Thread: Return to the Norris Green estate

Location Kensington drone_pilot's Avatar

Default Return to the Norris Green estate

Radio 4's Winifred Robinson recalls her own happy childhood in
    Liverpool's Norris Green estate and returns to investigate how it could
    have become the scene of a turf war between rival drugs gangs -
    blamed for the murder of 11-year-old Rhys Jones.

It was in the early 1960s - when I was just five - that we moved to a
    wonderful council estate called Norris Green.

It was conceived in the 1920s when the City Fathers of the then
    Liverpool Corporation had a bold, confident vision of how to improve
    the lot of the people who were then described not as the underclass
    but as the working poor.

BBC Read More

Winifred Robinson presents Return to Norris Green at 1330BST on
    Sunday 9 September on Radio 4.

Kev if this is in the wrong place please can you move it.
    multi multa; nemo omnia novit

I was born in Norris Green in the 50s and lived there, up to 77 when I got married, when I was a child, the area was lovely and sought after, my mum and dad had semi detached corner house in Sedgemoor Road, and the ammount of people who used to knock and say, if you are ever thinking of leaving, let us know first. This I think was mainly the fact that my dad was an avid gardener, and he used to do topiary to the privet hedges, the garden and lawn where immaculate, with beautiful flower beds filled with Roses, and 2 trees, one a Laburnam, the other a Cherry Tree. A large front garden, which also had a garage. It had took my dad years to get his garden to perfection, and indeed it was, Back in the 60s my parents invested in Lead Lighted windows, which had coloured flowers in.(All the rave at the time). I used to be very proud of my parents achievements. Then as the years passed and my dad died in 79, the house was to much for my mum, she didnt want to see the garden get neglected, as she couldnt do it herself, so she left the house and moved into sheltered accomodation. I remember the day so well, It was heartbreaking and sad to leave all those memories behind. Anyhow I had already moved away from the area in 77. So I hadnt been back for many years, until last year. I had cause to pass the top of Sedgemoor, so I asked the driver would they do a detour and go down Sedgemoor, just so I could take a look at my old home. OMG What a mistake. The lead lighting had gone(Which of course is understandable) The dark wood facade which was between the top and bottom of the bay windows, was now a horrible white pvc board. The garage had long since gone, but the concrete floor was still there. The once beautiful lawn was now long grass full of weeds, and the once beautiful privet hedge, was now just an overgrown bush. I was so saddened by the condition, in fact if I hadnt have been there myself, and someone had shown me a photograph, I wouldnt have recognised it. The point I am making is, how sad that some people of this day and age, my age group and younger, cannot be bothered to maintain a property and take pride in its appearance, like people used to do years ago. I am not saying everyone, as there are some beautiful gardens around. And obviously I dont know the circumstances of the people who now live in the property, but it really saddened me. Long gone are the old neighbours, replaced by scary hoodys, who hang around on street corners. I was also upset when I continued down Sedgemoor to see that Christ Church had been demolished to be replaced by a row of box type no character houses. I was Baptised in that church, went to sunday school there, my dads funeral was held there. What on earth is the world coming too. That church wasnt that old. I am glad I wont be around in 50 years time. Because I would hate to see what it will be like then. Most probably it will be like The Bronx.

That's sad that. I remember one street where it was privately owned on one side and council on the other and you could tell the difference. Now, I know you're not going to spend broosters on someone elses property but a certain amount of pride in where you're living has to come into it. Some private landlords do appearances of properties no favours and the council should come down hard on these money grabbing types. It's possible your old place is now not owned by the actual tenants but I'd still fell a responsibility for it to look good and have kerb appeal. Even the landings and stairwells in the arl tennies we lived in we're all done out and Debra was only saying on another thread yesterday that they were vetted by the locals in Vauxhall and were told that they were expected to muck in and do down the stairs when it was their turn.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

This Nogzy lad will comment later when I have more time

Busy with the Nogzy website ?
    Looking forward to seeing it go live John.
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lindac8941 View Post
    I was born in Norris Green in the 50s and lived there, up to 77 when I got married, when I was a child, the area was lovely and sought after, my mum and dad had semi detached corner house in Sedgemoor Road, and the ammount of people who used to knock and say, if you are ever thinking of leaving, let us know first. This I think was mainly the fact that my dad was an avid gardener, and he used to do topiary to the privet hedges, the garden and lawn where immaculate, with beautiful flower beds filled with Roses, and 2 trees, one a Laburnam, the other a Cherry Tree. A large front garden, which also had a garage. It had took my dad years to get his garden to perfection, and indeed it was, Back in the 60s my parents invested in Lead Lighted windows, which had coloured flowers in.(All the rave at the time). I used to be very proud of my parents achievements. Then as the years passed and my dad died in 79, the house was to much for my mum, she didnt want to see the garden get neglected, as she couldnt do it herself, so she left the house and moved into sheltered accomodation. I remember the day so well, It was heartbreaking and sad to leave all those memories behind. Anyhow I had already moved away from the area in 77. So I hadnt been back for many years, until last year. I had cause to pass the top of Sedgemoor, so I asked the driver would they do a detour and go down Sedgemoor, just so I could take a look at my old home. OMG What a mistake. The lead lighting had gone(Which of course is understandable) The dark wood facade which was between the top and bottom of the bay windows, was now a horrible white pvc board. The garage had long since gone, but the concrete floor was still there. The once beautiful lawn was now long grass full of weeds, and the once beautiful privet hedge, was now just an overgrown bush. I was so saddened by the condition, in fact if I hadnt have been there myself, and someone had shown me a photograph, I wouldnt have recognised it. The point I am making is, how sad that some people of this day and age, my age group and younger, cannot be bothered to maintain a property and take pride in its appearance, like people used to do years ago. I am not saying everyone, as there are some beautiful gardens around. And obviously I dont know the circumstances of the people who now live in the property, but it really saddened me. Long gone are the old neighbours, replaced by scary hoodys, who hang around on street corners. I was also upset when I continued down Sedgemoor to see that Christ Church had been demolished to be replaced by a row of box type no character houses. I was Baptised in that church, went to sunday school there, my dads funeral was held there. What on earth is the world coming too. That church wasnt that old. I am glad I wont be around in 50 years time. Because I would hate to see what it will be like then. Most probably it will be like The Bronx.
    I am often by Sedgy (Sedgemoor) and it has gone down the nick. Yeah the church has gone and so has most of the park. Did you also notice the five shops ( The fiveees) has gone too. Replaced with flats. It ain't what it used to be.

No, I didnt know the five shops had gone, as I never went over that way. Cos I went to Ranworth, thats were we used to buy sweets on the way to school, in the post office. When I in the juniors I was nominated by the teacher to go to the Post office to buy her stamps. Also I remember buying savings stamps from there, which we saved in the school. I used to walk across the field (Sedgemoor one) as it used to be open land at one time, back when I was a kid. I used to cut across to get to school.