Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wilsons Bar, Wood Street

have just stumbled upon this gem, oh god the memories.

I used to frequent Wilsons, The Swan, Freewheelers/Nightriders

and Mad Arthur - he was a sweetie really, he painted my shop once for a crate of lager

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhemp View Post
    He was always getting mistaken for a guy called Andy who at one time DJ'd in the Riders, and don't think the guy on the end ever worked the bar.

Yes they were a local band around late 80s early 90s, and I hope I'm right about what film it was! Those cheap cans of Breaker had a way of altering memories!
    Boss memories and although only glimpses, great photographs, especially (weirdly) the one of the window with the bars which really brings back memories
    Andy was a boss DJ and Stuart who worked behind the bar in the Wilson's of a day used to take over for him when he was off.
    Kerry(goth) who worked behind the bar in the Wilson's was a nice girl and went out with my mate for a while.
    Anyone remember Dev? Used to carry a cat around on his shoulder.
    Big Ken and his wife (name?)
    What was the name of the member of the Cerberus(sp?) who just stood there posing all the time - looked a bit like a cleaned up Frank Zappa and worked on the door of Sloanes????

Another lad called Stuart used to do the DJing in Milo's and was excellent - Kev McDempster used to take over for him if I remember right and then went on to work on radio city on the Great Eastern Express

Was there a band called Roadhouse who used to do Wilson's and done a boss cover of Dirty White boy by Foreigner? Stood out because they had a short haired 'scally' singer

Quote Originally Posted by christy View Post
    Anyone remember Dev? Used to carry a cat around on his shoulder.
    Big Ken and his wife (name?)
    Oh my word - I remember the guy with the cat always on his shoulder! No one would believe that now, but it stayed there quite happy and purring no matter what!

Ken - we called him Grizzly (you would only have to see him)! He lived opposite me for a while near Garston, he was at one time a bouncer in the 'Riders and his wife was a barmaid there - no idea what happened after she got finished up and he took a baseball bat to the place . I remember his sister rode a BMW and I remember Ken having an ex-police Beemer around then as well.

Kev - why is this under architecture, the Wilsons could've been described as many things but architecture???

After that, Ken and his girl took on the food selling in Sloanes when it first opened and then ended up with a cafe near Binns road. Cafe is still there I think but dont know if he still has it.

A mate just sent me that picture from outside Wilsons,many a happy afternoon spent in there,was mates with Stu who worked behind the bar as well as Mike (Moogy) and Alun who worked in there for a bit as well,me and Mike used to do a thrash metal night in Milos on a Thursday and did a bit of stint in Sloanes when they had bands on we's do the DJing.

Anyone used to go the Planet X as well?

Default Wilsons

Ha...just found this site!! Wilsons, Night Riders, Bar Royal, Milos, The Cave, The Swan, Cumberland Tavern....all quality drinking dives I spent my yoof in the early 80's. Does anybody remember/know.....Kipps, Smog, Kos, Noel, Gonzo, Lewie, Sparky, Diddi Dave, Tiny, Irene (from behind the bar), Alger, Boney, Carville, Lloydie n Sliced Bread, etc etc More importantly anybody got any pics?!?!?

Carlos

Thumbs down

[QUOTE=Motorhemp;104715]
    And this one of some group of regulars looking pretty drunk (well more drunk than pretty maybe) standing outside the place, the big metal bars on windows were the only way I recognised it.

A lad I work with recognises Richie (2nd from left) who was mates with Gary Dickinson.

I used to go to the wilsons during the day to hang out n play pool. I remember cavesy ram motorpaul statusjoe tommo + burnsey but never owned a camera back then.
    Anyone remember the bikers from burscough who used to get the last train to ormskirk at the weekend?

I remember watching the band Sliced Bread playing many a time. Very good they where too.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Default wilsons

just found this forum. I worked in the Wilsons n drank there most of the time. I've got loads of piccies inside n out of john, arthur, kerry, stu fox, stu lacky, alun tracy n all the freaks :-) who drank there from late 80's to early 90s. but no scanner. I think the photo on this site is of a band called mere dead men (MDM). I loved the place n the people there. Mike

Welcome + Bring em pictures on Mike!
    I'd love to see some pics of the place, maybe there's one of me losing a few memory cells before going to nightriders or milo's to loose a few more
    Pity it's not still there.... i'd be in there this afternoon for a game of pool and a snakebite or two. I see MDM turned into a punk band

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Wracking my brains and getting 'Swinging Sporran'?

The Swinging Sporran was in the Shopping city in Runcorn

Default Memories...

I just found this forum - wow does it bring back some memories. I remember drinking in the Wilsons every Friday and Thursday night in the early eighties before I transferred my allegiance to the Cumberland. The first time I went in it still had a dartboard (anyone remember that?) and I seem to remember some tartan wallpaper. later the back wall was painted with a mural of a woman with a snake. I remember Irene behind the bar (world record holder on the Space Centipede machine) and also a guy called John who worked there for several years. Someone mentioned the two guys from Burscough who used to catch the train home to Ormskirk - I remember them and their never-ending argument on the train. Every week one would say "Fords are better than Vauxhalls" and the other would disagree all the way home.
    Most of all I remember the bands. Sliced Bread, of course. I saw their first performance in the Wilson's (one Thursday night -I had been looking forward to seeing Ronnie Westhead, Kieth Mulholland and Mylo doing their regular set as The Rubbers, and was quite grumpy that they had been replaced until I heard Sliced Bread; what a band!). I got to play guitar with Sliced Bread once in the Cumerland (only once!) a few years later. Anyone remember a band called Hellfire who played in the WIlsons a couple of times?
    Happy days.....

Found this site today. Wow,WHAT A LOAD OF MEMORIES! The blazing fire in winter. Having to fight your way upstairs on a friday or saturday night for the loo. At closing time off to the Cave. They were the days. Anyone remember little Steve? It was where I would end up on my day off after spending most of my wages on records. I even used to take my mum there.

Interesting thread, can anyone tell me if the camal club is these days built into the part of that building known as Freewheelers or is it the Bar Royle??

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast