Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: St Johns Shopping Area

Couldn't find any of old st.Johns,but two of these pic's show Charlotte st. went from Roe st. right through to Lewis's, which i never realised,with the market on the right. Also, there's one of Roe st. itself, showing plenty of market related traffic.
    Steve.
    source-L.R.O.

Last edited by wsteve55; 09-11-2007 at 12:22 AM. Reason: forgotten source!

Greta pics wsteve55, I remember the Street market well, with the 'Barkers' doing mock auctions as loud as they could. I always felt sorry for the puppies they used to sell, wondered what happened to the ones that didn't sell. It was good entertainment and if you wanted more amusement you could always get a laugh in the magic Clock pub, The old Queens used to put on a great show in there.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

I think Charlotte st/Gt Charlotte st went even further than that, right down to Whitechapel.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

ST JOHN’S Shop- ping Centre has re- ceived a Liverpool City Central Busi- ness Improvement District (BID) award for its contribution towards celebrating 800 years of the city of Liverpool. Read
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Thanks skg.
    Funnily enough, I was just going to say that Boots is on a lower level than the street was originally. It's interesting to know the reason why it happened.

The ironic thing is that there used to be an external escalator to St John's Centre before Clayton Square Mall was built.
    Now they've got (steep) steps, there isn't one.
    Good planning?
    I think not!
    There still is,next to Beaverbrooks. There's usually an Echo seller right by them. In fact there are two there,one up,one down. Or did you mean something else?

What I'd like to know is what's behind those green doors that seemingly lead under those steps linking the two levels of Parker St. A mystery void? I think it's something to do with the electrics but IDK.

amazing ! Who would have thought a retail business could dictate like that !

Money talks,especially in the 80s when major investment in the city was less than today.

I think Charlotte st/Gt Charlotte st went even further than that, right down to Whitechapel.

It did. Sadly no more,it's "Great" in name only!

Dave.

Default St Johns Market

Nov 15 2007

MULTI-MILLION pound plans to refurbish Liverpool's largest shopping centres are about to take a major step forward.

Discussions are taking place between Liverpool City Council and Land Securities, owners of the St John's shopping centre, about the planned refurbishment, first revealed by the Daily Post last year.

The Council’s Executive Board will be asked next week to authorise discussions between the council and Land Securities about the shopping centre and endorse the relocation of St John’s Market to a new state of the art facility as part of the refurbished centre

They will also approve a lease to allow the construction of a media wall to screen the facade of the centre from Lime Street Station which is designed to provide a welcome statement to visitors to Liverpool during the Capital of Culture year and beyond

A report about the negotiations will be considered by the Board on November 23.

Land Securities is aiming to start the refurbishment in early 2009 with the market moving in 2010. The space currently occupied by the market would be used for new shopping units, food court and a double-height mall. The centre as a whole will be comprehensively refurbished to provide a modern environment for Liverpool’s shoppers.

Cllr Mike Storey, Executive Member for Regeneration, said: “With the Liverpool One development about to open it is important that we ensure that our existing shopping centres thrive.

“Land Securities are showing great confidence in Liverpool with their plans for refurbishing the centre which will regenerate this part of the city centre.”

Cllr Berni Turner , Executive Member for the Environment added: “There are still a lot of discussions to take place but there is general agreement moving the market is the best way forward for the future of St John’s Market which is a very important part of the shopping experience in the city.

“We will be looking at ways in which we can make the market more accessible to the people of Liverpool,”

Nick Davis, Development Director for Land Securities said: "Discussions with the Council are ongoing. As soon as they have been concluded we will undertake a major public consultation exercise on the exciting proposals for St John's Shopping Centre.

"Land Securities is keen to make a major investment in the centre and contribute to the recent renaissance of Liverpool"

St John's Shopping Centre currently operates 105 retail units extending to a total of 360,000 sq ft. Completed in 1969, the Centre is the largest covered shopping environment in Liverpool.

The planned media wall, which will be 90 metres by 11 metres, will have a screen on which adverts will be displayed and will also be used to promote Capital of Culture events

Land Securities owns some of Britain's best-known shopping centres, such as the Birmingham Bullring and Gunwharf Quays in Portsmouth, as well as London landmarks such as the Piccadilly Lights and Westminster City Hall. Land Securities are investing millions of pounds in urban renaissance and regeneration in city centres and urban areas across the UK.

Knock it all down and start again - it's an eyesore!
    Julie

St John's market is a depressing hole !

John(Zappa)

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    St John's market is a depressing hole !
    I'll second that!

Blog Entries

Threads Merged
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

chippie

Default PULL THEM DOWN....oh I got carried away there for a minute.

Alot of people are saying that St John,s will become redundant when Liverpool1 opens, but I don,t know. There has to be somewhere for the pyjama women to go don,t there like, I mean, I can,t see the Duck of Westminster who will be on the door, letting that shower in, can you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12