Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wilsons Bar, Wood Street

Yes that is George.

Sorry for the delay in Posting haven't been on much with Chrizzy and stuff

fantastic stories guys, brings back loads of great memories.

This film ' coast to coast' , it sounds intersting (even though lenny henry is in it)
    I will look it up, was it really shot in wilsons ?

Quote Originally Posted by horseflaps View Post
    This film ' coast to coast' , it sounds intersting (even though lenny henry is in it)
    I will look it up, was it really shot in wilsons ?
    Seem to remember they kicked everyone out and set up lights so that the balcony was supposed to be the way in and the cast came down the stairs into the main bar as if it were a cellar. Could well be wong though...

I've still not found any Wilsons photo's - have you? Nearest I've come to it is one of Wood Street (opposite direction from my last one and the Wilsons wall is just visible on the left)!

And this one of some group of regulars looking pretty drunk (well more drunk than pretty maybe) standing outside the place, the big metal bars on windows were the only way I recognised it.

Still rooting through old cupboards for more - may yet find some...
    Last edited by Motorhemp; 01-21-2008 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Better scan of photo

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhemp View Post

Ah I recognize the faces but don't know the names, did the guy by the girl have a brother that looks like him?

Also did the guy at the far right ever work behind the bar?

The guy next to him I saw in the Swan quite a few times, but they were just faces in the bar, same as I was to them

Default bikers wood st

Hi does anyone remember Dinos in wood street mid to late 60's great biker hangout was down in cellar just up from the swan (i think) had loads of bikers there. Remember granda reports doing feature on it and had us bikers following thier camera car round town, Happy Days

Quote Originally Posted by jimmin View Post
    Hi does anyone remember Dinos in wood street mid to late 60's great biker hangout was down in cellar just up from the swan (i think) had loads of bikers there. Remember granda reports doing feature on it and had us bikers following thier camera car round town, Happy Days
    Before my time, but I was told ( don't know if its true ) that there was a biker gang in the 'pool in the late 50's early 60's called 'The War Pigs'.

great pic.........i recognise the tall guy, was he in a local band ?

keep em coming!

Im having trouble tracking down a copy of Coast to Coast, I've checked all the torrent sites, ebay and amazon....but i'll keep digging
    Last edited by horseflaps; 01-22-2008 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by H_Asbo View Post
    Ah I recognize the faces but don't know the names, did the guy by the girl have a brother that looks like him?

Also did the guy at the far right ever work behind the bar?
    He was always getting mistaken for a guy called Andy who at one time DJ'd in the Riders, and don't think the guy on the end ever worked the bar.

Wow got to know more about that! There's a guy who used to post to this forum, ex 60s Liverpool Biker (complete with Triton) who'd probably know - think he still posts to a group called scouse bad lads so will try to message him there.

Quote Originally Posted by horseflaps View Post
    great pic.........i recognise the tall guy, was he in a local band ?

Im having trouble tracking down a copy of Coast to Coast, I've checked all the torrent sites, ebay and amazon....but i'll keep digging
    Yes they were a local band around late 80s early 90s, and I hope I'm right about what film it was! Those cheap cans of Breaker had a way of altering memories!

Coast To Coast - Pub Scene?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn4UH22pAiY

Seem to remember they kicked everyone out and set up lights so that the balcony was supposed to be the way in and the cast came down the stairs into the main bar as if it were a cellar. Could well be wong though...

I've still not found any Wilsons photo's - have you? Nearest I've come to it is one of Wood Street (opposite direction from my last one and the Wilsons wall is just visible on the left)!

And this one of some group of regulars looking pretty drunk (well more drunk than pretty maybe) standing outside the place, the big metal bars on windows were the only way I recognised it.

rooting in New Zealand and Australia means something else, enjoy your time in the cupboard , LOL

hi Jimmin105174, I remember Dino's well. but every time I try to post my reply to you, I am told, I am not logged in. so I don't know what ya do about that, any mods reading this, I have given up after three attempts. No problem posting this quote though. Jimmin I have tried and tried to post my memories of Dino's, even opened it in a new topic, it's done now it's sorted so have a read.
    Last edited by scousejoan; 01-24-2008 at 03:20 PM. Reason: adding adding
    Trust and you will be trusted, said the Liar to the Fool.

Regular in the Wilsons 1981.

This pic was taken in Ireland in 1981, the hair and ciggies may have gone now, but i still drink Snakebite!

It was called the Swinging Apple - there's threads on here about it somewhere but a little before my time. Didn't know about Val - used to frequent the Marlborough a lot including very drunken stay behinds on Sundays with Caesar providing food from his Indian restaurant over the road and Peppers a bit.

Seem to recall the whole block was connected by little passageways and you could go out the 'Riders fire escape and get into Sloanes and once wandered into the 147 when we got lost! Was George one of the original Wilsons bouncers always wore a suit and had scar on his face?
    Those passages connected to a club called the 'Timepiece' in Fleet st (at the back of Wood st).

Someone was telling me that they wandered through the passages from the Wood st side and then went through a doorway and found themselves in the Timepiece club in full throttle ! They had a dance in there then went back over to the Wood st side.

The passages were for a fire escape exit route. (we think)

Quote Originally Posted by H_Asbo View Post
    t
    I also remember going into Nightriders before it was a biker place. It was a skinhead hangout and its name was something to do with Scotland?
    Wracking my brains and getting 'Swinging Sporran'? but not sure, that was a long time ago, and only went there to see a band ( can't even remember bands name ) but I was in Leathers and the skins gave me no hassle then either.

In the words of Foz "Happy Days"
    Was it called the Tartan bar ?

why has this thread been moved to 'Architecture Discussion' ?

i couldnt find it, i had to go to google and do a search on wilsons bar, wood street

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast