Thread: Newsham Park

Default Newsham Park

I see work is starting soon on a new sports pavilion in Newsham Park.

Where about in the Park, Gnash??

Ditto.

Where about in the Park, Gnash??

No signs of it yet.

collegepudding

Where Gardner's Drive meets Lister Drive opp the small lake.Take offs are being done now and it should start in the next few weeks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GNASHER View Post
    Where Gardner's Drive meets Lister Drive opp the small lake.Take offs are being done now and it should start in the next few weeks.
    More's the pity from what I've seen of it. From the drawings, it looks like a burnt out public toilet already.

Good to see something happening there.

I'll have to and have a look.

See if you can take a pic of it please Gnasher and post it up. Ta !

collegepudding

Blog Entries

From the planning permission. Copyright as noted:

06-VISUALS by uploaded from LCC website, on Flickr

What a pity - in such a beautiful park too...

Thanks for the info,Peter.

20 /20 vision ?

If that design is their vision of whats suitable for Newsham Park, then I suggest they Should Have Gone To Specsavers.

It looks like its a special order from B&Q Shed department !

collegepudding

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by collegepudding View Post
    Thanks for the info,Peter.

20 /20 vision ?

If that design is their vision of whats suitable for Newsham Park, then I suggest they Should Have Gone To Specsavers.

It looks like its a special order from B&Q Shed department !

collegepudding
    Well it’s a bit worse than that. This excrescence will be an actual blot on an actually very beautiful landscape.

I have read of the day when Part I professional examinations would require the student to draw and detail a building (an Edwardian bandstand) befitting such a landscape.

In other words this is a basic requirement. A basic skill of architectural design. Readily despatched to a pass standard by a technician within the context of an exam under examination conditions.

Now 20/20 are not architects. Mouchel run 20/20. They are engineers. This ‘building’ has not even had the sniff of an architectural barmaid’s apron. No doubt prepared by an ‘architectural assistant’. And if so, by one who has surrendered his or her pretensions to good and attractive design a long, long time ago - if indeed they ever had any.

But most of all these ‘professionals’ are economical or apparently so. A quick look at the plans and you’ll see trouble and future expense all over them. And they are praised for it. Upfront sensible and durable design? - we can’t afford that.

And, less than half-inch (8mm) thick plastic plank cladding glued (yes, glued) to blockwork in an unsupervised public space in the middle of the city - Good Luck!

So why do such people get the work? Because they are ‘practical’ . They have no truck with frippery and aesthetics.

However, they suspect they should. And they produce ‘visuals’ like this as a consequence.

This trash is about as visually literate as the burnt-out shell it will undoubtedly become or at least look like, within the space of six months. Mark the date.

"Good to see something happening there"? I'd rather boil my head in goose-****.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter McGurk View Post
    Now 20/20 are not architects.
    I think you will find that they are.They have around 200 architects in the group.
    My last big job was a school for 20/20.It was a good build,with just a few things I didn't like.But the client was happy.
    We don't know what the client asked for.They have to agree the design.
    I will say,I don't like the building and don't think it is right for the park.

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by collegepudding View Post
    See if you can take a pic of it please Gnasher and post it up. Ta !

collegepudding
    Had alook today.Still alot going on.I'll call in next week and have a word with 'Big Ron' the project manager.He is always good for a chat and a cup of tea.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GNASHER View Post
    I think you will find that they are.They have around 200 architects in the group.
    My last big job was a school for 20/20.It was a good build,with just a few things I didn't like.But the client was happy.
    We don't know what the client asked for.They have to agree the design.
    I will say,I don't like the building and don't think it is right for the park.

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

Had alook today.Still alot going on.I'll call in next week and have a word with 'Big Ron' the project manager.He is always good for a chat and a cup of tea.
    "2020 delivers professional services relating to property, highways and public realm to clients in the public and private sector.

We work closely with our clients and partners to deliver projects that improve day to day life for millions of people. This includes projects like the Hall Lane and Edge Lane corridor improvement schemes, the Liverpool cruise liner facility, the public realm improvements at the Pier Head, the design of exciting new schools such as Alsop High School and Four Oaks Primary School, and the restoration of St Georges Hall and the Epstein Theatre.

2020 is part of the Mouchel group, an infrastructure and business services group that provides many of the design, managerial and engineering services that support modern society. As part of Mouchel, we are able to draw upon a wide range of additional expertise and resource for the benefit of our clients."

2020 may have architects on their staff. To be called such they need to be registered as architects. To have 200 registered architects on the staff would be extraordinary indeed. They may have that many 'architectural staff' ie., part-qualified architects or fully-qualified technicians.

They are very careful to say what they are and they do not say that they are architects. They say they do 'buildings' (not Architecture). They are not an architectural practice. As such they are not architects. Frankly I'd expect better than this 'design' from a first-year student.

Whatever the client asked for, I am sure the client did not ask for trouble with this 'building'. It puts 'Architecture' and it has to be said, the aspiration of the client to shame. Enjoy your tea.

Sorry for the rant, but this is so bad - depressingly so.