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

I am glad Ged took notice as to me it was floaty things on top of a big Blue Wobbly thing. Anyway here are a few more.

Stena Lines 'Stena Lagan' RORO Ferry.

Looking at Liverpool

Old Crane's on the Mersey

Waiting next to a large ship at the Eastham entrance lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Last Thursday 13th October, I was honoured to be in the company of Spike for what turned into a mammoth day on the water, thanks Spike. . . .

There were stretches of nothing and then pockets of light industry and some heavy industry. Here is a vessel with that good old British name of 'Wappen Von Flensburg' which is registered in London discharging its cargo on the Riverside of the canal..
    Hey, watch it there, Ged. I had a good friend named Wappen Von Flensburg. Seriously, excellent work, Ged and Spike. I think I might like to take the trip along the Ship Canal sometime.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

The Doris T passing us on canal.

Canalside staircases like these were spaced along the landside of the canal for access to vessel berthing points to load or unload cargo for the industry at that point on the canal. Sandstone was a large feature of the Wirral along here.

I don't think there was anyone who wasn't amazed by the next sight. I'd always thought that the canal had land on one side and just a wall separating the canal from the Mersey on the other side but there is actually land on the river side of the canal at this point. The Mersey here is at its widest, that's Hale lighthouse across the way. The farmer has to bring his sheep over on a boat to graze and to shear them. They are free from predators so thrive well.

These cattle though were on the land side of the canal. Too much bloody messing getting them across

Next up is the industry at Runcorn that lay up ahead. We will see a usually unseen feature as well as the bridge at close quarters.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

Right, i'm back. I keep getting called out, go here, go there, take us here, take us there.

The former ICI works at Runcorn.

The Weaver Sluice upstream jetty water level controller.

Old dock and lock gate cemetery. They must have made them well in the old days to hold back and seal off all that water.

Rarely seen until these trips unless of course your worked the canal. The now disused dockers church, surrounded by water on 3 sides.

Our shipmates photographing the Runcorn Bridge up ahead. Some of these must have taken 500 shots. Anything that moved including birds flying over and even when Tony farted, one trained his camera towards his bum.

The Runcorn bridge coming up.

The steel girder rail bridge built on ornate stone pillars with turrets and the suspended road bridge alongside it.

The Runcorn bridge was opened in 1961 to replace the outdated transporter bridge. It's arched span is more than 1000ft and when it was widened in 1977, it was renamed the Silver Jubilee bridge which is now its official title. It is grade II listed.

Looking over towards Spike Island (how appropriate) where the Catalyst Museum is. If you zoom in, at the bottom of the steep road which runs to the black and white building, you can still see where the old Transporter bridge ran from and its stone ticket office. Built in 1905, it was the very first transporter bridge and ceased to run in 1961 when the new road bridge opened.

I can't believe Spike would ever fart.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

He did too!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    I can't believe Spike would ever fart.
    I followed through and the camera's went mad. They thought it was a Mersey Goldfish.

Went on this trip a few years ago,aged about 14,with the school.Came back by train.Don't know how many other schools were on the trip but it was bl***y mayhem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    The Runcorn bridge was opened in 1961 to replace the outdated transporter bridge. It's arched span is more than 1000ft and when it was widened in 1977, it was renamed the Silver Jubilee bridge which is now its official title. It is grade II listed.

Looking over towards Spike Island (how appropriate) where the Catalyst Museum is. If you zoom in, at the bottom of the steep road which runs to the black and white building, you can still see where the old Transporter bridge ran from and its stone ticket office. Built in 1905, it was the very first transporter bridge and ceased to run in 1961 when the new road bridge opened.

Stanley Holloway on the Runcorn Transporter Bridge

Contains photographs of the Transporter Bridge.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

This was just after Eastham Lock. Any idea what it is used for.

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

Nice views along the way.

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

Lego Land

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

The Oil Refinery I think. I did listen sometimes.

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

Some birds we met

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

The old lock gates and Kev's shed

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

Runcorn Bridge

OK BACK TO GED AGAIN

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

Just Adding....I think the Runcorn Bridge looks unsafe, great design, but it looks shady. I never knew so many industries where along the ship canal. The oil refinery, I think they said it was the largest in Europe. Its huge, like a town of its own.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast